Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Feb 18, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #166 of 1,473
I wonder how many of these people are aware of this fact? I was thinking of ordering a pair till I ran into that 'no service' quote in this thread. If you read through this thread and missed that quote.... who would think Massdrop and Sennheiser would screw the service pooch so hard?
they deleted all the critical comments for fluff and said it was "trolling"
drop is scum

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #167 of 1,473
drop is scum
That is what running a business is, you deal with both, positive and negative attitudes, also potential buyers and non buyers. If you don’t have the balls then you should just run home to mama basements, period.

So, I agree

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #168 of 1,473
That is what running a business is, you deal with both, positive and negative attitudes, also potential buyers and non buyers. If you don’t have the balls then you should just run home to mama basements, period.

So, I agree
In 2021, you just suppress the bad info so it doesn't jade potentially new customers. We'll refer to this as the Drop strategy from hereon out

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #169 of 1,473
In 2021, you just suppress the bad info so it doesn't jade potentially new customers. We'll refer to this as the Drop strategy from hereon out
Oh I have seen it (suppress what goes against you), and it is the trends everywhere from social media’s to political ...etc....lol. I love it, now I have the term “Drop strategy”

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #170 of 1,473
drop is scum
Yeah, I've noticed that. Been keeping an eye on their boards and the initial response last night from people there was very very negative...but it looks like they're deleting everything that isn't glowingly positive and ignoring any valid questions that would put light on the issues with quality or service.

Sucks cause I was all set to order this morning, even considered it after finding out the price...but no options for service long term made me just order an LCD-X instead. I'll just keep my eye on the used boards for a used HD800/800s in the meantime...seems safer than dealing with all the red-flags with Drop and the 8XX already.

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #171 of 1,473
Oh I have seen it (suppress what goes against you), and it is the trends everywhere from social media’s to political ...etc....lol. I love it, now I have the term “Drop strategy”
I had to erase my original statement because I started veering in that direction, too. Turns out the types of people who do this care far more about ridicule than being reasoned with, which is why I have no shame coming on here and being brutally honest about how I perceive them as a company. Feels good to be in good company.

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #172 of 1,473
Given the wait and the price, this would really only be worth buying if it's actually better than the HD800S in bass without losing anything out on soundstage. I would love to see how they manage that since there's no such thing as a free lunch. If they did something to increase bass, that's going to cost it something somewhere else. I would wait for the inevitable second hand offerings that will show up on head-fi by the ship date and hope to have better impressions by then.

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #173 of 1,473
Just a thought, if Sennheiser indeed sold their CE division and the new owner trimmed the headphone business, would the first batch be the last batch?

I already own HD800s, really like its sound. I don't use EQ (have bunch of MQA FLACs and don't know how to get them digitally EQ'ed), HD8xx seems a nice upgrade, so I just pulled trigger.

As for the cable, I'm not a big fan of the balanced cable came with HD800s anyways, and use Hart Audio's 4.5ft one with their interconnect system, it costs $85.

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #174 of 1,473
Just a thought, if Sennheiser indeed sold their CE division and the new owner trimmed the headphone business, would the first batch be the last batch?

I already own HD800s, really like its sound. I don't use EQ (have bunch of MQA FLACs and don't know how to get them digitally EQ'ed), HD8xx seems a nice upgrade, so I just pulled trigger.

As for the cable, I'm not a big fan of the balanced cable came with HD800s anyways, and use Hart Audio's 4.5ft one with their interconnect system, it costs $85.

Probably not. The vast majority of the cost that goes into headphones is the R&D. The actual material cost is small once you have the headphone and factory arrangements. Any potential buyer will probably continue production on them as the profit margin is large. Luckily with the HD8xx you don't have to be too worried since their 2yr warranty is through Drop and Sennheiser won't service them at any time.

Also just because a headphone is "newer" doesn't necessarily mean that it's better. Many people prefer the HD800 to the HD800s. Either way we won't know until good reviewers have their hands on them.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #175 of 1,473
Many people prefer the HD800 to the HD800s
tenor (2).gif

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #176 of 1,473
It's called suppression of free speech and it will soon be a very real thing. Unless of course "they" happen to agree with you.

What I don't like is that this newest Drop warranty thing reeks of "We can sell these suckers anything, they will jump at it regardless". It's like it's built in now. I'm seeing a lot of this of late, a lack of respect for buyers and those who've been enjoying the hobby for a long time.

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #177 of 1,473
It's called suppression of free speech and it will soon be a very real thing. Unless of course "they" happen to agree with you.

What I don't like is that this newest Drop warranty thing reeks of "We can sell these suckers anything, they will jump at it regardless". It's like it's built in now. I'm seeing a lot of this of late, a lack of respect for buyers and those who've been enjoying the hobby for a long time.
True story: I walked into a BMW dealership 10 years ago ready to drop cash on a M3. This particular dealership had a "premium" model on the showroom that had a custom interior and flat paint. BMW believed this sort of treatment warranted a $35k markup.

I asked the dealer why they believed $35k extra was warranted. Dealer simply says "because of the flat paint and 2-tone interior." I kindly pointed out what a reasonable asking price would be for that sort of interior treatment with no additional modifications. They couldn't continue to justify the cost and told me to take it or leave it.

I think you know what I chose to do. The "buy it just because" mentality isn't new, but it's never fun seeing it happen within your own hobby

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #179 of 1,473

trust me I hate drop but it's not suppression of free speech, drop can censor whoever they want on their platform, doesn't make them any less of jerks

the market is messed up, what is missing are enterprising individuals coming along and making what drop was intended to be, just vote on crap to buy en masse and do it, the problem is that it really was a bad idea to start, but instead of trying to fix it or make it work they are have turned it into a cash grab, drop will eventually morph into something even more gone and it will likely work since it will just be a new direction of new people whoa re investors with money cashing in on the drop name

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #180 of 1,473
Interesting. Was hoping it would be cheaper to be honest, It collides pretty directly with used HD800 / HD800s that I see floating around. Hell, new HD800S has been as low as 1250 on Amazon in the past, and that's with two day shipping and easy returns.

Will wait to see some reviews as always, HD800S is one of the only open backs I'm still potentially interested in picking up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back