OK im an idiot.
Mar 2, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #46 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndskyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to see the OP's response to some K701's or HD600's or D5000's over a dedicated Rig with good amps and a proper source.

I have the K701. To my ears, it's not an upgrade to the AD700; it's just a different sound.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #48 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Define "proper source".

clean signal with no coloration.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #49 of 83
Quote:

Define "proper source".

Quote:

Originally Posted by what? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
clean signal with no coloration.

A good CD player (or SACD Player) Doesnt have to be a Shanling CD 300 or anything like that. Just a "Good" CD player. I know from personal experience, That My K701's hooked to an amp with an Ipod or Creative Zen, sounds like crap when I connect my CD player to the same Amp. The Source makes a big difference when you get into the K701/ AD700 range. IMO

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #51 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The I+ drives the dt150 well? I must admit I'm surprised. I'd thought they'd need a bit more juice. Not that the I+ isn't a great amp. It's quite wonderful, but I'd think it does a better job at driving low impedance phones. I would like to hear more about this from you
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, it has more than enough power. Bass is tight, deep, and detailed (especially with my Tung Sol tubes). Soundstage is expansive, tones are natural, and everything is crystal-clear at all frequencies. As for volume, I have never once been inclined to turn it above 25 (out of 100.)

Remember, the DT150s are only 250 Ohm, and the I+ is recommended for phones up to 600 Ohm.

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #53 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by WarriorAnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think too many people buy the AD 700's and say "Damn I wasted my money".

On the other hand they are probably gateway cans to more expensive cans and equipment down the road.
evil_smiley.gif

I did later on after i got sick of there leaking, because I had them I didnt expect the leaking would be so bad. That you could hear what i listening to outside my door.

I thought the leaking wouldnt go outside my door but I was wrong. That what made me got rid of them after I had them for a long time.

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #54 of 83
Quote:

Yes, it has more than enough power. Bass is tight, deep, and detailed (especially with my Tung Sol tubes). Soundstage is expansive, tones are natural, and everything is crystal-clear at all frequencies. As for volume, I have never once been inclined to turn it above 25 (out of 100.)

Remember, the DT150s are only 250 Ohm, and the I+ is recommended for phones up to 600 Ohm.

That's good to hear. I'll try it the next time I get my hands on a pair
smily_headphones1.gif

The I+ isn't any good with high impedance phones though. It couldn't drive my dt990 (600 Ohm) and it did only reasonable with my hd600.

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #55 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the K701. To my ears, it's not an upgrade to the AD700; it's just a different sound.

I see that you removed your rig/setup from your signature.
I thought it was a good and fair thing for people to know that you're running k701's unamped from a macbook or with a cheap mixer from the macbook. especially when you're telling people that k701's aren't an upgrade from ad700's.

smile_phones.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #56 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it was a good and fair thing for people to know that you're running k701's unamped from a macbook or with a cheap mixer from the macbook. especially when you're telling people that k701's aren't an upgrade from ad700's.

smile_phones.gif

That explains a whole lot! K701's are not to even be bothered with unless you have a good source and good amp.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #57 of 83
after fixing my setup from pre-amp (fl/fr) to tape out
my cd optical>avr> arietta>ad700 sound awesome now...the arietta really helps pump in some/if not a little bass into the hps. nice thread btw. Ive only owned these ad700 for 3 months and they are better amped. I have an ld+1 but they dont help the phones in the bass dept

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #58 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smile_phones.gif

He likes misleading people.
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #59 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sw33t.Shuga.Ray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after fixing my setup from pre-amp (fl/fr) to tape out
my cd optical>avr> arietta>ad700 sound awesome now...the arietta really helps pump in some/if not a little bass into the hps. nice thread btw. Ive only owned these ad700 for 3 months and they are better amped. I have an ld+1 but they dont help the phones in the bass dept

It might if you do some tuberolling and get tubes that emphasize the low-end (such as sylvania 408a tubes). It can really make a difference. I tried it and all of a sudden my akg k501s with little bass to speak off got a respectable bass extension. I would think that the bass presence (or lack of it
smily_headphones1.gif
) of the open akg models and the open audio technica models (not the ad2000) is similar. So it might just work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back