Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Mar 26, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #436 of 1,479
Why is it that some people who use EQ insist on everybody else using it and won't stop recommending it to people who don't care and basically all people who don't use EQ are never caught telling those who use it to stop using it.

Like literally if you use EQ has anybody told you to stop and told you why it's wrong or I assume they almost all likely say why THEY don't use it.... If a reviewer uses EQ we also don't throw a fit but people using it somehow think it's ok to if the reviewer doesn't use their specific EQ profile and that a sentence of text demanding it requires someone who just wrote an entire dissertation to go back and revise the whole thing as if they were their college professor.

Legitimately we get it you think EQ is awesome, we just aren't interested, please enjoy your EQ, personally I want to pay for something and enjoy it, the good with the bad, I am very analog I will change pads those are 1's and 0's, pad X enabled or disabled, I don't enjoy the constant tinkering and variability I would start using EQ and constantly tweak it over and over like an addict, but that is just me. I have no problem with anybody using EQ I simply only buy headphones I think are good deals and every headphone I use is more than enough sound quality for me at the under $500 mark, yes some are better than others so my "version of EQ" is just switching headphones and that gives me a good feeling, just let me be.

Can some of you EQ cultists just accept that is that and stop trying to tell me that my headphoning experience is hot garbage because I refuse to play with frequency graphs?
Glad I blocked most of the offenders here but seriously get out of this thread with EQ supremacy, literally some of you are supporting this 8XX endeavor which is the exact opposite of just use EQ theory while simultaneously shilling EQ in other non EQ users faces and it makes absolutely zero sense.

This is a thread about the 8XX not a thread to argue about cables, or power cleanliness or EQ.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #437 of 1,479
All anybody asked was to give it a shot, not to fall down at the altar of it. It's a common thing mentioned about the HD 800 series.

Once again, Toni/Don, you have made an empty and wildly-emotive rant in an attempt to mark out a thread as your territory. I dare say more people have blocked you than the other way around.

May 2, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #443 of 1,479
880. That’s 14 on the last day of the initial month.

That would be revenue of $968,000 in a month.

2,120 left to sell in 8 months.

Maybe we’ll see how things stand in a month or two from now.

It looks like sales have basically flatlined on these.

880 at the start of March 19th, and now they’re at 923 on May 2nd.

That’s 43 units in 44 days, or less than one per day.

And the sales haven’t been consistent, in that it seems like they stop selling, Drop sends out an email, 5-10 units sell immediately, then they stop selling again. Rinse and repeat.

It’s a shame because the reviews are great. The consensus seems to be that they’re better than the HD800 and almost on par with the 800S, but for hundreds less.

So it sounds like they’re a great headphone at a decent price. But at the end of the day, we’re still talking about an $1100 headphone, and that’s a hard sell for most people.

May 3, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #445 of 1,479
923. 26 days 17 sales.
I distinctly remember some rep for Drop saying they might have to end early if it sells out 'in the next few months'
just lol
Yeah. Personally, as someone who often debates picking up some HD800s's they're just not that compelling (the 8xx). Nothing about the drop makes me want to impulse buy them. I would personally just get the proper HD800s and enjoy: Better looks (preference), probably better resale value and without a doubt better support from my local dealer if I ever ran into trouble down the line.

Add to that the used market, modded HD800's etc... Yeah. It's a tough sell for me. Also the drop being so damn far away didn't help.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #447 of 1,479
It's the price, that's all it is. I don't see the point of a Drop release without slashing the price like other Drop releases. I was expecting a price slashed Drop version, and that didn't happen. What's the point?
Sennheiser didn't do enough to make this a compelling offering. They didn't fix the known issues with the HD800S. If they did, it would be worth picking it up as a companion. Without fixing its known problems, the only thing left is price. Drop the price enough and they will move. Cannibalize other sales, but that's what you get for not improving the product enough.

May 3, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #448 of 1,479
Sennheiser didn't do enough to make this a compelling offering. They didn't fix the known issues with the HD800S. If they did, it would be worth picking it up as a companion. Without fixing its known problems, the only thing left is price. Drop the price enough and they will move. Cannibalize other sales, but that's what you get for not improving the product enough.
What known issues on the HD800S are you meaning? Anyway as I cannot buy from Drop I would rate that as my biggest annoyance with Sennheiser.

May 3, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #449 of 1,479
If they could fix it well enough, they would have put out a HD850 or whatever, but that never happened. I'm pretty sure everybody is waiting for a HD800 with improved tonality. They tweaked something tiny (may or may not be a slight improvement) and tried to market as significant, and I assume they went Drop route to release it. But, it's not what we expected in terms of price given it being a Drop release.

They really haven't had a significant release in a long time. Panda was a disappointment, and this one isn't a popular release as well.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #450 of 1,479
If they could fix it well enough, they would have put out a HD850 or whatever, but that never happened. I'm pretty sure everybody is waiting for a HD800 with improved tonality. They tweaked something tiny (may or may not be a slight improvement) and tried to market as significant, and I assume they went Drop route to release it. But, it's not what we expected in terms of price given it being a Drop release.

They really haven't had a significant release in a long time. Panda was a disappointment, and this one isn't a popular release as well.
Panda was another thing where they went completely off into a tangent that didn't make a lick of sense, even though I think the Mobius just plain sounds better they has DSP and should have done that first instead of waiting a year, but the balanced AMP's not needed and adds very little, the price is way to high when competing with mobius not only considering what it does the Panda does not that you pay for but Audeze paid for licensing actual tech Drop paid for a THX sticker..... it they were a bit more on the ball I would think they release with a mic and target something/someone they released a BT headphone that was already a headphone you could run from your phone(pm-3) and despite being such an old design the price was still high seemingly because it had never gone down leaving the question of was the amping a gimmick with weak amps? Because it didn't even really need near ANY amping.... guessing [X] balanced was a checkbox because they were so cheap.... did they just pick something they could do easily to cash out on the high price of a discontinued product? All this on the backs of crowdfunding like wow

The bottom line is instead of saying
Let's give people what they want or try to truly impress them with something new or an amazing price and make it work so we make money
Everything seems like they are putting cash first and foremost and gimmicking some community meme's or recycling the same old as an afterthought for cash grabs

What drop is doing is really not adding much value for people which is bottom line why we are seeing so many flops. If you do not add value for a customer you don't get $$$$.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back