Official X5 2nd gen "Coming Soon" Announcement
Jun 1, 2015 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile

Dear respected customers,

In December 2013, FiiO’s 2nd hi-res portable DAP, the X5, greeted the market. The market soon responded with great interest. It was from the X5 onwards that FiiO’s X series possessed its present signature mechanical scroll wheel and X keygroup. The control layout was inspired by DJ mixers, but it doesn’t hurt that it is a familiar layout to iPod classic users, while remaining suitably distinctive.

Starting from X5’s preview tours (before official product launch), the X5 was subject to the market’s continuous feedback and we strived to improve the user experience of the X5 accordingly via firmware upgrades, a process that continues even now, through over ten firmware iterations. Thusly we strive to let everyone get more and more out of the product they bought from us, which is the best way we know of to show our appreciation for all our respected customers.

The first gen X5 had undeniably left a deep impression in the market; although its production run has ended, it’s a classic model that has served us and our customers very well indeed. Nevertheless, as an electronic product, the X5 is not immune to the rigours of product cycling. After more than one year of commission, now is time for us to say goodbye to our beloved X5 and greet its new born successor the X5 2nd gen.

The main improvements of the X5 2nd gen (FX5221) over the 1st gen are as follows:
1. All-new exterior design, improved build, with metal finish changed from powdered to brushed;
2. More compact and lightweight; smaller black borders around LCD;
3. All-new independent amplification stage with analogue volume control, increasing audio resolution and enabling feature for native DSD decoding;
4. All new digital audio architecture, utilizing dual crystal oscillators dedicated to multiples of 44.1 and 48kHz respectively (including 176.4kHz=4x44.1, 192kHz=4x48 and DSD64 and DSD128 (multiples of 44.1), handling all major sample rates without resampling artifacts and minimal jitter;
5. Supporting native DSD decoding and DSD ISO decoding;
6. Supporting CTIA-standard in-line earphone remotes (e.g. Apple, Samsung compatible earphones)
7. Breakthrough power architecture design that utilizes different system voltages for low and high gain, allowing maximum flexibility between long endurance and high driving power in the same unit.
8. All-new power management feature: auto standby mode allows player to remain in standby for weeks, ready to continue playing instantly.
9. Coulomb meter for precise battery level readouts.

The new X5 is coming soon! Please stay tuned for further updates!

Best regards,

FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.

Note: firmware updates to the X5 1st gen will continue until further notice.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 1, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 7
Very interested. I have a question, not sure if it's been answered elsewhere - when using the DAC function, will the screen now display the correct bit depth; i.e. when playing a 16-bit file from a computer, will it show 16/44.1 etc., or will it always display 24? Thanks.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Exciting news.  I love my X5 and I'm sure the X5v2 will be even better.  

But please [size=xx-small]PLEASE [/size]PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE continue improving the original X5's firmware.  You guys have been great so far at making it better and better.  Your "service after the sale" is the main reason I recommend it to my friends.  I hope you will keep it up.  I'd be sad to see it abandoned as the new version hits the market.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 7
  Exciting news.  I love my X5 and I'm sure the X5v2 will be even better.  

But please [size=xx-small]PLEASE [/size]PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE continue improving the original X5's firmware.  You guys have been great so far at making it better and better.  Your "service after the sale" is the main reason I recommend it to my friends.  I hope you will keep it up.  I'd be sad to see it abandoned as the new version hits the market.

+1 on this.  The original X5 is still a fine DAP.  Please don't abandon the effort to polish the firmware since it only makes the X5 that much better for folks holding on to theirs.  Plus you can try things out on the X5 firmware before implementing it on the X5 Gen 2.
biggrin.gif

Cheers and All the Best!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #7 of 7
Hello kedarroy,

Many places in the US will probably hold preorder sales for the X5 2nd gen but we do not officially keep track of such preorder activities here at FiiO. In fact I would recommend looking for readily available X5's to come "in stock" at your local retailers / e-tailers rather than preordering, because we do not track retailers' preorders and as such long preorder queues can build up while other retailers nearby are selling their X5's directly--although we have made it official policy to require all retailers to honor refunds for your preorders in such cases, it is one more thing to worry about and not legally enforceable at our end.

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back