Oh my, I can hear the Sennheiser veil...
Feb 9, 2008 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
I had always been a little bit skeptical of the Sennheiser "veil" because I couldn't hear it. Lately however, I've been spending most of my time with my Grado RS-1s and now all I can hear is the veil! I'm using a dynalo amplifier, which should be more than up to the task to power the Sennheisers - I just hope the veil goes away. Maybe the Beta22 will send it packing.

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 25
I notice with my senns if I listen to metal I have a very hard time hearing the ride cymbal. Is that the veil you are talking about?

I know its not my amp or ears because when I switch to the KSC-75's I can hear the ride plain as day.

Feb 9, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 25
How can you hear what doesn't exist?
wink.gif

Seriously though, the 'veil' comes across to me as naturalness more than anything else. If it's there, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Feb 9, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 25
I still have yet to hear this veil, probably because I've never actually owned a pair.

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 25
I suppose I should clarify that I'm using HD650s. They sounded so bad to me it made me wonder if I hadn't plugged in the headhones in all the way or if there was a problem with the headphone jack in the amp- but switching to the K701s or the RS-1s clarified to me that it wasn't a problem with the ac.
Eep!

To me it sounded lik all the high frequency energy had totally disappeared - everything was rather flat. Weird.

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 25
The amp. What amp?

I have to admit that with the 580s, I wonder if my old Pioneer power amplifier A449 has the power to drive them, whereas the XCANv3 lacks the power.

Why would I think so? With the headphone out of the macbook pro (seriosly not up to the task), the veil is clear. With the XCAN the veil is much less there, at lower volumes. With the power amplifier it seems gone.

But tonight this could also be an effect of Krusovice rather than the sound of Lightning Bolt / Hypermagic Mountain. But why would the power amplifier sound better than the xcan? Is my xcan destroyed in some way, or just a bad thing?

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 25
I'm using a dynalo with a dedicated power supply. I've never heard it before I started using my RS-1s as my primary headphones. It makes me seriously wonder if something has damaged the HD650s because my RS-1s sound better out of my iPod than my HD650s do out of the dynalo and a custom-made (dsavitsk designed) USB DAC.

If I play with the equillizer though, I can get the veil to disappear.

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 25
Defoaming? What's that?

The difference between the xcan and the power amplifier could also be volume. For some reason that puzzles me, if I hold the cans at a distance, the volume seems much higher from the power amplifier than from the xcan, at what seems to be the same volume when the cans are on. I noticed the same thing when a friend of mine also thought that the power amplifier had a better sound to it.

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #13 of 25
The veil goes away if you go balanced. I have heard the HD650 without veil and this was the answer. I don't like the HD650s until they get into a balanced system then they can sound almost as good as my UE9 and Yamamoto HA-02.
biggrin.gif
Of course opinions do vary.

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The veil goes away if you go balanced. I have heard the HD650 without veil and this was the answer. I don't like the HD650s until they get into a balanced system then they can sound almost as good as my UE9 and Yamamoto HA-02.
biggrin.gif
Of course opinions do vary.

What amp do you use to drive them in balanced mode? I'm thinking of that as being my next upgrade.

Feb 9, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What amp do you use to drive them in balanced mode? I'm thinking of that as being my next upgrade.

I don't have one. I went to SK138's home last fall and heard his balanced HD580 and HD650 using his Asur 840c feeding several balanced amp setups. He now uses the GS-X from Headamp which is a killer amp for the price for a balanced system. Using this amp probably is better than the ones I heard last fall. I will hear this setup in a month or so when I go again. We plan on setting up my pair of Yamamoto's as balanced to see how then sound. Of course you could get a balance b22 which would be great as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back