Oh my god, I don't know what to do!
Dec 15, 2007 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently bought a pair of R10s. I was really enjoying them with my RSA HR2. Today I started noticing a strange distortion that was happening to my music. It was not the distortion of a blown driver, but an interconnection problem between the amp and the headphones. I then plugged my R10s into my Corda Opera and the distortion was no longer present. This really frustrated me as I prefer the HR2's synergy with the R10s.

I called Ray and asked him what I should do. He told me to try and locate the problem. Was it the amp? The source? The RCA cable? The Headphones? The outlet the power supply was plugged into?

First thing I did was try out my K701 with the HR2. There was no distortion at all. Next my DT880.....no distortion.

Then I tried the R10. DISTORTION DISTORTION DISTORTION.

I once again plugged my R10s back into my Corda Opera, NO DISTORTION.

I then proceded to clean the tip of my R10 with rubbing alcohol and cotton.

Still with the HR2 DISTORTION.

I unplugged the HR-2 Power Supply, brought it to another outlet, changed my source, change my interconnects, plugged my R10 back in and DISTORTION DISTORTION DISTORTION.

Went back to my Opera.....no distortion.

I called Ray, and he cannot imagine what the problem is. It does not distort with any of my other headphones.......and my R10s do not distort with my other amp.

Please tell me there is a solution.

Thanks Dave

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 questions. does your HR2 have a gain switch and is the cable on the R10 the original.

Good questions to a difficult scenario to interpret. I'm wondering if you're getting a proper connection. Something that may be happening (or I guess not happening) between the R10 male plug and the HR2 female input.

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good questions to a difficult scenario to interpret. I'm wondering if you're getting a proper connection. Something that may be happening (or I guess not happening) between the R10 male plug and the HR2 female input.

Ah, interesting possibility, and exactly the kind of thing that's so obvious that it tends to get overlooked. two adapters ought to be enough to test this.

If this isn't it, though, I guess another test would be to try adding some impedance between the amp and headphones, to see if that does the trick.

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 15
Nothing that I've tried is working. I put a Quarter inch to Quarter inch adapter on my R10s and the sound is still there so its not the connector. I opened up my HR2 changed the OP amps...., cleaned the circuits. Its just not correcting the problem. I don't get it
frown.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 15
If you can find someone else with a HR2 try your R10s on that.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the R10s work fine with the HR2 because I've used it for a week.......but now something is different

it just keeps getting weirder.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 15
I'm in Manhattan. Give me the R10s. Your problems will be solved.
biggrin.gif

Do you have any other lower impedence headphone you can try on the HR2?

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 15
I now find that the distortion only happens once I toggle the gain switch. However, once the gain switch is flipped, if I move it back to high gain, the distortion is still there until I unplug the amp. Then if I plug the amp back in the distortion only happens if I touch the gain switch. BUT ALL THIS ONLY HAPPENS WITH THE R10s AND NO OTHER HEADPHONE. I don't get this at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back