Oh I need your advice
Nov 30, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #16 of 41
Hi,

No I didn't try the Grado's with flat pads. Cool_Torp, I'm sure you must know the sound signature I'm looking for if you had a pair of 4312A monitors.

Hey, there is no way I can afford a pair of PS-1 cans, but the GS-1000 is a possibility. AND I can get to listen to a pair of these on other Grado's if I get off my butt and travel a little.

I cannot demo the Denon D5000. You have got it spot on, I know what I'm looking for and I hate buying blindly. I must try and demo!

Thanks,

Monty

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #17 of 41
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck. Start with the Grados, the RS-1 with flats have a lot of things in common with the 4312. I'm sure yours reach deeper in the bass and probably have a better midrange, but some other properties could be there. Probably in that same place you would be able to try the GS-1000. Not sure they have the same virtues, but trying at a store usually is free hehehe.

Were none of those of your liking, maybe the Headroom's return policy could help you to try the D5000/D2000. I don't think they are more JBL-like than the Grados, but have deeper bass, more open sound with wider stage. My main doubt is their tonal balance, which I find quite different to JBLs, but dynamically they wouldn't fall short if properly amped. This is the question, if you'd be willing to try some amps with them.

Also trying some Audio Technica wouldn't harm. I've recently got the ESW10 which some report as similar sounding to the ESW9 (probably easier to demo) and with common features to the AD-2000. I've put very few hours on the ESW10, so I'm not sure yet how they'll end up sounding. They have slam, deep bass, resolution and decent stage width, but perhaps not as dynamically appealing as you might wish. Were they available for demo, give them a try. These wouldn't need an amp.

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
<snip for brevity only>These wouldn't need an amp.

i might add that in my limited experience that amping a hp with low impedence and or high sensitivity is not a bad thing. i believe my ath a700 only improves when amped. the amp is a portable micro dot with a rolled in op amp. still obviously an audio technica can when driven only by my pmp. feels/sounds cleaner having more horse power.

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

...but dynamically they wouldn't fall short if properly amped. This is the question, if you'd be willing to try some amps with them.

A

Okay guys,

Now you are in the realms of 'I don't have a clue'! So given I was going to use whatever headphones I chose, direct from the Lavry DAC - are you now suggesting I would get better results with a headphone amp? If this is correct, before I ask which type of amp - how do I hook it up to my DA10?

Cheers,

Monty

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #20 of 41
Not really, it would depend on the headphones you finally bought. I don't think Grados, some AT and probably Ultrasones "need" an amp. They might sound better in some areas by using one, but not really necessary to get good sound and enjoying your music.

The Denons are other story, and to sound "decent" they could need an amp in your case. Never tried my D5000 out from a Lavry, so I can't say, but out from the computer or an iPod, they don't sound even close to what they can.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MontyW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its hard for me to describe what sound I'm looking for, but I'd like great dynamics, transparency, punch, tight bottom end (not over blown bass) - something that will excite, but won't fatigue me after a period of listening long into the night.

From personal experience I can tell you that you are describing the Ultrasone Pro 750 and, probably more so, judging from what I've read about them, the Ultrasone Ed. 9. Would Ed. 9 owners care to comment on this? Also, how would the Pro 900 fit the OP's requirements?

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Peter,

Thanks for the recommendation of Ultrasone headphones - can any owners comment on their sound?

Monty

I only own a pair of HFI2200, not sure if already discontinued, and have listened to a couple of pro models 650 and 750 IIRC.
Ultrasone raise more opposite comments than any other brand in this forum. Some people love them and others find their sound weird and unnatural. I'm kind of eclectic, they have their pros and cons as anything else.
IMHO dynamically and for the bass quality and slam they could be what you're looking for, but it's in the excessive side of things (at least in the models I know) and the treble is also in the sharp side of things, in a different way some Grado models have it. However in dynamic impact and general "slam" they're somewhat behind the Grados, they show they're not as sensitive and are a notch more compressed.
I think you might like them, so try them if you have the chance. Maybe you can find a pair of used HFI780 or Pro750, so you could try them with little risk. Just remember they are very sensitive to placement relative to your ear canal entrance, finding a right tonal balance and making them sounding coherent may be a little tricky.

