Oh the delimma (Sansa Fuze vs D2 + more)
Nov 13, 2008 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
See, currently, I got a Cowon D2. It's all good but having read up that the iAudio 7's audio quality is better and even that the Sansa Clip's sound quality is better (correct me if I'm wrong), I'm considering switching to one of these DAPs since I really don't watch videos on my D2 no more.

I considered the the Clip but it doesn't have any expandable slots as I need far more than 2 GB.
I looked at the Fuze but I dunno the sound quality of it vs. the D2 but it looks like a good option with an added MicroSD card.
My needs are basically this:

* Sound quality of the DAP
(this is of utmost importance. Whether it be the actual DAP or the combination of DAP + codec, doesn't matter)
* 16GB or more (whether by internal storage or via SD cards + internal storage)
* Preferably plays AAC and/or Ogg Vorbis (mp3 is a given)

Also read up the Sony DAPs are great but don't come in 16GB which I want.

Also, any comments about any suggested DAP synergy wise with the Denon c700's would be nice too
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 15
The Fuze sounds exactly like the Clip. Here's a quick comparison for you:

Fuze:

-more neutral sounding
-giant soundstage
-excellent detail
-EQ sucks, keep it off

D2:

-cold, analytical sound
-excellent detail
-very good EQ
-I don't know anything about the soundstage
-apparently vocals sound a bit "digital". I haven't heard the player myself, however, so I can't confirm this.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 15
Yes I admit, the EQ is very good on the D2, really brings it out, so does the 3DS feature on it (widens the soundstage quite well at a setting of 2). Love the Mach3Bass feature.
Also the D2 is silly in terms of tweakablity (right down to the actual GUI!)

But yeah I trade all that for sound quality.

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 15
Why is it a pain? One cable = horrible extra load?

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is it a pain? One cable = horrible extra load?

No, it's just if you lose the cable....

e.g. If I say lost my D2 cable, that's no problem as it's just a standard mini-B cable and thus I can use anyone from any other device and it'll work.

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 15
Get a spare cable.
tongue.gif

Oh, by the way, the screen on the Fuze is apparently pretty weak for videos.

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a spare cable.
tongue.gif

Oh, by the way, the screen on the Fuze is apparently pretty weak for videos.

Not an issue as I don't watch videos on my DAP too much at all now. Just purely music.

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 15
the answer is simple:

fuze

it sounds great out of the box and there is no need to fiddle with eqs or fxs. It is great for casual listening.

the d2 provides in my opinion more midrange detail, but it misses in other areas such as soundstage and low frequency response.

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the answer is simple:

fuze

it sounds great out of the box and there is no need to fiddle with eqs or fxs. It is great for casual listening.

the d2 provides in my opinion more midrange detail, but it misses in other areas such as soundstage and low frequency response.

that clears things up a lot, thanks, i appreciate it

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the answer is simple:

fuze

mmmm..the thing is that the EQ and features on the D2 can fix/patchwork these two issues (soundstage = 3DS set to '2' and the low frequency response done via EQing it lower resulting in increased dynamic range + Mach3Bass if needed for the bass) so I dunno about the Fuze eh....

I need more opinions.
Don't want to get caught in the FOTM flavour of this DAP atm either.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #15 of 15
yeah, but EQs and FXs are lousy ways to get "good sound". You really can't. Instead, you end up distorting the audio even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back