Oh wow, these Audioengine stands really do work.
Oct 23, 2009 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
Took me almost three months to get these, but it was my college's mailing system that was at fault, not Audioengine's.

When I saw the package, and then had it placed it my hands, I realized how small and light the box was. Inside of it, only the stands were in it, organized shoebox-style. As I turned them over in my hands, I realized that they were basically pieces of rubber and plastic, but obviously molded in a certain way. Most notably was that rectangular recess in the middle of it, and when you looked under it, it was hollow, except for that shape from the recess above.

So I was a bit hesitant on first look to say that they were worth the $30 price, but I couldn't listen to my speakers on it right then and there, since I was already taking a work break to grab the package.

Fast-forward four hours later, and I booted up some of Michael Jackson's songs; "Jam" was first up. I was using the Pico DAC as the source, and until now, I have been using stacks of index cards to prop the speakers up.

Immediately, the sound quality difference was noticeable.

The bass was what I first noticed; it actually had tangible shape and form to it as it was being shot out. In the past, the bass was there, but it really smeared into the midrange. And in Muse's "Uprising," I can finally hear the faint yelling on the right speaker when the song starts. In the past, I had to use headphones to hear them without straining.

Everything else (midrange, highs) seem to be a smidgen more separated and defined, and they still work together nicely. All in all though, it was the bass that really got "fixed" the most.

So if you have the A2 (I can't speak for the A5 model), and the speakers still sound bassy, or the overall sound seems a tad bit too smeared for your liking, try the stands. As for me, I'm going to flip through my music collection to see what they sound like through the A2 now.
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 12
nice! when i first got the A2, i found them to be too bassy too. after hooking up the compass to it using the DAC out, the bassy problem disappeared. i'm gotta try these stands as well.

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by xuan87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice! when i first got the A2, i found them to be too bassy too. after hooking up the compass to it using the DAC out, the bassy problem disappeared. i'm gotta try these stands as well.

Yes, going from the headphone out of my iPod Classic to the Pico DAC was the first subtle yet noticeable improvement, and these stands took it up another notch.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 12
Pix?
Stands are hugely important, it's unbelievable how bad my various bookshelf speakers sound when they're improperly set up. It's analogous to not putting headphones all the way on.

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pix?
Stands are hugely important, it's unbelievable how bad my various bookshelf speakers sound when they're improperly set up. It's analogous to not putting headphones all the way on.

Sure, I'll upload pics here in a few days. I'll bump the thread back up when I do so. Just PM me a reminder if I forget by the end of the week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 12
MarchingMule: I like that avatar. I'm new around here, and I clearly need to take a better burro picture. I'll be at the old man's farm on Thanksgiving weekend, so I'll try and take something to compete. It envy that blue cloudy sky you've got. Much better than a rusty Dodge van.

Paul

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #12 of 12
The Audioengine stands dont bring the speakers up as much as I like. Try to bring them up more, so the tweeters are on the same plane as your ears. I used kleenex boxes, but you can use books or CD spindles
smily_headphones1.gif

The more you bring them up, the better sound I got
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back