Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
May 3, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #451 of 1,473
What known issues on the HD800S are you meaning? Anyway as I cannot buy from Drop I would rate that as my biggest annoyance with Sennheiser.
That woulb be more fault on the Drop side instead of Sennheiser.

I know everyone would want deal like 6XX, but 650 is like 20 years old.
There's no way a company would discount their current flagship by 50%. lmao

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #452 of 1,473
That woulb be more fault on the Drop side instead of Sennheiser.
Yes that's true, but Sennheiser will have known that Drop is US centric and could have done something on this side of the pond. In fairness I don't think they know what they are doing right now in respect of their HiFi business.

May 3, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #453 of 1,473
Panda was another thing where they went completely off into a tangent that didn't make a lick of sense, even though I think the Mobius just plain sounds better they has DSP and should have done that first instead of waiting a year, but the balanced AMP's not needed and adds very little, the price is way to high when competing with mobius not only considering what it does the Panda does not that you pay for but Audeze paid for licensing actual tech Drop paid for a THX sticker..... it they were a bit more on the ball I would think they release with a mic and target something/someone they released a BT headphone that was already a headphone you could run from your phone(pm-3) and despite being such an old design the price was still high seemingly because it had never gone down leaving the question of was the amping a gimmick with weak amps? Because it didn't even really need near ANY amping.... guessing [X] balanced was a checkbox because they were so cheap.... did they just pick something they could do easily to cash out on the high price of a discontinued product? All this on the backs of crowdfunding like wow

The bottom line is instead of saying
Let's give people what they want or try to truly impress them with something new or an amazing price and make it work so we make money
Everything seems like they are putting cash first and foremost and gimmicking some community meme's or recycling the same old as an afterthought for cash grabs

What drop is doing is really not adding much value for people which is bottom line why we are seeing so many flops. If you do not add value for a customer you don't get $$$$.
It would be interesting to see a collab with AKG with the K371 and THX, and see what results.

May 3, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #454 of 1,473
Yes that's true, but Sennheiser will have known that Drop is US centric and could have done something on this side of the pond. In fairness I don't think they know what they are doing right now in respect of their HiFi business.
That's probably true. The companies are always chasing profit.
I'm wondering if the hi-end headphone market has shrunken so much that there's less incentive to put R&D resource on it.
The way I see it is that there are several ultra high value mid-fi like Hifiman that killed their profit margin.
Since usually the hi-end is the money loser and mid range products are the money cow.

Unlike back the day, you either go for Senn, Beyer, or AKG.

May 3, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #455 of 1,473
That's probably true. The companies are always chasing profit.
I'm wondering if the hi-end headphone market has shrunken so much that there's less incentive to put R&D resource on it.
The way I see it is that there are several ultra high value mid-fi like Hifiman that killed their profit margin.
Since usually the hi-end is the money loser and mid range products are the money cow.

Unlike back the day, you either go for Senn, Beyer, or AKG.
I get that you have to do business to be in business and it is not the Sennheiser charitable foundation. Nonetheless they have a range of good and sometimes excellent headphones but I think they are spread across too many product segments. If they stick with mid fi stuff then they have to sell volume to make money. If they were to go audiophile they could save money and make larger %GP on each item. Depends on what direction they want to take. I guess they could just stop with the Hifi segment and concentrate on the Pro sector.

May 3, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #456 of 1,473
I get that you have to do business to be in business and it is not the Sennheiser charitable foundation. Nonetheless they have a range of good and sometimes excellent headphones but I think they are spread across too many product segments. If they stick with mid fi stuff then they have to sell volume to make money. If they were to go audiophile they could save money and make larger %GP on each item. Depends on what direction they want to take. I guess they could just stop with the Hifi segment and concentrate on the Pro sector.
Yah just some failed push on the new segments, bad management.

May 7, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #460 of 1,473
Sonova Holding AG is based in Switzerland and is a global provider of medical hearing solutions

NO NO NO NO NO NOT LIKE THIS

The sale is subject to regulatory approval and involves the complete transfer of the business by the end of 2021.

Guess they nixed the plan to have someone "help them"

"Permanent cooperation is planned under the joint Sennheiser brand-umbrella to continue offering Sennheiser customers first-class audio solutions in the future"
or maybe not hmmm

edit- down -1 to 919 for the 8XX honestly I was going to say this is bad news for drop if it continues or speeds up, but realistically if many/most of the backers pull out they might be forced to sell at a reasonable price.... image if most/all those 919 people decided to pull out and drop was forced to drop/senn was forced to drop the price to something reasonable... a man can dream, fingers crossed

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #462 of 1,473
If it was like 30 or more people at a time dropping out I would worry, but with the cost, and the length of time until it is shipped out, people are gonna drop here and there. Things pop up where you might need the cash that's tied up with the purchase.
And $1100 is not gonna get as many bites as the $220 HD6XX.
You're acting like it's the Covid death counter on CNN.

May 10, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #463 of 1,473
down 2 sales to 921.... god this is sad to watch
1 like = 1 prayer
It's even more sad to watch someone meticulously counting the stats like that and posting it in a public forum thinking majority share their wishes.

If it won't reach their desired backer numbers, then Drop did poorly in their marketing, plain and simple. If you wanted to get an HD800/S at a more affordable price, there's the Classified ads and you see the HD800S on sale there pretty often.

May 27, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #464 of 1,473
#918! Its a pretty solid deal with the drop points!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back