Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Jun 14, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #468 of 1,479
I hope this headphone does well to be honest. Too many people calling it a failure by looking at the graphs alone, which is insanity. Graphs are meant to help explain hearing to a degree, not to entirely eliminate hearing the headphone. Also seems that drop is willing to revise as needed even if the sound signature right off the bat has issues. Personally, I'm going to wait until after the first batch ships and longer term reviews come out before I decide to take the plunge. Depending on its sound, this could actually take me out of the audiophile community.

Also, the 5 months assumes that drop has no delays, which drop has had delays in the past on several products so hopes to them having smooth sailing!

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #469 of 1,479
Do you guys think there's a valid reason to get these if you own (well, I own) early HD800's? By early I mean before they ninja tweaked the sound a couple years in, before the HD800S finally came out as a full revision (so mine apparently is the shrillest). Or, is EQ'ing the original model good enough?

Is there anything intrinsic in the changes made that just can't be equalized?

Jun 29, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #470 of 1,479
Do you guys think there's a valid reason to get these if you own (well, I own) early HD800's? By early I mean before they ninja tweaked the sound a couple years in, before the HD800S finally came out as a full revision (so mine apparently is the shrillest). Or, is EQ'ing the original model good enough?

Is there anything intrinsic in the changes made that just can't be equalized?
From what's already been written, it might be worth modding your HD 800 if you haven't already rather than buying again. There's the SuperDupont, then there's variations on top of that which are well regarded, but more complex, for example: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/senn-hd800-ultimate-s-mod.879024/

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #471 of 1,479
From what's already been written, it might be worth modding your HD 800 if you haven't already rather than buying again. There's the SuperDupont, then there's variations on top of that which are well regarded, but more complex, for example: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/senn-hd800-ultimate-s-mod.879024/

man I'd like to try all this stuff out but seems out of my league, I'm not too crafty

had that thread bookmarked for a while but even the SDR mod seems iffy for my clumsy hands

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #472 of 1,479
5 months to go, 8XX will not include a balanced cable, so I just bought a balanced cable from AliExpress for $30.

H90776a7319da4f0cba9695b513e449fdr.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #473 of 1,479
All the critique for the lack of a balanced cable was really overblown in my opinion. It seemed that a lot of it was based on it being included with the 800s which they claimed had a value of $300 because that is what sennheiser is charging for one on their site.. only problem is that the cable sold on sennheisers site is an "upgrade cable" and the one included is a basic type. Another point in sennheisers defense is that nowadays there seems to be a move away from xlr towards 4.4 so it would be hard to please everyone anyway not to mention that most buyers would probably never touch the balanced cable at all.
I also think that a lot just jumped on the hate bandwagon because they expected a hd6xx, 50% lower than retail type situation and got disappointed when that did not happen.

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #474 of 1,479
It is quiet from Sennheiser/drop though.. would have expected some news by now because they stated that the november shipping date is just a placeholder and that they would most likely start shipping sooner.

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #475 of 1,479
All the critique for the lack of a balanced cable was really overblown in my opinion. It seemed that a lot of it was based on it being included with the 800s which they claimed had a value of $300 because that is what sennheiser is charging for one on their site.. only problem is that the cable sold on sennheisers site is an "upgrade cable" and the one included is a basic type. Another point in sennheisers defense is that nowadays there seems to be a move away from xlr towards 4.4 so it would be hard to please everyone anyway not to mention that most buyers would probably never touch the balanced cable at all.
I also think that a lot just jumped on the hate bandwagon because they expected a hd6xx, 50% lower than retail type situation and got disappointed when that did not happen.

Sennheiser also charges like $100 for earpads that are cheaper quality than Aliexpress knockoffs. It's really illogical to factor in OEM accessories.

Even Josh Valour said he was surprised the HD8XXs weren't $600....what is everyone smoking? Why would these be over $1000 less than MSRP of the normal version for no real reason?

Not everything scales in percentages like that. People are so entitled.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #478 of 1,479
(Mass)drop has updated the sticky post on their hd8xx page.

we’re excited to announce that pre-orders are on track to ship nearly three months early. Instead of late November, DROP and Sennheiser are doing everything possible to ship these in the first half of September.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back