ok so the itouch and iphone are looking nice now....
Jul 15, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your whole iTunes library basically becomes your iPod Library, you can do anything to it you can do to your iPod Music Library, which includes adjusting volume.

Thanks, and also thanks to Carlosgp for this answer.

This is a really great feature, in my opinion. Yes, you could always do this with a laptop and Airport Express (and other solutions I'm sure), but I don't know of another DAP that will allow remote control of a computer-based music library from a hand-held device.

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #32 of 48
Ok, one more question if anybody is still following this thread...

If I am sending files from my PC (iTunes) to an Airport Express via wireless, and then into powered speakers, where's the DAC? I am assuming the use of the Airport Express analog output via cable.

This process can't be using the DAC on the soundcard. If there is a DAC in the Airport Express, it must be a pretty bad one. I'm confused.

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #34 of 48
So there is a DAC in the Airport Express unit?

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So there is a DAC in the Airport Express unit?

It does have an analogue out, so it must have some form of DAC in it, but as the previous poster just said, the analogue out isn't good, and it sounds much better when used as a digital source to an external DAC.

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by rei_yano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so just use it in conjunction with a dac (digital out) and then dac goes to amp and then to speakers?

Yes, that's how I interpret the answer. It defeats my idea, which was to use an Airport Express plugged into the back of Audioengine 5 powered speakers as a small portable stereo. If I need a DAC stacked on top of there, I might as well go with an amplifier and two stereo speakers because it won't be so portable anymore.

Jul 16, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #38 of 48
are the iphone and touch exactly the same dap wise? besides the extra functions found on the phone?

additionaly is the iphone any good as a phone?
confused.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #39 of 48
On my iPod Touch and Re2 iems alac and flac sound the same. So I just convert everything to alac. I use XLD to convert flac to alac. I use Xact to split single file flac using cue files. As for data storage, I simply tick off music I won't be listening to for some time to save space.

Although multimedia players like the Zodplay can handle flac, I really see no reason for me to use it. I like the convenience and graphics of the oem interfaces. Best of all is I know everything is backed up on my Mac.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On my iPod Touch and Re2 iems alac and flac sound the same. So I just convert everything to alac. I use XLD to convert flac to alac. I use Xact to split single file flac using cue files. As for data storage, I simply tick off music I won't be listening to for some time to save space.

Although multimedia players like the Zodplay can handle flac, I really see no reason for me to use it. I like the convenience and graphics of the oem interfaces. Best of all is I know everything is backed up on my Mac.

I want to maintain my flac usage for personal ethics. I just appreciate it being open source and being built by the community. Its a personal thing and I can be pretty stubborn.

Im sure vlc will eventually do what we want it to and then eventually be skinable or look halfway decent. who knows but I believe that the community will likely pull through.
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #41 of 48
vlc4iphone is now called Zodplay. However it seems you have to be a registered donor to get it. It facilitates drag and drop and file browsing. But you need to prep your iphone/touch to have space for apps. It expands to 25mb when installed. You can use Bosstool to move your apps to the larger partition.

A Zodplay hack was released on Installer. However it fails to download.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #42 of 48
when did we get to express? haha, i got hooked up. yeah express has dac of course as it outputs your music in analogue or digital. i have it hooked up digitally to my receiver. i have used it directly from analogue to the receiver before and to headphones: not bad but not exactly what i would like to spend the rest of my days listening to

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #43 of 48
shigzeo,

You say the analog output is not bad... could it provide decent background music for a party or outdoor event? That's the application I had in mind. My serious listening is done on the headphone rig anyway.

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #44 of 48
Airport Express has a "normal" sounding analog DAC. Not exceptionally bad nor exceptionally good. If you are having a party for audiophiles then I would suggest using the digital out to a DAC. If you are having a party for "non geeks" then you can go ahead and use an analog connection. Airport Express is bit perfect with iTunes + Airtunes and also with Cog.app and Airfoil (if you need flac on OSX). If you are using a PC then stick to Airtunes over iTunes.

I'll try to muster the energy to connect my SE530 straight to the Express (using some crappy buds as guinea pigs first).

Digital out to a DAC sounds great and only then do you realize that the built in DAC on the Express is a bit muddy.

Remember you can control iTunes and WMP with just about any mobile phone provided you have Salling Clicker.

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #45 of 48
haha, for party use or anything with guests unless it is a blind listening test or something, it is perfect. it sounds good, just won't compare with most of the euipment in our homes. it is better than the source that many people buy from the likes of best buy etc and is far better than my parents source component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back