Ok I'm on the look for another...
Mar 15, 2010 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BassThor

100+ Head-Fier
bang-for-the-buck IEM, I grew tired of the TF10 constantly popping out of my ears, and the eterna not isolating good enough, SO! I'm back at square one and I'm wondering if you could point me in the direction of a 50$ IEM with the following characteristics:

- Defined quality bass (I love thy, beyer'ish bass!)
- Good soundstage
- Good fit / isolation (fits the Sony Hybrid tips)
- Price around 50$ (max 80$! Ok?)
(they will be used with the teclast T51/sflo2, playing mainly metal)

I'll be giving the Sleek Audio S1 a listen when I've watched my friend unwrap his present, but other than that I'm open for your loving opinions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 14
Have you taken a look at joker's iem thread? It might be a good way to start since most of these are budget iem's. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...1-10-a-453836/

I'm actually in a similar situation and looking for something like that without the metal as music or the T51. I've been looking at the PL30 and PL50 and looking up reviews on them and such.

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 14
have a look at the Jays S-Jays, I personally am very pleased with them.
They produce loads of bass and the other frequenties are very clear aswell.
The durability is perfect and they also come with quite a few handy extras.

You can also have a look at the Denon AH-C700s, havent heard these myself but I've read that these are quite good aswell. They were just a bit too expensive for me when I was looking for IEMs.

I dont know if you can get much good for 50 dollars, but your probably able to get the S-Jays for around 80, the denons could be a bit more though.
But keep in mind that its probably worth it, if you pay a bit more you will probably have a pair of earphones that will last you for years if you handle them with care.

For instance, before I got the S-Jays I bought myself a pair of V-Moda Bass Freqs because they were quite cheap (about 50 euros, while the s-jays cost me 85) and were supposed to produce alot of bass.
Producing alot of bass they certainly did, but the durability was proper sh** and the cables broke down on me 2 times in about 3 months.
Thas why I decided to pay a bit more on earphones this time and I've been having the S-Jays for about 6 months now and never had any problems with them. I'm sure they will last me for years to come.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 14
Thx ben, I'm really considering those Maximo IEM's, from what I read they sound like what I want.
smily_headphones1.gif

Rawster; yea I've read |joker|'s and ClieOS IEM review threads a few times. But it's hard because a most of the audiophiles here on head-fi treasure neutral/clear sound,
but for (me, the subjective ME) good sounding metal's mid and bass should be.. hmm.. well, "warmer" I guess. I don't have a amp to tweak the sound either, so I'd love some IEM made-for-metal!
smily_headphones1.gif

Scrivs: I can't seem to find the S-Jays for any lower than 99$ (ebay+amazon)? Yeah, I know the more you pour into it the better they get.
But I'm really satisfied with my Beyer's, just need a cheap IEM to pair with the T51 whenever I'm out of the house (not so often..)!

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 14
Just noticed that the S-Jays have gotten cheaper on the official Jays website.
They now go for 47.97 pounds... which is around 72 dollars or something.
I ordered them from the official website aswell and was very pleased with the delivery, though I'm not sure how much the shipping cost will be for America.
Just depends on what you want yourself, I think they are great but its totally up to you ofcourse :wink:

Good luck with your search mate.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 14
M6, Sony MDR-XB40EX, V-Moda Vibe II, JVC FX66.........

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for all the input guys, I'm probably going for the M9 or the iMetal-590, if the Sleek Audio SA1 does not play my metal well enough.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 14
have you checked the FS threads actually? i think i remember seeing a denon c700 going for like 50-60 or so a couple days ago

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 14
I'm surprised that the Eterna isn't enough isolation. I put those things in with Sony Hybrids, and I can't hear most of the world around me.

How about the Klipsch S4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back