1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

OGG Vorbis vs. MP3 LAME

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by leckel1996, Apr 15, 2012.
First

Back
  1. bigshot
    ogg is pretty close to AAC. I think it's MP4, right? Generally, I find that AAC is the same as MP3 LAME one notch up, and two notches on Frauenhofer. So Frauenhofer MP3 320 is the same as LAME 256 or AAC/Ogg 192. All of those are transparent in 99.9% of music. In my library, I've gone one notch into overkill... AAC 256. I added VBR so the file would be distributed intelligently. 

2. xnor
    Vorbis and AAC are the codecs / formats that contain the audio, Ogg and mp4 the containers (for example for tags).

Vorbis VBR@200 should be a bit better than MP3 V0, so transparent in virtually every case.

3. carltonh
    I'm going to zombie to life an old thread. But I have been unable to tell a difference from my flac files vs. ogg and 256 kbps+ mp3. If I love an album and buy the CD, I'll encode albums I love most and own on CD in FLAC. If not as much, I'll choose somewhere between 256 and 500 kbps OGG. If I buy a digital album in MP3, I don't convert it.

First

Back