Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Dec 11, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #616 of 2,001
Quote:

The IPA is really boring.

I go for dogfish head 90 minute for more a interesting IPA. 120 minute if I'm really feeling frisky.

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #617 of 2,001
here's my take on dogfish's ipa's:

60 min - water compared to the other two. Really quite unimpressive as IPA's go.

90 min - tastes more malty than hoppy. For me this is very dissapointing for an ipa. Am I off base expecting an IPA to be hoppy? I think some people who like strongly flavored beer who aren't hopheads will really enjoy this once tho. On that note, I believe that people who enjoy this beer will also enjoy the incredible maltiness of Sam Adam's double bock. Insanely malty, sweet and full of alcohol. If you like REAL maple syrup on your pancakes, you'll love this one. ; )

120 min - sort of feels to me like a brute force ipa (does that make sense?). Lots of malt, lots of alcoholic content, but as most beers in this category... the flavors are more overpowering than balanced. Certainly worth trying, as most beers on the extreme end of the scale are... but again not really worth visiting more than occasionally imo.

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #618 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by chobint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here's my take on dogfish's ipa's:

60 min - water compared to the other two. Really quite unimpressive as IPA's go.

90 min - tastes more malty than hoppy. For me this is very dissapointing for an ipa. Am I off base expecting an IPA to be hoppy? I think some people who like strongly flavored beer who aren't hopheads will really enjoy this once tho. On that note, I believe that people who enjoy this beer will also enjoy the incredible maltiness of Sam Adam's double bock. Insanely malty, sweet and full of alcohol. If you like REAL maple syrup on your pancakes, you'll love this one. ; )

120 min - sort of feels to me like a brute force ipa (does that make sense?). Lots of malt, lots of alcoholic content, but as most beers in this category... the flavors are more overpowering than balanced. Certainly worth trying, as most beers on the extreme end of the scale are... but again not really worth visiting more than occasionally imo.

Live, thread, live!

It seems like a lot of brewers don't exactly believe in a totally dry IPA. Southern Tier's Unearthly IPA is a prime example of a DIPA with a "healthy" malt content. Does it taste good? Certainly, but I like a drier IPA myself like Stone's (too bad they're really expensive). The 90 Minute IPA is certainly very good...I think it has a great hop presence, but it's wetted down with malt. I enjoy it regardless...I think it's one of my favorite DIPA's but something like Stone's Ruination (maybe a "brute force" IPA, but I love it) can easily crush it.

The 60 Minute IPA was a total embarrassment when I bought it. I'd rather drink Southern Tier IPA, or pretty much anything... it just didn't taste good.

Truth be told, I don't really mind the brute force approach. I say, the stronger the better. Hops cost money and when a brewer builds an impressive hop smell and taste, it lets me know I'm getting my money's worth.

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #619 of 2,001
I'm glad to read these opinions of the 60 Minute IPA. I had tried it a little while back and was thoroughly disappointed considering all the praise it gets elsewhere. I couldn't believe how malty it was and its lack of bitterness. Just nothing special at all and ranks as one of the worst IPAs I've ever had. My experience with that doesn't exactly make me want to try any other Dogfish Head IPAs. Considering the price they command and my disappointment with the cheapest of them (which was not cheap at all), I likely never will.

Dec 25, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #620 of 2,001
I just don't know what went wrong with the 60 minute. I was at a bar ordering a 90 minute (they sold bottles of it) and they told me they had 60 minute on tap and I said "No, I'd rather have the 90 minute" and some people and the bartender looked at me like I had six heads. I do not understand that at all... the 90 minute is a completely different brew and far superior in every respect to the 60 minute. The 60 minute 6-pack I (mostly) had (gave two away) was only brewed about two or three months before I drank it, so I know it was fresh, and yet it still tasted like natty light with hop flavor added.

Dec 25, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #621 of 2,001
To celebrate Christmas adequately, i needed something good to drink
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #622 of 2,001
I just found myself cracking the seal on this one ...

2:26am houston texas time.

harpoon!.jpg

Nice ale.

k701smile.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #623 of 2,001
currently my 3 favorite mass-produced beers are Stone Ruination IPA, Stone Ignorant person Ale, and Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA... still waiting to try the Double person Ale. Best Pale Ale in a Can Award goes to Dale's Pale Ale, although it might be the ONLY one to exist. It's great for weekend music festivals where glass isn't allowed.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #624 of 2,001
I did a Road Trip to Oregon and back about two weeks ago. Stopped by the Deschutes Brewpub in Portland and tried The Abyss on tap - heavenly. And convieniently, they still had a small stock of bottles left, so these are going in storage to age a bit:

theabyss.jpg

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #625 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
currently my 3 favorite mass-produced beers are Stone Ruination IPA, Stone Ignorant person Ale, and Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA... still waiting to try the Double person Ale. Best Pale Ale in a Can Award goes to Dale's Pale Ale, although it might be the ONLY one to exist. It's great for weekend music festivals where glass isn't allowed.

Are you talking about Arrogant person Ale or is there an Ignorant variety as well?

Either way, I do love Stone's brews.

beerchug.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #626 of 2,001
Dec 28, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #627 of 2,001
My pastor introduced me last week to a beer which has now taken place among my favorite beers of all time, I believe. It's been a while since a new beer has done that!

Corsendonk Abbey pale ale:

340277182_5bd2ef5d51.jpg

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #628 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Upslope has both a pale ale and an IPA in a can. Their IPA was a bit of a disappointment to me but I haven't tried their pale ale. I don't know how widely distributed they are since they seem to be a brand new company, based in Boulder, CO. Upslope and Oskar Blues are the only craft breweries I know of that have a pale ale in a can at all. Coincidentally, they also happen to be the only craft brewers who only use cans instead of bottles for all their brews.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #630 of 2,001
img8127baltikaporter.jpg

Baltika Porter (7.0% ABV)
- Not much aromatics, very light malts
- Smooth, almost creamy, mild-medium dark malty flavors, very light smoky flavor
- Very easy to drink, no too thick, no too malty, no too strong alcoholy
- I like this alot, will buy it again & recommend it, 8/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back