Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Jul 21, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #481 of 1,473
Still very tempted...but I also just bought a Lokius for this exact purpose...

Jul 21, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #482 of 1,473
They made some much needed changes to the HD8XX tuning. Sounds more like the product I wanted when it was first announced. I'll be getting in a pre-order for sure now.
Seems strange that they would send out those pre-production units to begin with.

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #484 of 1,473
They are probably 99% finalised units with possibly final materials and fine tuning. Just might need that last bit of polish before they go out the door.
I got the impression that these would be different from the wording used over at drop. I assume Joshua Valor and Z reviews got the earlier version.

In February, we hit our goals from a measurements perspective, but our subjective evaluation, and those in our community validation process aligned to the same conclusion: the 8XX didn’t sound like a logical conclusion for the HD 8 series, it sounded like something between the 800 and 800S. We achieved a 2.5db bass increase from the 800S, but because of the cavernous earcups and resonant characteristics of the housing, subjective impressions were too close to the original. Cup volume doesn’t have the same diffuse effect on mids and highs, but beyond the light bass, we were still wrestling with the 5-6k resonance, unable to eliminate it. Given all of that, we returned to Sennheiser and continued to iterate on tunings with Jermo and his team. After several rounds, we arrived at the final 8XX tuning,

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #485 of 1,473
Just saw the news from CVP of Drop.
Finally, we’re excited to announce that pre-orders are on track to ship nearly three months early. Instead of late November, DROP and Sennheiser are doing everything possible to ship these in the first half of September. These are ambitious efforts, but Senneheiser and Drop’s logistics organizations is working to deliver ASAP.

Jul 25, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #486 of 1,473
Just saw the news from CVP of Drop.
Finally, we’re excited to announce that pre-orders are on track to ship nearly three months early. Instead of late November, DROP and Sennheiser are doing everything possible to ship these in the first half of September. These are ambitious efforts, but Senneheiser and Drop’s logistics organizations is working to deliver ASAP.
Awesome. Can wait to hear impressions from people who actually bought them. Resale prices for HD800S have come down in the past 6 months. It will be interesting to see which has the better resale value in 2022.

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #489 of 1,473
Seems an embargo might be lifting soon, so we'll get impressions well before then.

Z has his take (you can tell by the title he's enjoying it)

- says they are ~really~ good on tube amps for whatever reason @9:25

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #490 of 1,473
I sent an email to Drop support asking for a review set. I’m too new to perhaps get one like the big guys out there, but I really hope I get the chance!

I’ve had the 8XX ordered since they launched the pre-orders. I happen to be one of those people who likes the Sennheiser sound on any of their headphones I’ve tried. I hope to get it early to share my take on it!

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #491 of 1,473
I sent an email to Drop support asking for a review set. I’m too new to perhaps get one like the big guys out there, but I really hope I get the chance!

I’ve had the 8XX ordered since they launched the pre-orders. I happen to be one of those people who likes the Sennheiser sound on any of their headphones I’ve tried. I hope to get it early to share my take on it!
I love my HD800S headphones. In fact, I love all of my Sennheiser headphones. I am just not sure if the HD8XX is different enough to buy a pair.

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #494 of 1,473
Holy moly!🤪
1629539045224.png

Looks like Sennheiser has made an old school planar magnetic out of the 800. Quite the feat in itself and should probably please folks who are allergic to mids. The way the mids drop off right around 900hz is textbook planar.
One thing though which this new tuning does succeed in: it is undoubtedly going to be a much warmer sounding can than it’s daddyo. Whether that is good or bad is of course down to the listener. Personally I’m glad I didn’t jump on it.

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #495 of 1,473
Holy moly!🤪
1629539045224.png
Looks like Sennheiser has made an old school planar magnetic out of the 800. Quite the feat in itself and should probably please folks who are allergic to mids. The way the mids drop off right around 900hz is textbook planar.
One thing though which this new tuning does succeed in: it is undoubtedly going to be a much warmer sounding can than it’s daddyo. Whether that is good or bad is of course down to the listener. Personally I’m glad I didn’t jump on it.
Yeah this is disappointing, and I suspect there'll be a lot of cancellations and returns.

A lesson in their product development that Drop will be learning the hard way, as they slowly have been with many other products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back