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #24 of 41
Ah it would appear from doing a quick search on hear that like many pieces of audio kit, the Ultrasone polarize opinions. They do appear to be good value when compared to some other models that have been recommended.

I'm going to listen to a pair of Grado GS-1000 on Thursday - lets hope they 'work' for me.

Monty

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #25 of 41
Good luck with the trial and please let's know the outcome. Of all the current Grado models those are reported as the less "Grado", but I haven't listened to them myself. Maybe you're lucky and you can try the RS-1 or RS-2 with flats too. They should be quite different.

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

I only own a pair of HFI2200, not sure if already discontinued, and have listened to a couple of pro models 650 and 750 IIRC.
Ultrasone raise more opposite comments than any other brand in this forum. Some people love them and others find their sound weird and unnatural. I'm kind of eclectic, they have their pros and cons as anything else.
IMHO dynamically and for the bass quality and slam they could be what you're looking for, but it's in the excessive side of things (at least in the models I know) and the treble is also in the sharp side of things, in a different way some Grado models have it. However in dynamic impact and general "slam" they're somewhat behind the Grados, they show they're not as sensitive and are a notch more compressed.
I think you might like them, so try them if you have the chance. Maybe you can find a pair of used HFI780 or Pro750, so you could try them with little risk. Just remember they are very sensitive to placement relative to your ear canal entrance, finding a right tonal balance and making them sounding coherent may be a little tricky.

Writing from the perspective of someone who has had a great deal of experience with the Pro 750, I can tell you that the 'sharp treble' to which you referred, definitely fades to what you might call "realistic sounding normality" after considerable burn in time of around 250 hours. Also, after that amount of burn in, the frequency spectrum takes on an excellent and appealing balance.
I have never known a headphone to be more sensitive to it's source than the Pro 750. It sounds significantly better with no (or, a "flat") equalizer adjustment (given that the recording was recorded correctly), with no DSP alteration (such as Dolby Headphone which when used with the Pro 750 causes the sound stage to sound unnatural, IMO) and when the Pro 750's are placed in a certain way on the head (as you mentioned in your post) to find the "sweet spot" for the individual listener.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #28 of 41
Oh Peter, I had the idea you had left this forum, once you said you were leaving... anyway, we all know your opinions about the ubber accuracy of Ultrasones. I won't discuss about it with you, as it is wasting time. If for you are the only very best valid option, have fun with them
wink.gif

I think that for Monty it'd be wiser to listen to them and deciding himself.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never known a headphone to be more sensitive to it's source than the Pro 750.

Peter have you any experience of using the Pro 750 with a Lavry DA10 or Benchmark DAC1?

Monty

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Oh Peter, I had the idea you had left this forum, once you said you were leaving... anyway, we all know your opinions about the ubber accuracy of Ultrasones. I won't discuss about it with you, as it is wasting time. If for you are the only very best valid option, have fun with them
wink.gif

I think that for Monty it'd be wiser to listen to them and deciding himself.

Hi Cool_Torpedo!
I think you might have either misunderstood me or read a supposed quote that I made according to someone else which was inaccurate. I never said that Ultrasones were the most accurate headphones. What I said (in essence) was that they were the most realistic and accurate sounding that I've ever heard.
And, I often posted that I have definitely not heard every headphone. My best guess, actually, based on what I've read, is that the Edition 9 and some electrostats are probably more detailed and accurate than the Pro 750 but I have never heard the Ed 9's or any electrostats so, obviously, I could not, at this point, make that comparison. BTW, I absolutely agree with you that the OP should hear all headphone options he is considering for himself.
Regarding my leaving, when I left, I said that I would be back in the future.
This may come as a surprise to you but I do respect your opinion. I don't always agree with you but I do value and definitely give substantial consideration to what you write.

Quote:

Peter have you any experience of using the Pro 750 with a Lavry DA10 or Benchmark DAC1? Monty

No, I haven't. I suggest that you also write to Covenant, MaloS and Kwkarth. Their opinions are somewhat different but sometimes they agree. They may be able to give you some diverse opinions (possibly to the point of polarization which will possibly confuse you and cause you to want to hear these combinations for yourself) specifically regarding this amp and headphone combination as well as others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back