Oh MDR-V6... How I love thee so
Aug 11, 2002 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Just a simple question really... how many people here, even though having better headphones in their 'collections' keep going back to an 'inferior' model?

You all know my headphones, and the setup that I run, and after ditching the HD580s (again)... I've ditched the CD1700s (again) in favour of the MDR-V6... Vanessa Carltons CD 'Be Not Nobody' sounds amazingly punchy, clear, and most importantly airy through my 'main rig' with the V6 strapped to my head... Why is this?

People acknowledge that the V6 are a great 'starter' pair of headphones, so why is it that I keep going back to them? - does anyone else do the same?

Thanks

Aug 11, 2002 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 16
I got the V6 for my birthday and they're great. They're my only decent set of headphones, but I'm more than happy for now. I'm listening to Tool - Lateralis with them right now and it sounds better with the V6 than anything else I've heard.

Aug 11, 2002 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Duncan: You've ditched the 580s again?? WHY?

I'm desperate to like them, I really am... but, whilst they are great for some kinds of music, they just don't have the energy, or drive that either pair of my Sonys have
frown.gif

The V6 have the biggest 'excitement' value of the two Sonys, with the CD1700s sitting somewhere in the middle between the V6 and HD580s...

Maybe my hearing is screwed
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2002 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 16
duncan,

i know what you mean. i too have the v6, cd1700, etc. it depends on which music i want to listen too, and other factors like comfort and variety.

i tend to hold on to all my headphones as i know they will fall in and out of favor. i'll make up my mind that i'm sick of one model, then weeks later pick it up again and rediscover it's strengths.

but the v6 is a special case. sonic shortcomings aside, i can almost always count on the v6 for an exciting, dynamic listening experience.

Aug 11, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 16
I have the beyer 770's, 7506's, Hd580's and akg k501's....

i still listen to the 7506's everyday, they still sound great with my MD player but i always reach for the beyer's now when i can use my stereo rig. The senns have been getting less and less time and the akg's have gone fishing.

Aug 11, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 16
Not that I have anything really surpass the V6 or anything (except for the ms1), but I still like my V6 a lot. I listen to it with the right type of music and they really do well for most of the time when the used correctly.

Aug 12, 2002 at 5:33 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Khazim
I got the V6 for my birthday and they're great. They're my only decent set of headphones, but I'm more than happy for now. I'm listening to Tool - Lateralis with them right now and it sounds better with the V6 than anything else I've heard.

I also listen to Lateralus frequently with these headphones. It is from this experience that I suspect that the Beyer DT 770's might well be the best headphone for me. Even out of my DVD player instead of my portable and with my JMT Cmoy, I still do not feel the dynamic synergy that I know I could be getting from a better headphone. That being said, the V6 is certainly not a bad headphone, and I enjoy it immensely, but I am always left wondering if their is something that will beat it handily...

Gloco, could you give me your opinion of your 7506's vs. your 770's, noting what sources, amps and recordings you are using? From reading your posts, I imagine you and I have similar listening tastes, and your opinions will help me in my deliberations.

Aug 12, 2002 at 6:55 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
have any of you heard the 280 pro??? ..... I love the V6 too, but the 280 more, although i just wish that the 280 was a bit smaller.

The cups aren't that big - it;s just the headband. And the headband has to be like that, cuz it won't sound like the 280 without that band.

I was taking the 280 partially apart just to see how much work there might be to convert them to an HMD280 - (Shop wants £120...I must assume that it's a SUPERB mic?!) and how much work I'd have to do on them to make them permanently comfortable - while I was doing so I started to realize why the 280's look as they do.

The top band supplies the leverage for the clamping force that gives the 280 it's isolation capability and the ability for the listener to discern sounds more clearly. If you had a more U-shaped band like the V-series for example, it wouldn't isolate as much, you'd miss more, and you would lose what little bass there is.

Aug 12, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #12 of 16
BTW, Duncan, you put your SBLive's thru a DAC? What's the difference like for casual listening?

Aug 12, 2002 at 7:04 AM Post #13 of 16
I, too, find myself returning to the V6. This is often the case because they are just so easy to use. There are times when I don't feel like opening either of the boxes my 580s or 3000s are stored in and carefully extracting them. The V6? No problem. They're sitting in that great leather-esqe bag just waiting to be unfolded and driven by anything I plug them into.

And as much as I love my 3000s, there are times when I just don't feel like strapping the equivalent of two motorcycle helmets to my ears. Relative to those 'phones, the V6s seem tiny.

Aug 12, 2002 at 7:52 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
BTW, Duncan, you put your SBLive's thru a DAC? What's the difference like for casual listening?

Hi Magicthyse,

to me, adding the DAC into the equation just matures the sound... with the sound from the SBLive line out sounding very much like a partially out of tune FM radio, whereas, adding the DAC pushes the sound quality to be approximately the same as my personal CD players... so, not as good as my main CD player, but.... not that far off, just a loss of air more than anything
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #15 of 16
Is there any store that i can go to....and find the v6?

specifically in San francisco.

ive been reading alot about it....even though not very excited about Sony. (over at metreon, u can test and hold most of the v600, v700, v900 Sony how many times u want, too bad i just dont like it..overpriced.....and the sound, hmmmm, not sure).

but for the v6,.....im very interested in hearing how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back