Oh how I hate Eagle PCB - Any help with A47 upgrade?
Aug 28, 2010 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ruffy

Head-Fier
What should have been easy has turned into a nightmare for me.

I'm trying to add a crossfeed circuit to a A47. And etch my own pcb, but I can't seem to get eagle to agree with me on anything. I've gotten 95% done with my routing only to find out that it wont work, I end up with 4 to 5 airwires that I can't jump, can't top route, can't do anything with. 

So I scratch the design and try again, and again, and again.

I'm sure its more a problem with the schematic itself, Looking at it, it just seems wrong, my V+ and V- aren't being linked from the power section to the opamps. 

Anyone care to gander what I can do about mixed grounds, and the V+ issue

Heres the schematic

Dunno how the pics will turn out, the board layout is obviously not done, and broken, ive just started rotating things, and trying different methods to get my routes to work.  Crossfeed is upper left, power bottom right, amp stage is the rest 

How can I separate the power section from everything else. There should only be two signal paths going from that to the amp stage. + and - to power the opamps, but looking at it you can see that C1 and C2 aren't routing to the opamps as they should. I also can't keep the grounds separate. I've tried different ground symbols. I've tried naming them, giving them values, i just can't seem to get it to cooperate. 

any help is appreciated

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
What should have been easy has turned into a nightmare for me.

I'm trying to add a crossfeed circuit to a A47. And etch my own pcb, but I can't seem to get eagle to agree with me on anything. I've gotten 95% done with my routing only to find out that it wont work, I end up with 4 to 5 airwires that I can't jump, can't top route, can't do anything with. 

So I scratch the design and try again, and again, and again.

I'm sure its more a problem with the schematic itself, Looking at it, it just seems wrong, my V+ and V- aren't being linked from the power section to the opamps. 

Anyone care to gander what I can do about mixed grounds, and the V+ issue

Heres the schematic

Dunno how the pics will turn out, the board layout is obviously not done, and broken, ive just started rotating things, and trying different methods to get my routes to work.  Crossfeed is upper left, power bottom right, amp stage is the rest 

How can I separate the power section from everything else. There should only be two signal paths going from that to the amp stage. + and - to power the opamps, but looking at it you can see that C1 and C2 aren't routing to the opamps as they should. I also can't keep the grounds separate. I've tried different ground symbols. I've tried naming them, giving them values, i just can't seem to get it to cooperate. 

any help is appreciated

Is V+ connected to C1? I don't see a solder dot there. I draw a lot of schematics, and I always avoid four-way nets. It's easier to verify a line is actually netted if every connection is separate. Also, I never count on a connection if the net ends at a right angle to a pin. You have several instances of this in your schematic, such as V- on your opamps. Drag the components around so you can tell the net is connected to the pin.

To verify your schematic do a netlist check. Print the schematic and netlist, and verify all connections on the schematic to the netlist. I typically use a highlighter and verify all pin-to-pin connections.

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 8
If you are etching your own boards, I'd use PCBartist (its free), I found eagle to be pure frustration

cheers
FRED

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #5 of 8
It sounds like you're trying to make the autorouter do all the work.  Unless you're willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars and still do a lot of up-front work, autorouters are no substitute for a human.  At best, I find the EAGLE autorouter good for generating a "sane layout metric".  That is to say, if a given layout change results in fewer airwires left, it means the change will probably result in a cleaner manual route, too.

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 8

to above, i'll check out the netlist(Still learning)

There was a dot there but I removed it when I changed the V+ symbol and forgot to put it back. The schematic is mostly copied from the A47 schems out there. Nothing special except for cap size since I sized them to what I have in a parts bin. 

Actually what you see is all hand routed, i havent autorouted anything, and I dont want a top layer. 
My previous layout looked alot better, with only two airwires left but no real way to jump them without using top mounted jumper wires.
My problem is still such, isolating the power ground section then possibly adding a ground pour. I dunno. My first foray into design and layout has given me a migraine. I had no problem with my protoboard. But this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It sounds like you're trying to make the autorouter do all the work.  Unless you're willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars and still do a lot of up-front work, autorouters are no substitute for a human.  At best, I find the EAGLE autorouter good for generating a "sane layout metric".  That is to say, if a given layout change results in fewer airwires left, it means the change will probably result in a cleaner manual route, too.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 8
Not sure why you would need to keep the grounds separate on this? Everything should reference to the virtual ground point. What I always do is name traces, including ground, in the schematic.

With the NAME command, click on the V+ trace in the PSU section of the schematic. Name it V+. Then click on the V+ traces  (not the symbol), and name them V+. If it asks you to connect something and V+, tell it yes. Do the same thing for V-, and for all the grounds.

I don't see airwires from C1 and C2 to V+ and V-, so you are definitely missing a connection in the schematic on that. There is a way to do this with the symbols, but I can't recall how you do that. Also you can use the SHOW command and type in a signal name to display all the traces that are connected to that symbol.

+1 on dragging components to see if you really have a connection or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back