Oh I need your advice
Dec 3, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #32 of 41
Hi,

I managed to get to listen to the Grado GS-1000 and RS1 a day early.

Having had a pair of RS-1 in the past and finding them not quite to my liking I really didn't know what to expect from these headphones. Like many pieces of hi-fi kit they seem to polarise opinions and there is a lot of conflicting information about them.

I was advised by the guy in the store that straight out of the box the GS-1000 and there other top models need a long, long burn in before reaching their potential. The ones I tried where his and therefore were burnt in, so should perform at its best and consistently.

GS-1000 seemed to portray a greater sense of space and sepeartion between instruments than the RS-1. These headphones sound very much more like my previous Merlin speakers and both headphones are transparent and when listening to live music you really do feel you are the gig.

Both Grado's have great attack and decay, but the decay seemed a bit over emphasised - even exaggerated. The treble very well extended but perhaps a little harsh.

Now considering the GS-1000 were well burnt in and the RS-1 not, the mid range on the GS-1000 although transparent becomes a bit raw and squawking. I felt the mid range on the RS-1 was more to my liking.

The bass on both models was reasonably good, they're certainly not perfect to me. The bass is quite weighty and flat, but lacks grunt. Sorry grunt is the best way I can explain what I'm looking for here.

My demo of the GS-1000 lasted about 45 minutes and these babies are light and comfortable as are the RS-1.

Both pairs of headphones are amazingly transparent and detailed. I think the GS-1000 gives you more refinement and texture, without loosing detail and resolution.

I have to admit I found the GS-1000 a better headphone for acoustic rock and the RS-1 better for the bulk of my listening rock & blues. The RS-1 is a great performer given how close it is in performance to the GS-1000 and how much cheaper it is.

So will I buying a pair of Grados - not yet. Why? Well I want to see if there are better headphones that will come closer to my JBL monitors, will portray a Gibson Les Paul acurately, will deal with tone and timbre and low level detail in the bass.

The search goes on.

Monty

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MontyW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I managed to get to listen to the Grado GS-1000 and RS1 a day early.

Having had a pair of RS-1 in the past and finding them not quite to my liking I really didn't know what to expect from these headphones. Like many pieces of hi-fi kit they seem to polarise opinions and there is a lot of conflicting information about them.

I was advised by the guy in the store that straight out of the box the GS-1000 and there other top models need a long, long burn in before reaching their potential. The ones I tried where his and therefore were burnt in, so should perform at its best and consistently.

GS-1000 seemed to portray a greater sense of space and sepeartion between instruments than the RS-1. These headphones sound very much more like my previous Merlin speakers and both headphones are transparent and when listening to live music you really do feel you are the gig.

Both Grado's have great attack and decay, but the decay seemed a bit over emphasised - even exaggerated. The treble very well extended but perhaps a little harsh.

Now considering the GS-1000 were well burnt in and the RS-1 not, the mid range on the GS-1000 although transparent becomes a bit raw and squawking. I felt the mid range on the RS-1 was more to my liking.

The bass on both models was reasonably good, they're certainly not perfect to me. The bass is quite weighty and flat, but lacks grunt. Sorry grunt is the best way I can explain what I'm looking for here.

My demo of the GS-1000 lasted about 45 minutes and these babies are light and comfortable as are the RS-1.

Both pairs of headphones are amazingly transparent and detailed. I think the GS-1000 gives you more refinement and texture, without loosing detail and resolution.

I have to admit I found the GS-1000 a better headphone for acoustic rock and the RS-1 better for the bulk of my listening rock & blues. The RS-1 is a great performer given how close it is in performance to the GS-1000 and how much cheaper it is.

So will I buying a pair of Grados - not yet. Why? Well I want to see if there are better headphones that will come closer to my JBL monitors, will portray a Gibson Les Paul acurately, will deal with tone and timbre and low level detail in the bass.

The search goes on.

Monty

Nice impressions Monty. Did you try the difference in the RS-1 sound by using flats and the stock bowls? I ask this because if you finally didn't try the flats on the RS-1, then you don't know completely if they might have the "grunt" in the bass you were missing.
In any case, time to try something else. Ultrasone are good candidates to be it, maybe Denon D5000 too. Do your homework hehehe
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #34 of 41
Hi there,

No the RS-1 were straight from stock without the flats.

Can you describe what the flats do to the sound of the RS-1 because if they give the RS-1 a bit more bottom end grunt, then my search could be made a lot easier.

I sure will do my home work - not going to invest without listening if I can help it.

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #35 of 41
The flats have two great effects IMHO on the RS-1, the first is providing the bottom end more energy and slam, more presence and kind of more "beat-drive" if that makes any sense to you. However I don't think it gets more extension to the low end. They make the RS-1 to sound more with the kind of bass you experience on a live rock concert.
The second effect is making the treble less harsh and pronounced, so the sound becomes a bit more relaxed in the top, more natural, while the midrange still keeps that Grado sound which is quite good suiting the tone of electric guitars.

However, as everything else in life, it has a trade off which is the soundstage becoming narrower, and the presentation being a bit more in front and closer to you. Overall the sound becomes a bit more direct, kind of intimate, but not more aggressive due to the bit of treble that gets tamed.

I for one have to say that I don't like the RS-1 with bowls, but I find them with flats quite listenable for rock and most pop, even some jazz. However to me their timbre isn't completely suitable for acoustic instruments if you have an idea of how those instruments really sound like. But that's only my taste and my own perception at work
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #36 of 41
Well if flats can do as you suggest then I'm almost certain the RS-1 will be a good match for what I'm trying to achieve.

I bought the my JBL monitors and subs so that I could get a sound closer to that of a live rock concert.

I'm more than happy to trade some soundstage - so back I go to see what flats can do for me.

Monty

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #38 of 41
I have no idea, I never tried recabled Grados. In my experience with other cans, there could be some changes, but mostly subtle regarding stage size and width, detail resolution, and control-presence in the frequency extremes, but nothing leading you to believe you are using different cans.

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #40 of 41
Hi,

Well I managed to demo a pair of Ultrasones today and I'm glad I did. I now own a pair of Pro 900 and I'm very happy with what I've got.

The Pro 900 works really well with the Lavry DA10 DAC and these headphones give the 'grunt' and energy that I have been looking for. I guess the Pro 900 is more 'up-front' than the RS-1 andas yo say klobnitrones forward in the mids.

Only one down side to my purchase, is I tried a pair of Edition 9 and damn they are good - just didn't have enough cash to spare!

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Monty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back