Oh I need your advice
Nov 30, 2008 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

MontyW

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a bit of a dilemma! My problem is I am moving to much smaller house and I will no longer be able to accommodate my JBL LSR6328P monitors and 6312SP subs. I reached this speaker combo after quite some time of research/listening and eventually selling lots of valve gear. I am not selling my JBL's as it took me ages to find my ideal speaker combo and my move to a smaller place is for only 3 years.

All my system will consist of is my Apple Mac and Lavry DA10 - so here is the question: Can you guys recommend me a short list of 'cans' that I can use with the Benchmark, that will give me the dynamics and weight of the JBL's?

I have no idea where to start and my budget is pretty much open - so suggestions would be welcomed.

Mnay thanks,

Monty

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 41
No headphone system will bring the weight of the subs, this is a function of sheer mass and the ability to move air volume. That said there are a number of cans that will bring the range and dynamics.
The system you have and will keep is being put aside because of proximity to other house members? If that’s the case possibly you also like to isolate yourself from their noise with closed headphones. Myself, I’ve always wanted hd 650s, open but with a lush signature, comfortable for hours of listening as well. I don’t have these. I have an old pair of HD545s and I’m not parting with them but I do enjoy what some people call the veil that this brand has; in a word, smooth. Not all of Sennheisers line have this, they also have a line of closed headphones. I haven’t had the pleasure to hear them. Denon has a line of comfortable closed headphones although you might want to start listening to these mid way up their model line. Grado has some nice open sets, it’s a brand you might like to audition as well
I’d suggest you look at the web site of headroom and come up with a budget and type of headphone you’d like. Budget and type seem to be directions you need to investigate before the more experienced members come back with recommendations. I’m sure someone else might ask about music styles you listen to. You having JBLs I pretty sure it’s rock. <wink>
I think it’s great that you’ve decided to save you system for use in the future. I had a set of Magnapan speakers that I sold because they wouldn’t fit into my place. In retrospect I think I should have gotten rid of some furniture instead.
Those studio monitors look nice, think you might be happy listening to them without the subs?
Has anyone said sorry about your wallet yet?

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 41
Hi ri_toast,

Thanks for the reply. I need a pair of headphones, not because of proximity to other house members, but I am moving overseas for a few years with work and I'm going to be living in a small apartment.

I had a pair of Grado RS1 that I found very open and transparent, but lacked bottom end grunt! I sold those and have not replaced them.

You guessed right with my taste in music - I mainly listen to rock and blues, with some acoustic material.

I will look at headroom and post again once I have done this.

All the best,

Monty

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ri_toast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hopefully your going to Norway; you can hook up with krmathis and listen to his stax collection.

Nah I'm afraid no where to Norway but heading to the far East.

Having looked at Headroom - I sort of like the AKG K701 but am amazed they suggest it takes a few hundred hours before these headphones reach there best and perhaps these headphones are too refined? May be they don't have the bottom end grunt I would like?. I also like the look of the Denon AH-D700.

I guess both these headphones are poles apart - their design seems to be.

All the best,

Monty

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 41
yes, the 701s are too refined. I guess you need a "punchy fun" can. look at the Audio Technica line. They've been a oem for many electronics companies that needed to provide a brand name to product loyalitists.

whatever you get, sadly you'll probally tire of and need a new sound eventually. too bad there's not any stores i know of locally that carry all of the major brands to demo.

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 41
If you desire more warmth in your music from the RS1 the K701 is going to be a bad idea, cause it's even colder. I think you could try the HD600/HD650 if you desire a warmer, smoother sound.

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 41
Hi,

Its hard for me to describe what sound I'm looking for, but I'd like great dynamics, transparency, punch, tight bottom end (not over blown bass) - something that will excite, but won't fatigue me after a period of listening long into the night.

AND a pair of headphones that will be a great match for my Lavry DA10.

Cheers,

Monty

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 41
I don't know about the synergy or lack thereof with your source but your preference sounds like you are describing the STAX/electrostatic sound, at least the more recent Stax products.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MontyW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Its hard for me to describe what sound I'm looking for, but I'd like great dynamics, transparency, punch, tight bottom end (not over blown bass) - something that will excite, but won't fatigue me after a period of listening long into the night.

AND a pair of headphones that will be a great match for my Lavry DA10.

Cheers,

Monty

I don't think the AKG K-701 is what you're looking for. They're better suited to acoustic material and don't hit the lows the way you'd like them to.

The Sennheiser HD-650 might be what you're looking for. I don't know how well they'd match to your system, but they are capable of everything you're asking for. They'll sound a little veiled with some amps, but open, transparent and nearly electrostatic with others. Another headphone that might interest you is the Sony MDR-SA5000. They can get a little fatiguing after awhile, but they have all the other qualities you're looking for.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 41
Hi Uncle Erik,

Thanks for the comments on the AKG K-701 - if they don't hit the lows then they aren't for me.

The Sennheiser HD-650 seem great value and are definitely on my short list.

Thanks,

Monty

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MontyW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a pair of Grado RS1 that I found very open and transparent, but lacked bottom end grunt! I sold those and have not replaced them.

You guessed right with my taste in music - I mainly listen to rock and blues, with some acoustic material.

Monty

Interesting, you didn't care for the RS-1 which is probably THE most recommended can for rock music.

I not sure what you mean when you say "lacked bottom end grunt". Perhaps you could expand on that? I'm beginning to believe you may not get the sound you're after since the bass will NOT have the feel produced by a sub. Also, what was your experience when you EQ'd the RS1 for more bass?

The Sennheisers are sure to disappoint if you didn't care for the RS1, at least based on my experience with the HD580s. Though these would be my second choice (to the RS1) for rock, you might want to investigate the JVC DX-1000, which is a closed can with deep bass. The Beyerdynamic DT-990 is also reputed to have deep bass. These may be more what you're looking for.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 41
Hi Aimless1,

I had the Grado RS1 headphones when I had a completely different set-up. It was in the days when I had just got rid of a BD-Design TwinDac+ and had replaced it with a Benchmark DAC1.

I found the RS1 with the DAC1 ti be really light in the bottom end bass. There wasn't the sheer gravitas that I thought I would get.

As mentioned I now have a JBL/sub set-up that is transparent, dynamic and has controlled deep, deep bass - not overblown or over the top, just right in my view.

May be I shouldn't discount the RS1 just yet.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #15 of 41
MontyW, did you try the RS-1 with flat pads? That could have given you the bass you were missing. I know JBL sound a bit, I lived with a pair of 4312A for some years, and I think I understand the dynamics you're looking for. Probably "your" Grados were the PS-1, but those are too expensive nowadays. Maybe the GS-1000 were your second best, but I can't know since I never listened to these.

I think you'd like to demo somewhere the Denon D5000, and probably some Ultrasones. Other choice which might be of your interest are the JVC DX-1000. All these cans have the kind of dynamic slam, deep bass and clarity you're looking for, but with different "tonal flavors" and peculiarities that would make some more appealing to you than others.

Your "problem" is that you know what you're looking for, and buying blindly or just for others advice is like gaming lottery, so do your best to demo some of these models, then you'd know which are "the ones". Also don't forget to try the RS-1 with flats, they could be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back