Ohm Adapters... skip the adapter?
Jun 4, 2005 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

diredesire

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, i've been reading up on Ohm adapters lately and i'm not too entirely sure why they improve the sound, other than the fact you can turn the volume up higher for the same volume? (giving more detail?)

If anyone wnats to clarify this, please feel more than welcome...

My question is that instead of making an adapter, could i just wire 2x 75 ohm (or whatever) to the output of my cmoy and get the same effect?

Another question:
I own Alessandro MS-1's now, and i'm wondering how drastic of a change this will be? (Or if there will be ANY)

I searched the forums using "ohm adapter" as the keyword(s) and there was a bazillion hits, none of which were incredibly specific on the details, so i'm askin' here...

Thanks!

Jun 4, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire
My question is that instead of making an adapter, could i just wire 2x 75 ohm (or whatever) to the output of my cmoy and get the same effect?

Yes, exactly the same.
Quote:

Another question:
I own Alessandro MS-1's now, and i'm wondering how drastic of a change this will be? (Or if there will be ANY)

Can't say that I've ever heard of this, I doubt you'll notice much of an effect. Mostly because I don't think the MS-1's necessarily bennefit from amping that much generally speaking. Again, just my opinion based on what I've read - I don't own MS-1's.

For my Ety ER4Ps and Koss KSC75s the change is audible and I find it to be quite nice. I haven't checked it out with either my 225s or 600s as conventional wisdom says it's not worth it. For the sake of being able to change back and forth I'd try to build an adapter in case you like it for some headphones and not for others. Xin's adapter isn't terribly expensive either.

HTH,

Nate

Jun 4, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 5
i hear a small diference with my grado's when adding some resistance before the 'phones. small.

the diference with etymotic's is huge.

i actually found a small diference with my senn hd-595 (120 ohm) cans too.

my 100 ohm cable deffinately helped to destroy the last bit of psu noise on my tube amp with my grado/senn phones.

Jun 4, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 5
I've been building CMoys as of late for myself and some friends, so i might just try adding it into the circuit then, and see how that goes... I might build an adaptor if i get the parts cheaply, rat shack is pretty rip-offish around where i live, looks like i'll be looking at more specialty electronics stores
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

I've been building CMoys as of late for myself and some friends, so i might just try adding it into the circuit then, and see how that goes... I might build an adaptor if i get the parts cheaply, rat shack is pretty rip-offish around where i live, looks like i'll be looking at more specialty electronics stores
wink.gif

better parts for less moneys? whats the catch? lol...

if they are for friends, and they are mostly using "comes with player" phoens, i would almost definatly say put the resistors in. you will get less complaints/comments about hissing from the amp. i think the resistors even help reduce source hiss too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back