Oh, Bose...
Mar 25, 2006 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

angler31337

500+ Head-Fier
"As Bose has addressed consumer concerns in the past, it is reasonable to expect that they are currently working to address most, if not all remaining problems, as Bose has always been committed to innovation and improvement year after year." (Wiki: Bose Headphone Family)

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

The TriPort Headphones have received the heaviest criticism of all Bose-branded headphones. Some Audiophiles and headphone aficionados have claimed the following:

Some claim that the material in the headband is extremely thin, that both the headband and earcups crack easily, and that the material cannot be exposed to extreme heat or cold. These claims have led to concerns that the headphones are not suitable for the rigors of portable use.
Dual-Corded Form Factor and the length of the cord got the same criticism that the original QuietComfort headphones did. See the discussion of this issue with the original QuietComfort headphones.
There are claims that the Bass levels tend to overwhelm the treble, often creating conditions in which the vocals can't be heard. This claim is the source of most of the dissatisfaction among audiophiles.
As of 2005, current shipments of the Bose Tri-Port Headphones have addressed most of the durability problems, the latest version of the headphones (featuring improved durability) have either a P3 or P6 labeled on the box and/or package.

Although the QuietComfort 2 Headphones were hit with less criticism than their predecessor, audiophiles and headphone aficionados (particularly those who frequent the websites "DesignTechnica" and head-fi.org), feel that even with the improvements, the QC2 has not yet been brought up to par as described through these problems herein:

It is claimed that the QuietComfort 2 headphones have excessive bass, masking treble detail, and unimpressive sound quality for its $299 MSRP.
Dependent Noise Cancellation. The headphones cannot be used with the noise cancellation turned off. This issue has not yet been resolved since the release of the QC2 Second Edition.
Vulnerability to Electrostatic Noise. The QuietComfort 2 Headphones are prone to radio frequency interference arising from other radio-emitting devices operating in the immediate vicinity.
Durability. Although the Bose QuietComfort 2 Headphones now come with a collapsable single-wire attenuator and a more durable headband, some still decry the use of significant amounts of plastic in the headphones' construction.

Good they know
rolleyes.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 21
Interesting. I just read the Wiki entry, and was surprised that it looks more like a magazine ad for Bose products. I wonder if the Bose company had a hand in writing it.

I recently listened to a pair of Triports at the local Apple Store. There are a few songs Apple puts on the sample iPods that I know well, so I decided to play those. The Triports were awful. At first, I thought they weren't plugged in correctly. But they were. Then I thought the iPod EQ settings were off. They weren't even turned on. Then I thought the pair I was listening to was damaged, so I switched to another setup. Same exact sound, the first ones were not broken.

Why does anyone buy these? I'm forgiving of most equipment. I even think Apple's iBuds are OK. Nothing special, but they're OK when I don't want to use IEMs or bring along real headphones. And I've heard Bose products that sound OK, but the Triports weren't even listenable. They were aggressively bad. Sort of sad, because Bose has the resources and manufacturing capability to make something good.

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Interesting. I just read the Wiki entry, and was surprised that it looks more like a magazine ad for Bose products. I wonder if the Bose company had a hand in writing it.

That was the first thing that came to my mind too...

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Why does anyone buy these? I'm forgiving of most equipment. I even think Apple's iBuds are OK. Nothing special, but they're OK when I don't want to use IEMs or bring along real headphones. And I've heard Bose products that sound OK, but the Triports weren't even listenable. They were aggressively bad. Sort of sad, because Bose has the resources and manufacturing capability to make something good.

I bought the triports and I think they're QUITE good. The very first time I heard the triports I thought they sounded bad, but if there's one thing I learned from buying the K701s is that first impression means nothing.

The triports are extremely light and portable, comfortable, easy to drive, very good bass impact, and the imaging is better than what I expected. They just don't shoot sound into your ear like the el cheapo clipons (e.g. Koss), but they also project space and soundstage, making them very good headphones for DVD and live music.

I bet that those who hate the triports never owned one or never really cared for Bose (just like there are always iPod haters-- why? because it's white and made by Apple). Those who had the triports and hate it probably do so because of the cheap, fragile build and inflated price, not because of the sound. I've seen people who, even after having their triports broken in half, bought a second pair as a replacement.

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 21
atx- no offense intended. I don't have anything in particular against Bose. I like their earlier 601 and 901 loudspeakers- reflected sound (I love dipoles, too) isn't such a bad idea. You lose some detail, but they do sound musical. Especially the 601. I'll probably wind up with a pair of those sooner or later. Used prices are pretty good, too.

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2
It's the other way around for me. It first sounded good, a few months later with some other can listening, all I heard was a one-note bloated honky bass.

Triports are solid mid-fi cans, but they can't compete with the likes of hd-580 or k501, which is in the same price range. As my first choices, I would pick the 580 or 501, but I already have those and they're also a real pain to carry, need an amp to sound good, they are open so they don't isolate as well, plus the huge cups really screams attention.

I use the triports when I'm traveling as an alternative to my um2-- for that end, they're really good for what it is -- a portable, closed can with decent sound quality. I must really like "bloated honky bass" because I think one of the best qualities of the triport is the bass.
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I bought the triports and I think they're QUITE good. The very first time I heard the triports I thought they sounded bad, but if there's one thing I learned from buying the K701s is that first impression means nothing.

The triports are extremely light and portable, comfortable, easy to drive, very good bass impact, and the imaging is better than what I expected. They just don't shoot sound into your ear like the el cheapo clipons (e.g. Koss), but they also project space and soundstage, making them very good headphones for DVD and live music.

I bet that those who hate the triports never owned one or never really cared for Bose (just like there are always iPod haters-- why? because it's white and made by Apple). Those who had the triports and hate it probably do so because of the cheap, fragile build and inflated price, not because of the sound. I've seen people who, even after having their triports broken in half, bought a second pair as a replacement.

I hate bose because I auditioned their cans and didn't like the way they sounded (weren't worth the the $$ at all), and I hate iPod because they don't offer the features I'm looking for in a player. I like FLAC and Ogg support out of the box, or with an official firmware upgrade. Thus I feel Cowon and iRiver put out superior players. The only reason iPods sell so well is because they are white and are made by Apple..

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx

If the triports were about $20, we would like them a lot better. The HD201 easily beats the triports.

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 21
atx, I don't see how you can say the Triports are good. If you listen closely to their upper-midrange, it's quite messy compared to the MS-1s.

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Bose_triport_dance1.jpg

I laughed so hard at that pic.
biggrin.gif

Are you kidding me? That's exactly how I listen to my headphones basically all the time--while jumping up and down on a trampoline.

-Angler
600smile.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #15 of 21
I've had the triports for a couple of months.

To be truthful, i rather enjoyed them at first.

The bass for certain pop songs really hit it, albeit a little forced.

Then i realised it all seems a bit...weird...
Like i was listening to a frankenstein monster of sorts.

Yup...it was MESSY.
That's all i know how to describe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back