Oh no...I have to buy an MD recorder!
Sep 7, 2001 at 8:32 PM Post #31 of 40
damn good point MacDEF! let's quit this discussion, it's been argued into the ground already.
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2001 at 8:48 PM Post #32 of 40
Yea, Neruda. Let's quit this discussion...

Oh - almost forgot.

The only way this discussion will end is if you get up and purchase an MD right this moment.

Otherwise, ppl will be too drawn towards "helping" (confuse?) you...

Sep 8, 2001 at 5:40 PM Post #33 of 40
All my MD equipment is Sony (and I've got a lot!) but if you're going to record live, you've got to go with Sharp if for no other reason than the ability to change your recording levels on the fly.

Sep 9, 2001 at 2:22 AM Post #34 of 40
QUOTE:
JJDyn0mite, the Archos simply can't compete for high-quality live recording.

...neither can MD. Its sort of regarded as a skectch pad device. Its not high-quality in the arena of live recording equipment.

The Archos does not record live, but the only bad reviews I've seen of it are from the headphone amplifier section. Otherwise, I think they've had problems with DOA's. Most reviews I looked at are here and on Amazon, etc.

MacDef, have you seen any reviews from folks who've amped the Archos output?

I know this is more of the windy same old, same old, but MD is as bad as CD for conveinience, IMO. You have to carry the media around and plan what your taste is going to be ahead of time. I carry 24 CD's and find it not enough, never mind the change on the fly issues. Right now, even with MD LP2 I don't think I'd be happy looking for a way to carry around 30 hours worth of music, much less over 100 (which I've got). And then to think of all the sitting around recording in real time, the labels, trying to squeze things neatly into 74/148 media increments. Yuck.

I can't plan what I want for dinner in the morning in the same way I can't plan what music I'll want to hear in the afternoon
mad.gif
. That's me and was why I was in Comp USA today looking for an Archos to try out with the CMOY. They and the local sister store had 4 on order, so no dice.

Any other Archos owner experiences out there?

CWW

Sep 9, 2001 at 6:59 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

...neither can MD. Its sort of regarded as a skectch pad device. Its not high-quality in the arena of live recording equipment.

Sorry, but that's just plain wrong. It's not as good as a nice DAT machine for portable recording (nothing is), but it's definitely very good quality, and in fact many bands use MD now for demos and many people use MD for high-quality recording of live events. The truth is that unless you have a real high-end recording setup specifically designed for production-level recording, MD is going to sound as good as anything else.

Quote:

The Archos does not record live, but the only bad reviews I've seen of it are from the headphone amplifier section. Otherwise, I think they've had problems with DOA's. Most reviews I looked at are here and on Amazon, etc.

MacDef, have you seen any reviews from folks who've amped the Archos output?

No, but I've heard plenty of people who have complained about it having horrible output.

Quote:

I know this is more of the windy same old, same old, but MD is as bad as CD for conveinience, IMO. You have to carry the media around and plan what your taste is going to be ahead of time. I carry 24 CD's and find it not enough, never mind the change on the fly issues. Right now, even with MD LP2 I don't think I'd be happy looking for a way to carry around 30 hours worth of music, much less over 100 (which I've got). And then to think of all the sitting around recording in real time, the labels, trying to squeze things neatly into 74/148 media increments. Yuck.

So MD and CD aren't for you, obviously. To you, it appears that storage capacity is the primary feature. But we're talking about good portable recorders here
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2001 at 5:10 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

It's not as good as a nice DAT machine for portable recording (nothing is), but it's definitely very good quality.

Thank you for moderating your statement that MD means high quality live recordings. I don't even think MD players are compatible with most of the microphones that are out there. So no, what I said is not plain wrong. MD beats the pants off a portable cassette player and other low-dollar solutions. It doesn't, however, belong among todays high-quality live equipment recording devices.

That you've heard from "plenty" of people that the Archos has bad output isn't specific enough for me. Right now, I bet all those folks are the same who complain about unamplified CDP's, like the Panasonic units.

Quote:

But we're talking about good portable recorders here

Well, we were, but things evolved into a different direction. You can't expect to dis non-MD products for their decoders, etc, in a thread that starts on recorders and then attempt to close the discussion without rebuttal. That's sort of like "I get last word'ish" type behavior
wink.gif

CWW

Sep 9, 2001 at 8:29 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Thank you for moderating your statement that MD means high quality live recordings. I don't even think MD players are compatible with most of the microphones that are out there. So no, what I said is not plain wrong. MD beats the pants off a portable cassette player and other low-dollar solutions. It doesn't, however, belong among todays high-quality live equipment recording devices.

MD players are not compatible with most mics? Since when?

Again, the purpose of this thread is inexpensive, portable recording. MD is hands-down the best solution for that. Nothing else can compare at the same price point. MD *is* "high quality live recording." Not "professional," but "high quality" nonetheless.

Quote:

Well, we were, but things evolved into a different direction. You can't expect to dis non-MD products for their decoders, etc, in a thread that starts on recorders and then attempt to close the discussion without rebuttal. That's sort of like "I get last word'ish" type behavior .

I have NO clue what you're talking about here LOL. Someone else brought up MP3 recorders as an alternative to MD for portable recording, to which I simply replied that MD was still much better for that purpose.

Sep 23, 2001 at 8:03 AM Post #38 of 40
Alright guys. I have a portable MD recording setup... and I'm able to make some great recordings with it. Definately high-quality personal recordings, and definately not professional.

Neruda... I suggest going over to www.soundprofessionals.com for your mics and stuff.

I have an older Sharp MD-MS722 that I do my recordings with. It works great for me... and I'm really not seeing any reason to upgrade it any time soon.

I also have the premium Audio Technica mics and a slimline battery module with different settings for bass roll off. I normally don't use any bass roll off but there's definately places where it could help.

EDIT: the mics and battery module come from The Sound Professionals at the website above.

Sep 26, 2001 at 1:12 AM Post #39 of 40
What about recoding pens? Don't they offer quality recording? I'm not sure since I've never had one, but I had an Aiwa MD player.....that was 2 years ago and I could hardly hear my recorded lectures with it.

Sep 26, 2001 at 7:37 PM Post #40 of 40
you can pretty much use an electret condenser mic with the mic input on an md recorder. however just about all md recorders have digital inputs. i can imagine you can use an outboard ADC and mic preamp to get professional quality results with an MD. not to mention there are pro MD recorders on the market. but for the price MD is the way to go.

as far as mic's go, i'd recommend DIY binaural mics. a lot of commercial portable binaural mics use the same $3 mic capsules that DIYer's use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back