Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Feb 17, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #976 of 1,479
I got them today and the treble is unbearable. I’m going to return them, a bit of weirdness in the sound signature is ok but this is just painful.
That's interesting. I find their treble performance pretty spot on, if anything a bit subdued. I think the Sundara and 560s have more treble energy for example.

I'm in my late 30s so not sure if that factors into it lol.

Feb 17, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #977 of 1,479
I got them today and the treble is unbearable. I’m going to return them, a bit of weirdness in the sound signature is ok but this is just painful.
Fortunately for me, not painful to my ears, and they don’t come off as too hot in the treble either, but there is something about them that gets fatiguing to my ears after some time listening. I love the soundstage though, and the detail and separation.

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #978 of 1,479
My order is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. However will probably be delayed due to bad weather/tornado warnings today. I am going to listen to them stock. If I dont like that then I will do the Oratory
eq. Hopefully that will work. If not I will just do the sticker mod. I think this was to good of a deal to pass on as I have always wanted the 800s

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #979 of 1,479
My order is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. However will probably be delayed due to bad weather/tornado warnings today. I am going to listen to them stock. If I dont like that then I will do the Oratory
eq. Hopefully that will work. If not I will just do the sticker mod. I think this was to good of a deal to pass on as I have always wanted the 800s
If you look at Crinacle's review on his website, he offers some quick EQ settings for those with an 800s to get a taste of the 8xx sound. I just reversed the db values at each frequency to make an "800s" EQ for my 8xx. If nothing else it will give you a taste of what the 800s sounds like somewhat.

I much prefer the stock 8xx tuning. 800s EQ is way too bright and lean. After getting used to them I prefer stock to the Oratory 1990 Harman EQ as well

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #982 of 1,479
Just got mine. The SN is in the 013xx range. Which means Drop sold perhaps 1300 units at most if they started from 0.

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #983 of 1,479
Just got mine. The SN is in the 013xx range. Which means Drop sold perhaps 1300 units at most if they started from 0.
Mine is just below 1300 so makes sense.

I think the initial batch was 2000 units, if I recall from a post on the drop website discussion. With the sale I could see them selling through sooner rather than later, I'm seeing lots of people pulling the trigger on Reddit and such.

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #984 of 1,479
Mine is just below 1300 so makes sense.

I think the initial batch was 2000 units, if I recall from a post on the drop website discussion. With the sale I could see them selling through sooner rather than later, I'm seeing lots of people pulling the trigger on Reddit and such.
True. I have friends who didn't really buy expensive headphones jumped on the wagon cause even if it's a bit worse than 800S, $699 can barely buy anything overall better.

Elex is a good sounding one but the resolution is audibly lower, and the broken drivers.....

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #985 of 1,479
My SN is in the 018XX range. I received them yesterday and also received my Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin Pads today. Just installed. My Hart Audio Cables arrive next Tuesday. Impressions forth coming.

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #986 of 1,479
True. I have friends who didn't really buy expensive headphones jumped on the wagon cause even if it's a bit worse than 800S, $699 can barely buy anything overall better.

Elex is a good sounding one but the resolution is audibly lower, and the broken drivers.....
I think for $699 is an incredible buy. Given that EQ is so easy nowadays, you can't buy anything at that price with better build and drivers.

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #987 of 1,479
My SN is in the 018XX range. I received them yesterday and also received my Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin Pads today. Just installed. My Hart Audio Cables arrive next Tuesday. Impressions forth coming.
Where did you order the fenestrated sheepskin pads, off drop?

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #988 of 1,479
Feb 17, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #989 of 1,479
Is 4 days I'm playing with the 8xx but still can't make my mind about. I really like the way the treble are bearable now (compared to hd800), but the rest of the sound is confusing.
With the EQ some record sounds fantastic, but as change music, it is impossible to predict what sounds will pop up.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #990 of 1,479
This is sad. If I offered you a Mercedes for > 50% off and explained you may need to change the tires (pads) or tune the engine (EQ) to get your desired performance (understanding the tires and tuning were not ideal for everyone on the original) would you say no? This is assuming you were even close to considering the Mercedes at full price in the first place based on your means. There is an 800 series Sennheiser for $699 and the fact that so many are going to miss out based on confirmation bias and territorial pissings is so stupid. Never thought I could afford an 800 series when I started this hobby. Will continue to listen and share my impressions. Not sure this discourse is helpful. I hope you grab your favorite cans and listen to your favorite music tonight and smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back