Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Feb 18, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #136 of 1,473
I guess if these have been on your wanted list for a while then it's a no brainer at 200 dollars less, updated tuning, and limited editioned. I don't understand why the sale ends in 29 days when the ship is months out. I'm new to drop, what is the reasoning?

Feb 18, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #137 of 1,473
I guess if these have been on your wanted list for a while then it's a no brainer at 200 dollars less, updated tuning, and limited editioned. I don't understand why the sale ends in 29 days when the ship is months out. I'm new to drop, what is the reasoning?
They get the order in, then Start producing the items and ship them after the whole batch is complete.
Probably the amount pre ordered here directly impacts the production batch size

Feb 18, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #139 of 1,473
I have a shredded up HD800 from almost a decade ago that's falling apart. Instantly put that up on Ebay for and put in an order for a pair. Seems like a good deal for anyone that was in the market for a pair or considering replacing.

The FR charts don't exactly tell us too much and considering the new driver I think ultimately everyone is still in the dark until reviews start arriving. Not too concerned with the possibility of cancelling my order if things have clearly turned south. A lot of mentions of the dip at 1.5k for example seemingly because it looks a little ugly on the chart, the reality is that no one can know exactly how that will change the overall perception of the headphone, especially in context of the the changes to the upper mids and bass.

Feb 18, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #142 of 1,473
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #143 of 1,473
Just to let you guys know.
Our legendary sennheiser is selling its consumer electronics divisiom.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/16/...elling-consumer-headphones-soundbars-business
Thanks for “letting us know” about something that’s been discussed already, and mentioned multiple times in this thread. Also they’re looking at all options such as partners to invest in them, not just selling. Let’s not be Chicken Little here.

With regards to the HD8xx, if it was priced under $1000, impulse buy. As it is, I’ll stick with my HD800S :)

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #144 of 1,473
Thanks for “letting us know” about something that’s been discussed already, and mentioned multiple times in this thread. Also they’re looking at all options such as partners to invest in them, not just selling. Let’s not be Chicken Little here.

With regards to the HD8xx, if it was priced under $1000, impulse buy. As it is, I’ll stick with my HD800S :)

Ironically from the article:

While Sennheiser apparently had record sales in 2019 (€393 million, representing 52 percent of its 2019 sales), it ended up slightly negative after taxes and interest.

So people expect Sennheiser to release these for under 1k when they're already not making profit despite record sales.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #145 of 1,473
Ironically from the article:

So people expect Sennheiser to release these for under 1k when they're already not making profit despite record sales.
Yes.

When you're hurting financially, taking a small loss by reducing unit cost and liquidating your entire inventory of assembled parts is preferred to having to figure out how to sell off unassembled stock after the fact.

Sometimes you have to take a temporary L to stay in the game long term. The CX400BT's price just got slashed in half. Senn is, at least in part, starting the liquidation process.

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #146 of 1,473
Meh, definitely not for me. That Will guy (Chief Product Officer for Drop) finally responded to the question about support after warranty/after warranty repairs with simply: "Nah we don't offer out of warranty repairs."

lol, like totally blasé about it no less. I would've hoped they'd have a gameplan for if/when these fail a couple years down the line but to just be like "nah, that's your problem with your $1100/1200 HP's" and "well...technically Sennheisers don't fail all that often soooo *fingers crossed*!" doesn't really inspire confidence. I know some people can throw $1000+ away on HP's and if they fail they can just chuck them in the trash and buy another...but for most including myself some form of support for a new (ie. unproven) driver design would definitely be appreciated.

Wanted something with a wide soundstage and analytical, guess I'm on the hunt for something else again...maybe I'll check these out when these hit the used market in a couple years (assuming reviews about sound and quality are all positive)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #147 of 1,473
Meh, definitely not for me. That Will guy (Chief Product Officer for Drop) finally responded to the question about support after warranty/after warranty repairs with simply: "Nah we don't offer out of warranty repairs."

lol, like totally blasé about it no less. I would've hoped they'd have a gameplan for if/when these fail a couple years down the line but to just be like "nah, that's your problem with your $1100/1200 HP's" and "well...technically Sennheisers don't fail all that often soooo *fingers crossed*!" doesn't really inspire confidence. I know some people can throw $1000+ away on HP's and if they fail they can just chuck them in the trash and buy another...but for most including myself some form of support for a new (ie. unproven) driver design would definitely be appreciated.

Wanted something with a wide soundstage and analytical, guess I'm on the hunt for something else again...maybe I'll check these out when these hit the used market in a couple years (assuming reviews about sound and quality are all positive)
just get the original HD800 and mod them with the resonator, second hand they are like 500 $ or something

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #148 of 1,473
Yes.

When you're hurting financially, taking a small loss by reducing unit cost and liquidating your entire inventory of assembled parts is preferred to having to figure out how to sell off unassembled stock after the fact.

Sometimes you have to take a temporary L to stay in the game long term. The CX400BT's price just got slashed in half. Senn is, at least in part, starting the liquidation process.
They're probably better off finding a partner for cash injection and firing whoever's in charge of their business development

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #149 of 1,473
November, 2021? Seriously? People interested in this headphone are better off just buying an HD800S now, eq'ing 3K up a bit, and then be able to enjoy it all year.

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #150 of 1,473
They're probably better off finding a partner for cash injection and firing whoever's in charge of their business development
I've thought similar. Getting a young investor in who could spearhead sales in consumer electronics is exactly what they need, especially because I've never seen Sennheiser have a penchant for good advertising.

Sometimes people make great engineers and lousy businessmen. That Verge story sounded to me like they just want to do all the fun stuff again and not have to worry about the stress. If that means their Neumann stuff gets better for it, I'm not opposed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back