ok so the itouch and iphone are looking nice now....
Jul 13, 2008 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

rei_yano

100+ Head-Fier
I never thought I would ever want one but Im starting to salivate. the pandora radio app looks amazing and the multitude of other apps is plain awesome. however before I buy something like this there is one simple issue and thats storage space.

I was thinking it would be possible somehow through homebrew to maybe access a shared hdd or a networked drive and play files off of that from the unit. thus making it possible to listen to awesome music around the house and just maybe through the net (probably a pipe dream on that one). if this is already possible then excuse my newbishness. anyone else on the same boat?
confused.gif

----------------
Now playing: Animal Collective - Unsolved Mysteries

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does indeed!
smily_headphones1.gif

if someone can get this thing to run flacs from my external hdd omg I would have found my dreamboat.

----------------
Now playing: Port O'Brien - Split

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 48
The Touch....perhaps, but no iPhone for me. Reports are coming in about the shortcomings and they're numerous enough to keep me away. I've read of yellow tinted screens, battery life of 4-5 hours on 3G, no copy and paste, no MMS, lackluster camera and no video ability, no flash support and a contract price that will make the final cost very uncomfortable when it's considered. Nope, right now it has far too many limitations to be taken seriously as a tool and it costs way too much for a novelty.

Having said that I'd be all over the Touch if it had a larger drive. That one I like.....a lot.

edit: oh and I forgot a couple of other "issues" with the iPhone. Other reports say no support for stereo BT headsets as well as issues with dropped calls if you decide to unplug the headset from the jack during the call.

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Touch....perhaps, but no iPhone for me. Reports are coming in about the shortcomings and they're numerous enough to keep me away. I've read of yellow tinted screens, battery life of 4-5 hours on 3G, no copy and paste, no MMS, lackluster camera and no video ability, no flash support and a contract price that will make the final cost very uncomfortable when it's considered. Nope, right now it has far too many limitations to be taken seriously as a tool and it costs way too much for a novelty.

Having said that I'd be all over the Touch if it had a larger drive. That one I like.....a lot.

edit: oh and I forgot a couple of other "issues" with the iPhone. Other reports say no support for stereo BT headsets as well as issues with dropped calls if you decide to unplug the headset from the jack during the call.

ouch well Im not needing a phone anyways lol. Im just really excited about having a portable unit and all my music stored at a stationary area. thus the unit could be thin and small but have the capacity of 500 gb via networked or shared hdd. maybe also access via web server... that would be awesome.

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 48
32 GB on the Touch isn't enough? You might want to wait for software version 2.0.1 though.

Mooch

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 48
I never thought I would get the ipod touch because it seemed like b*stard child of the iphone. But man...it is much more than an mp3 player that is for sure. I got a 32gb here on the forums for a nice price and am on the look out for another one now. It is great as a psuedo pda-like device with the calendar syncing and other applications.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
32 GB on the Touch isn't enough? You might want to wait for software version 2.0.1 though.

Mooch

my flac collection from my library of cds is at the moment 64.5gb and growing since I still have only transfered something like 60 - 70 percent of my collection.
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 48
My ALAC collection is bigger than 32GB but I still really enjoy my Touch. You don't really need all; that music with you at once. I tend to take off tracks I don't like from albums. That way it saves a lot of space
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by rei_yano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my flac collection from my library of cds is at the moment 64.5gb and growing since I still have only transfered something like 60 - 70 percent of my collection.
biggrin.gif

You'll learn to deal with it, don't worry. My music collection is over 160GB, and I was fine with the 8GB Nano and am still fine with the 16GB Touch.

There are some times I miss the ability to be more indecisive, but almost all the time it's not a big deal.

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 48
If you're just wanting music around the house, the touch and iphone now have remote control of itunes. That is, with an airport express ($100) hooked up to your dac/ stereo, you can control your entire itunes library from your touch. So you can have infinite music, at least in your house... It shows album art, pause/ ff, etc...

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ALAC collection is bigger than 32GB but I still really enjoy my Touch. You don't really need all; that music with you at once. I tend to take off tracks I don't like from albums. That way it saves a lot of space
biggrin.gif

My Apple Lossless collection is 60GB, and I live happily with a 4GB iPod nano.
Its so easy to add/remove tracks, so its plenty large for my use...

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by velingara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're just wanting music around the house, the touch and iphone now have remote control of itunes. That is, with an airport express ($100) hooked up to your dac/ stereo, you can control your entire itunes library from your touch. So you can have infinite music, at least in your house... It shows album art, pause/ ff, etc...

Remote really is FANTASTIC. I sat all saturday evening listening to music on my lounge stereo controlled from the sofa via remote on my 2.0 touch. The best app on the ipod touch I've used so far and that includes all the jailbreak apps I've tried!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back