Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Oct 5, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #1,816 of 2,001
Just some special from our local brewery where they are using some old-fashioned yeast and malt:

"Wittinger Landbier"

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #1,817 of 2,001
Contributing to breast cancer research over the weekend by buying 12 bottles of Russian River Brewing's Framboise for a Cure, their Temptation wild ale (sour blonde initially aged in chardonnay barrels with souring bacteria and wild yeasts) aged additionally on raspberries.  Had a glass on tap, less mouth puckeringly sour compared to last year, but much better raspberry flavor in this batch. 

http://russianriverbrewing.com/brews/framboise-for-a-cure/

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #1,818 of 2,001
I'm going to be visiting Goose Island in Chicago this weekend. I can't wait! I am really hoping I finally get to try some of their Bourbon County, I have never been able to find it anywhere around here and it has been near the top of my "Must Have" list for a while.

Hopefully it lives up to my expectations....

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #1,819 of 2,001
Quote:
My all-time favorite beer is Brahma Black, but unfortunately I can't find it anywhere outside of Brazil.

Hey i did not knew about this beer before,In normal supermarket around here i never found this one!
biggrin.gif

in Which Brazilian city did you found this black edition?Sorry about all those question and exclamation points.

By the way few weeks ago the biggest university here made a researc upon the most popular beers in Brazil and found out that most of them were using non-malted cereals highly above the limit permitted,Corn,Rice etc (which is not really so bad considering many breweries around the world use this ingredients).

Not a surprice thought ,most of Brazilian beers are watery with almost no tastes,but the worst is that this justification comes from bigger greedy breweries who say they want to make "Drinkable" and light beers due to our tropical environment instead of the cruel truth,which is obviously because they want increase benefits by using cheap ingredients and induce citized to drink more in terms of quantity.
Fortunately in the last years more and more people in Brazil are starting to have a real education about drink less and better ,consequently having an nice expantion of more micro brewery who respect the German Law of Purity of 1516 and make a little more expensive but more tasteful and authentic beers.Me personally since few years ago i started to drink better and less along my collegues of work;i am having 15 days of holidays in the second half of november ,so since few months ago i am going every saturday in supermarkets and buy a pair of great beers,so until then i will have to enjoy a great collection of Belgian Dutch and German beers along my new HD650.Hopefully i will take some picture and post them here to see your opinions about those beers i am collecting.
Cheers!

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #1,824 of 2,001
Just ended up finishing the entire 6 pack of Alpha King (by 3 Floyds) before I remembered to snap a picture :frowning2:  Spectacular stuff, an excellent session pale ale

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #1,825 of 2,001
I had a 3 Floyds Robert the Bruce when I was Chicago and really enjoyed it. It made me wish it was easier to find their brews in my neck of the woods.

My girlfriend got me a four pack of Founder's Backwoods person this week. What a great beer! Dark, oaky, and very strong. One of the best sipping beers I've had in a while. Makes me even sadder that the KBS is all but impossible to get. Hopefully with their ramped up production next year it will be easier to find. For now I will have to make do with the person, my Breakfast Stouts, and the bottle of Curmudgeon's Better Half I have aging.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #1,828 of 2,001
I had some of the Leine Snowdrift Vanilla Porter. Its an enjoyable beer, easy to drink with some flavor. I just got a pack of the Goose Island Christmas beer, very enjoyable. A hint of cherries with great taste.

I also finally was able to try a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout last week. Let me just say it was worth the wait (and $10 for the bottle that I paid). Easily in my top three beers: sweet (vanilla/bourbon), with a little bit of bourbon fire, and still with the original taste of the stout. Definitely something I need to find a 4 pack/case of. I just wish it was easier to find on the east coast, even if Inbev/Goose Island ramped up production to 5x what it was in the past this year. If you see this, try it otherwise you are missing out.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #1,829 of 2,001
Quote:
I had some of the Leine Snowdrift Vanilla Porter. Its an enjoyable beer, easy to drink with some flavor. I just got a pack of the Goose Island Christmas beer, very enjoyable. A hint of cherries with great taste.

I also finally was able to try a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout last week. Let me just say it was worth the wait (and $10 for the bottle that I paid). Easily in my top three beers: sweet (vanilla/bourbon), with a little bit of bourbon fire, and still with the original taste of the stout. Definitely something I need to find a 4 pack/case of. I just wish it was easier to find on the east coast, even if Inbev/Goose Island ramped up production to 5x what it was in the past this year. If you see this, try it otherwise you are missing out.

Yeah, Bourbon County Brand Stout is good stuff, and good to hear that AB/InBev hasn't caused GI to lower its quality standard, so far.  Last time we saw BCBS out here in California was back in 2010.  Hoping the second 2012 batch makes it out here in Dec, but reports are not promising.  I still have a few 2008, 2010, and 2011 bottles of BCBS saved from when I was able to get them. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,830 of 2,001
I had previously never seen them before. I actually picked it up at a bar. I was even at Goose Island last month at the brewpub in Clyborne and was laughed at when I asked if they had any. Hopefully it will get easier to find. That and Founders KBS have been my unicorns so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back