Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Dec 5, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #601 of 2,001
chobint, check up on some of my other reviews here...or at Joshatdot's Beer Blog

IIRC, there were afew other IPAs that were alot like Ruination...I think one was some organic IPA...woody hop IPA i think...

edit: nope its looks to be "Lagunitas - Hop Stoopid Ale"

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #602 of 2,001
img8026roguekellsirishs.jpg

Rogue - Kells Irish Style Ale (12* PLATO, 28 IBU, 75AA, 9.8* L)
- Ingredients: Great Western Pale, Crystal-15, Wheat & Acidulated Malts; Sterling Hops, Free Range Coastal Waters & Czech Pils Yeast.
[01:19] <@Joshatdot> ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....need to finish me beer review....
[01:20] <@meth[SUN]> Then do it
[01:20] <@Joshatdot> cant decide waht to write
[01:20] <@meth[SUN]> Words that review
[01:20] <@Joshatdot> its beer, irish style lager...done
[01:20] <@nymph> preferribly with your fingers
[01:20] <@Joshatdot> CBA...munted abit

edit: I am not sure if Ive done may Lager reviews...

I think thats why its different to review, its way different. Almost more yeasty tasting, not really malty or grainy or hoppy...but just different.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #603 of 2,001
img8029ninkasitriceraho.jpg

Ninkasi - Tricerahops Double IPA (8.8% ABV)
- Flowery, sweetish hops smell
- Great flowery hop taste, medium bitterness, alil malty too
- Aftertaste is pretty clean, not much bitterness or malty
- ...slight trail of bitter hops at the very end
- This is a great beer, and high % too!
- If you like flowery hoppy beers, with a slightly malty & higher alcohol content, get this!
- 8/10

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #604 of 2,001
img8030scuttlebutt10bel.jpg

Scuttlebutt 10* Below (7.4% ABV)
- Light malty aromatics
- Medium-heavy, but clean malty flavors
- Nice bit of smokey flavors too..maybe a dash of coffee
- This is an awesome Winter brew, just the right amount of malty, smokey flavors
- Medium bodied, but clean feeling, hardly any aftertaste
- Highly recommended 8/10

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #605 of 2,001
I haven't been trying as many different kinds of beers in the past few months but a few have caught my attention.

Dale's Pale Ale was quite a shocker since you don't expect much from something that comes in an aluminum can. Very well-hopped with a nice malt balance. Reminded me a lot of the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale except more highly-hopped and with a higher ABV.

On the other hand, Upslope's IPA was quite a dissapointment. Rather bland overall. The only way it could really justify being called an IPA is because of its 7.2% ABV. Good for being in a can, but Dale's Pale Ale is so much better.

On a slightly different note, I was very pleased to discover a few months ago that the bar right next to my apartment has Stone Arrogant person on tap. During their happy hour it's actually cheaper for me to drink it there than buy a bomber of it at a store. That definitely is easily the best beer I've found on tap anywhere besides a brewpub.

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #606 of 2,001
Nice score on Stone on tap! My local dive bar has Stone IPA on tap
tongue_smile.gif

img8036troispistoles.jpg

Unibroue - Trios Pistoles (9.4% ABV)
- Not much aromatics, hints of fruits
- Light, mebby medium body feel, clean tasting
- Surprisingly mellow, but dark, malty taste
- Fairly clean aftertaste, but light trail of fruit & malts
- I wasn't sure of what to expect from this
- It's different, but not too odd or weird
- I would probably pick it up again, 7/10

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #607 of 2,001
Josh, I can't speak for everyone else, but I personally appreciate the well-thought-out reviews and excellent pictures! I'm going to have to pick up a bomber of that Tricerahops Double IPA... I love DIPA's.

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #608 of 2,001
Joshatdot, I would describe the Park Tavern very much as a dive also. That's a good portion of the neighborhood bars in my area. I have to visit a few more to see what other treasures on tap I can find. For some reason, the nicer the bar, the worse the on-tap beer selection. I just don't understand that
confused_face(1).gif

Just tried Alaskan Winter Ale. Not bad, but can't say I was terribly impressed with it, either. Aroma was floral with some pine notes and sweet, sugary malt. The flavor was very sweet, almost like brown sugar, with some spicy bitterness. Short, bitter finish. Rather soft carbonation. It does have a good ABV. Too bad it still didn't help its rating. On ratebeer.com I gave it a 2.8/5.

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #609 of 2,001
Friends,

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

This is how a glass should look when you're done with it. This is one of the best beers I've ever had. I was literally floored by how smooth this was compared to the regular Arrogant person ale, plus it has a stronger, better flavor. Some of the best malt that I've ever had in a beer. I'd give it a 95/100.

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #610 of 2,001
Picked up a box of this at the grocery store for $14:

wintrymix_sm.jpg

Very sold collection (especially the chocolate stout). Almost all the beers in the mix get an A+ for an inexpensive daily drinker.

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #611 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picked up a box of this at the grocery store for $14:

wintrymix_sm.jpg

Very sold collection (especially the chocolate stout). Almost all the beers in the mix get an A+ for an inexpensive daily drinker.

Harpoon has some really good beers. People bash the UfO, but I think it's quite decent myself. It's not as good as Blue Moon, but it's a whole lot better than Sam Adams's terrible "Coastal Wheat".

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #612 of 2,001
Quote:

Harpoon has some really good beers. People bash the UfO, but I think it's quite decent myself.

I thought the UFO was the worst of the bunch. But the winter warmer, IPA, and Chocolate Stout were amazing.

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #613 of 2,001
The IPA is really boring. If they have it in your area, try Bell's "Two Hearted Ale", Southern Tier IPA, or Stone IPA. Chocolate Stout sounds good. Once I kill my SA 12-pack, I'll get the Harpoon.

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #614 of 2,001
ya, I just had the sam adams sampler a few weeks ago and that coastal wheat was horrendous. I was, however, surprised to find that the blackberry wheat beer was really good, for its category at least.

I also just tried bells two hearted ale and it was certainly good and hoppy, but I don't think the price nearly justifies the taste. Too expensive for me when great lakes burning river is readily available.

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #615 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by chobint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also just tried bells two hearted ale and it was certainly good and hoppy, but I don't think the price nearly justifies the taste. Too expensive for me when great lakes burning river is readily available.

Ironically, me and my group of fellow chem major beer drinkers have heard that this stuff is really good from one of our friends but we can't get it where we are. Two Hearted is easily the best standard IPA we can get our hands on. It's not ridiculous, but it's just extremely well balanced and with an excellent, complex hop aroma and taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back