Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Feb 18, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #106 of 1,479
No, it's not that bad. It's an enhanced HD800S and a much cheaper price than even the current discounted rates. If you were in the market for an HD800S, this is a good deal.

We don't really know that it's enhanced. Just that it's different (because of no advance reviews). It also doesn't come with the balanced cable that's included in the HD800S and those are not free.

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #107 of 1,479
We don't really know that it's enhanced. Just that it's different (because of no advance reviews). It also doesn't come with the balanced cable that's included in the HD800S and those are not free.
Good points. Another reason to wait for the reviews. Not having a balanced cable is a big issue. Thanks. I really needed more reasons to not buy this product.

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #109 of 1,479
30 minutes in and 200 sold
Womp womp

Kinda figured once they released the Drop Move (that abysmal POS), things were going downhill. Apparently the incline just got steeper.

What are they thinking over there at Drop?

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #111 of 1,479
For those questioning the 2-year warranty on the HD8XX, Will from Drop says:

Drop supports the warranty for 6XX using replacement units and parts from Sennheiser, they don't want to deal with your requests, so we manage it. Same story with all DROP + Sennheiser products, including the 8XX. Replacements via Sennheiser, Customer Engagement via DROP.

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #112 of 1,479

Drop supports the warranty for 6XX using replacement units and parts from Sennheiser, they don't want to deal with your requests, so we manage it. Same story with all DROP + Sennheiser products, including the 8XX. Replacements via Sennheiser, Customer Engagement via DROP.
The same people who wouldn't give me an RMA, even after trying to engage with the company offline and via social media?

"Customer Engagement" might sound fancy and all to them, but they don't have the real-world examples to back them up. Kinda like the Patriot Act was about freedom or ACA was about affordable healthcare. Just because it says something doesn't mean it means the same thing.

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #113 of 1,479
30 minutes in and 200 sold
$1.1k is a tall ask for an impulse buy especially given that we're still in a pandemic. Contrast this to the initial sale of the HD6XX at $199, which crashed Massdrop's server.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #114 of 1,479
Let me get this straight. Drop the fancy box, drop the balanced cable, drop the price, drop the cash and wait for a November shipment. Hell no way! May be a great second hand buy though.

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #115 of 1,479
Let me get this straight. Drop the fancy box, drop the balanced cable, drop the price, drop the cash and wait for a November shipment. Hell no way! May be a great second hand buy though.
IF there are any secondhand pairs that go into the classifieds, I doubt they'll be listed for anything below the original Drop asking price. Just look at how long it took for the price of the THX 789 to adjust back down to sanity levels.

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #116 of 1,479
The Bass adjustment sounds promising, that was my only gripe with the original.
However a blind buy without reviews confirming that it didn't lose quality elsewhere at that price is too much of a risk.

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #117 of 1,479

Yeah, I saw that...but he also conveniently ignored the next response from the guy:
"Thanks for your reply. Then those stories must be untrue. Is this true even after the 2 year warranty? (Given we pay for the repair ourselves of course)"

Key there being the after warranty expires part. If Sennheiser doen't want to deal with it, is there going to be any option to replace a failed driver by Drop? Do they even have technicians? Hell, if it's a hot seller is there going to be an option for exchange while in warranty? Or are you going to have to wait 6-12months each time or just take an L and get a refund instead?

Too many unknowns for me...I kinda wanna take a chance on these, but it just seems too risky to be an early adopter.

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #118 of 1,479
Yeah, I saw that...but he also conveniently ignored the next response from the guy:
"Thanks for your reply. Then those stories must be untrue. Is this true even after the 2 year warranty? (Given we pay for the repair ourselves of course)"

Key there being the after warranty expires part. If Sennheiser doen't want to deal with it, is there going to be any option to replace a failed driver by Drop? Do they even have technicians? Hell, if it's a hot seller is there going to be an option for exchange while in warranty? Or are you going to have to wait 6-12months each time or just take an L and get a refund instead?

Too many unknowns for me...I kinda wanna take a chance on these, but it just seems too risky to be an early adopter.
Yeah considering Sennheiser wants to quit/sell their headphone Department that might be an issue long term

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #119 of 1,479
Yeah considering Sennheiser wants to quit/sell their headphone Department that might be an issue long term
Can we please stop perpetuating this? Seems like people either only read that Verge headline or half the article; either way, you're being misleading.

Sennheiser is considering all options; mergers, acquisitions, selling off a portion of their CE division, or selling off the whole thing. This is a relatively large, employee-focused, international company that has had to figure out navigating COVID along with everybody else. One article about speculating their financial future is not 90% proof that Sennheiser can and will sell off their entire CE division and leave you in the dust.

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #120 of 1,479
IF there are any secondhand pairs that go into the classifieds, I doubt they'll be listed for anything below the original Drop asking price. Just look at how long it took for the price of the THX 789 to adjust back down to sanity levels.
I don't think you can compare the hype machine that was the THX AAA 789 to the HD8XX. IIRC, the first drop of the 789's were not sold out, but once ASR and Zeos started hyping up these as the uber-measuring end game amp not long after, the next three or four drops sold out in less than 30mins (some less than 10 minutes), which created a crazy demand for these amps (see $800 ebay prices). Nope, sorry I don't see the HD8XX being hyped up to any degree that matches the hype of the 789 considering how long the HD800/S has been out, how the HD800S is still being sold ($1.4k right now from Amazon), and the lack of an extremely steep discount.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back