Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Dec 18, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #781 of 1,494
Got XM3s today and they sound absolutely fantastic.

One thing though I expected to work a bit better is ANC. Mind you I’ve never experienced ANC before and with all the talk around I expected the constant noise to be completely gone as opposed to, sort of, toned down a bit.

is this how it supposed to work? ANC is set to 0 in the app

Dec 18, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #782 of 1,494

One thing though I expected to work a bit better is ANC. Mind you I’ve never experienced ANC before and with all the talk around I expected the constant noise to be completely gone as opposed to, sort of, toned down a bit.

Have you turn on the ambient sound control on (in the app) and turn the slider all the way to the left? (Noise cancelling mode). Or you could just cycle the mode from the left earpiece's button.
There should be an audible difference, especially the low rumble sound. Voices and chatters might not be reduced much, but it would become a bit distant and clearer

I have the WH and the WF, and i prefer the WF in sound and overall usage.
While the ANC is not as strong in the mid freq, it turns out i prefer the WF in most everyday usage because i can still have conversations and the reduced human voices are more natural, compared to the really distant and tinny voice sound of the WH's ANC

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #783 of 1,494

ANC does not create a bubble of silence but rather tones down external noise and it is more effective at lower frequencies and constant rumble like engine noise than voices

Dec 19, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #784 of 1,494
Thanks for replying.

I do get a great seal with inairs tips I got from amazon a few years ago. So noise canceling is working. I guess I expected a bit more from it after reading all sorts of impressions here and on other forums.

To be honest, I don’t see how it’s any useful at all. At least in my use case. I listen to punk most of the time and without ANC once guitars kick in, I don’t hear any outside noise. Whether it’s highway noise or a fan spinning. Even something like Ska with a lot more silent “gaps” in a song, I just don’t hear any outside noise interfering with my listening experience at all.

I’ll be curious to learn someone else’s take on that.​

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #785 of 1,494
Thanks for replying.

I do get a great seal with inairs tips I got from amazon a few years ago. So noise canceling is working. I guess I expected a bit more from it after reading all sorts of impression here and other forums.

To be honest, I don’t see how it’s any useful at all. At least in my use case. I listen to punk most of the time and without ANC once guitars kick in, I don’t hear any outside noise. Whether it’s highway noise or a fan spinning. Even something like Ska with a lot more silent “gaps” in a song, I just don’t hear any outside noise interfering with my listening experience at all.

The benefit of using ANC is reduced outside rumble, which in turn would make less volume needed for us to hear the bass to mid portion of the music clearly. The end result would be to protect the hearing more from louder volume.

Dec 19, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #786 of 1,494
Thanks for replying.

I do get a great seal with inairs tips I got from amazon a few years ago. So noise canceling is working. I guess I expected a bit more from it after reading all sorts of impression here and other forums.

The main advantage for me with ANC is that I can play with lower volume. On a plane, train or bus I would usually go to 70-90 on volume with normal buds but with these Sony ANC buds I rarely go over 50 and often less even in those environments so much better for long term hearing

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #788 of 1,494
Anyone else started getting any random split second audio dropouts? Started for me about a week ago or so, not sure if related to this update or not. Streaming from iPhone 11 Pro Max, which is also connected to Apple Watch 4. I haven't changed anything and it used to work flawlessly. Phone is in my hand or pocket as it happens, so interference or distance shouldn't be it. App is, and always has been, set to quality as priority.
I too have this issue, i have apple watch 4 also. With wifi off (not just off in control centre) the glitch ceases. I have ongoing apple support, they have just installed a profile on my device so i can capture the glitch on the log file and they can review what is going on. I'll check back again with an update.....

Dec 19, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #789 of 1,494
Anybody using Mandarine eartips with their WFs? I'm trying to buy a new set for mine but I don't know if I should go with the Ws or Ns.

I use the Symbio W Peel on my unit. It sticks out a millimeters more than the stock tips, but much more comfortable and just sound a bit better for me.

From what i see, now they only sell one size (the W) but add two adapters choice for smaller bores

Dec 19, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #791 of 1,494
I use the Symbio W Peel on my unit. It sticks out a millimeters more than the stock tips, but much more comfortable and just sound a bit better for me.

From what i see, now they only sell one size (the W) but add two adapters choice for smaller bores
Cool. Going with the Peels. Regular size? I sized down for my older pair of Ws and since these Peels don't have that foam I guessing they're more true-to-size?

I too have this issue, i have apple watch 4 also. With wifi off (not just off in control centre) the glitch ceases. I have ongoing apple support, they have just installed a profile on my device so i can capture the glitch on the log file and they can review what is going on. I'll check back again with an update.....
Same here, I've been getting very frequent dropouts ever since the update that included volume controls, we're talking worse than BT4.2 random kinda dropouts. Unbearable. I've gone back to using my other TWs until this gets fixed.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #792 of 1,494
Cool. Going with the Peels. Regular size? I sized down for my older pair of Ws and since these Peels don't have that foam I guessing they're more true-to-size?

I use L size regularly on all of my eartips, and the same goes to the Symbio Peels. Even with the foamed version i still use zl size, but i feel it's a bit too snug in my ears..not painful though, just weirdly "stuffed" feeling. So i settled with the Peels

Dec 23, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #793 of 1,494
Thanks for the info. Hopefully Apple can get it sorted.

Same here, I've been getting very frequent dropouts ever since the update that included volume controls, we're talking worse than BT4.2 random kinda dropouts. Unbearable. I've gone back to using my other TWs until this gets fixed.
No need. Just turn off WiFi in settings (not control panel) and the problem goes away. Annoying to have to do it, but it does stop the dropouts.

Dec 23, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #794 of 1,494
Thanks for the info. Hopefully Apple can get it sorted.

No need. Just turn off WiFi in settings (not control panel) and the problem goes away. Annoying to have to do it, but it does stop the dropouts.
Strange but with my iPhone XR (using Apple Music) I have zero dropouts.

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #795 of 1,494
it’s a conflict with the new modems in the Pro models. My Pro Max also behaves very poorly on DFS wifi channels. Apple are investigating. IPhone X which I still have works with the XM3 and no dropouts and behaves properly on all wifi channels (Telstra smart gen 2 router)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back