OH NO!...the Cardas smurf cable is INCREDIBLE!!
Jul 28, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 39
Well, I've debated this for quite some time now. I sold my Clou Reds a number of months ago in anticipation of buying either the Cardas, or Equinox. Out of the multitude of posts regarding these two cables, one factor seems to be clear. While both cables present a sonic improvement over the Clou's and are about equally revered, the Equinox seems to be the cable that is best constructed.

Hey, I'm putting in my order for the Equinox now!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
the equinox and cardas > the clou, IN MY opinion. The thing is, the equinox is $50 more. . . is it worth it? That's the question.

Considering the wait for the Cardas, perhaps. That $50 also buys better connectors and potentially custom lengths too (for a price).

I agree that the Cardas and the Equinox were *very* close to each other. I prefered the Cardas by a hair but doubt I could ever tell the difference on my rig.

Jul 28, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #20 of 39
I thought the Cardas and the Equinox were very close in sound to each other. Hard to hear much difference. After switching back and forth several times I decided the Cardas was a little bit nicer in the midrange. I think that it was a very subjective opnion I formed, though. The Cardas looked to be built just fine to me.

Jul 29, 2002 at 12:48 PM Post #23 of 39
Another nice thing about the HD600/Cardas is that you can get a bead on what your other components/cables are really doing/not doing. It was much easier to hear the differences in Kimber PBJ and Monster Interlink 400 interconnects, and it also showed up the flaws in the bass/lower midrange on the X-Cans amp.

Jul 29, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #24 of 39
I like the cardas cable so much that at night I detach it from my headphones and cuddle with it in bed.

I didn't realize that people thought the cardas cable didn't have a solid construction? Or maybe I am reading RickG's comment incorrectly? Either way, I don't see how the cardas cable's construction is an issue at all. It seems VERY solidly constructed to me, and I would actually think that the equinox would have more room to have problems with the heatshrink at the connectors and all that techflex...

Driftwood

Jul 29, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #25 of 39
Driftwood,

Sorry for the confusion. I was refering to the fact that some people have commented about the loose fit with the connectors on the Cardas. I didn't mean to imply that overall construction was sub-par.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
It's only a matter of time, soon HD600's will take us all with their beguiling ways.

nah, the HD600's sound like crap. it's the cable that sounds so damn good.
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 12:09 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Driftwood,

Sorry for the confusion. I was refering to the fact that some people have commented about the loose fit with the connectors on the Cardas. I didn't mean to imply that overall construction was sub-par.

smily_headphones1.gif

It appears that the looseness in the plugs could be a source of potential trouble. Eventually it may be difficult to keep the connections in place. Those plugs really sway back and forth. I am thinking of stuffing some blu-tack or something similar into the sides of the plugs to keep them in place.

If this cable was intended for the HD600, why did he not use the stock plugs?

Jul 30, 2002 at 1:26 PM Post #28 of 39
Hello. Instead of blu-tack, use toothpicks. Wedge one in between the connector and the plastic enclosure. Then cut off most of the remainder that juts out. It's pretty easy to take out if you leave just a little bit exposed and won't damage the plastic enclosure or connector. After I did this the connectors have yet to pop out again.

Happy listening.

Edwin

Jul 30, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by edwinaviles
Instead of blu-tack, use toothpicks. Wedge one in between the connector and the plastic enclosure. Then cut off most of the remainder that juts out

Thank you! I'll try that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back