Oh - this is why people like tube amps :)
Nov 1, 2008 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

jrosenth

Headphoneus Supremus
So I just got a Woo Audio1 (see this review) and am absolutely loving it.

I was always a little nervous about tube amps, seemed like more to do to keep them running. This one didn't have any of the little dials that seem to change adjust it. (I'm not quite sure what they do for most tube amps or if this one would have them somewhere - if anyone could I'd appreciate it.)

In any case, I'm in love, it's absolutely musical, warm and enjoyable but dosen't loose any of the detail that I've found with solid state amps.

Really really impressive is all I can say. It makes digital sources sound much more analog, like my old record player. Honestly now I think I finally understand why someone would use a tube buffer.

What can I say? I'm hooked
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just got a Woo Audio1 (see this review) and am absolutely loving it.

I was always a little nervous about tube amps, seemed like more to do to keep them running. This one didn't have any of the little dials that seem to change adjust it. (I'm not quite sure what they do for most tube amps or if this one would have them somewhere - if anyone could I'd appreciate it.)

In any case, I'm in love, it's absolutely musical, warm and enjoyable but dosen't loose any of the detail that I've found with solid state amps.

Really really impressive is all I can say. It makes digital sources sound much more analog, like my old record player. Honestly now I think I finally understand why someone would use a tube buffer.

What can I say? I'm hooked
smily_headphones1.gif

The dials you are referring to are probably the bias pots present on some tube amps (usually larger tube amps with high output power tubes that need individually biased) to correctly bias the tube. The Woos, Singlepowers etc .... are self biasing and dont use or need manual biasing.

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dials you are referring to are probably the bias pots present on some tube amps (usually larger tube amps with high output power tubes that need individually biased) to correctly bias the tube. The Woos, Singlepowers etc .... are self biasing and dont use or need manual biasing.

thanks sacd lover

man i just wish i had done this some much sooner!

let me just say, to anyone considering a tube - just give it a shot!

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 43
Congrats. I too felt the same way...I figured they would be a pain in the butt to dial in, maintain, etc. and on top of it, it seemed like the supply of tubes would just dry up one day, but honestly...if you're a fan of a high impedance can (like I am with the HD650) you really need a tube amp. A solid state amp may sound fine to your ears (and there are plenty of good ones, I'm not knocking them), but once you hear what your phones can do tubed...it all changes. I'm glad you took the plungs...now, start trying different tubes out. I think tube collecting is a really fun part of the whole thing - and something I didn't want to even get into, because I knew I'd go all OCD about it, lol. Which I did...I frequently dream about them, think about tubes all the time, have tube fantasies, lol...it's awful.

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 43
No.

lol....

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now go buy more tubes!

biggrin.gif

There is always a catch!

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #12 of 43
I don't know...I guess not everyone that gets a tube amp actually obsesses about tubes, but I'm a huge history buff, and NOS tubes in particular are so appealing. I can't help but think about when they were made, where they've been, what they've been through. I'll look at a tube's date code, like say, a tube from June 1960, and think, "wow, when this was made, the Beatles hadn't happened yet, MGAs were still new (one of my fave cars), the Mid-Century Modern movement was in full swing, the Korean war just ended, this is a JAN tube...it was probably meant for an Army radio, maybe a B-52 bomber, maybe a Trident class sub...". I just get all nostalgic, but I'm like that with more than just tubes...

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #13 of 43
Is there an online site to refer to...like the history, identification, family of tubes...which tubes that can be substituted? besides reading up on threads on Hfi
beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there an online site to refer to...like the history, identification, family of tubes...which tubes that can be substituted? besides reading up on threads on Hfi
beerchug.gif

Good site for pics, and identification: tubemongerlib.com
Good German site (this is the English translated page) for identification, history, misc stuff: tube museum
The "National Valve Museum", great British site full of useful info and pics and history: Virtually The National Valve Museum
Good price list for going rates (but bad prices, lol) and for alternative tubes you can use in your systems...not too pic heavy, but good for "what's this worth?" info: https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm
Another "long price list" site: Vacuum Tubes, Electron Tubes, Tubes, Tube Testers and Electronic Parts
And another: Vacuum Tubes prices. Best prices every day!
And another good source for rarer NOS tubes and lots of random info (check his llinks too...: BRENT JESSEE RECORDING HOMEPAGE

There's tons more...check the sticky above for more, but I check these a lot.

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #15 of 43
Thanks Monkey you are Golden! Yeah the sticky is kind of heavy and needed to narrow things down...your post helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back