Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Oct 28, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #601 of 1,494
Yes you certainly can - but it's nothing to do with the earbuds - rather, your phone. This can at least be done on Samsungs - I rename all of my paired Bluetooth devices.
Screenshot_20191028-222339_Settings.jpg

Oct 28, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #602 of 1,494
Yeah the fit is THE problem with these, unless you have the "right" ears I suppose. Probably a combo of shape, weight on the outside, like of support against the ear (why no wings !)...You'll see from my previous feedback in this thread that I tried pretty much all tips under the sun and came up short. The CP100 didn't work at all because they make them stick out even more than usual. The CP360 have a recessed tip so that helped a bit but then I didn't get a seal. The consensus is that the Final E tips are those that work best and it was close for me but still not quite there with a seal that often broke...
It’s about the seal. I was disappointed with these at first. I just used the default tips, and though it sounded good. It didn’t sound as good as the hype about these. Then I switched to the large tips. Oh my, what a difference. These definitely live up to the hype for me now, incredible.

That being said, I do listen to them at nearly the highest volume level on my IPhone XS Max. One notch from the highest volume level.

I have the big brothers to the Sony in ear, and get great sound 4 notches below the highest.

Oct 28, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #603 of 1,494
Yes you certainly can - but it's nothing to do with the earbuds - rather, your phone. This can at least be done on Samsungs - I rename all of my paired Bluetooth devices.
I can rename my Bose headphones with the Bose Connect iOS app so I was hoping for something similar. Thanks for the reply.

Oct 29, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #604 of 1,494
I use the standard tips, and get a good seal. Follow the Sony diagram of inserting and swivel up. It does work.

The biggest issue is say over 15-20 mins there is slippage from this position and I have to constantly fidget to maintain the seal. Annoying.

Oct 29, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #605 of 1,494
I use the standard tips, and get a good seal. Follow the Sony diagram of inserting and swivel up. It does work.

The biggest issue is say over 15-20 mins there is slippage from this position and I have to constantly fidget to maintain the seal. Annoying.
The hardest to get with any non-custom made IEM:
download.jpg

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #606 of 1,494
I was an early adopter of the Sony's and did not keep them. While I thought the sound was great I simply could not get a good seal - even though I tried various 3rd party tips - Comply etc. I also had a big problem with comfort and ANC as well - which I did not think worked particularly well.

I just returned from the Apple Store with a pair of the new AirPods Pro
WOW
may I say again
WOW

While all of the early online reviews from the usual websites universally praised these I usually take things with a grain of salt. PowerBeats Pro were well reviewed however I was not impressed - and online customer reviews on Apple's own website do not speak that well of them.

These new AirPods Pro are simply the bomb. Apple has a major major hit on their hands. Sound is dramatically improved over standard AirPods 2, and ANC is extremely impressive. Comfort and seal are excellent as well.

I am impressed. Friday I take a flight and, while I do not expect them to perform like my B&O H9i (I can't stand the Sony XM3 or Bose 35/700 as the ANC is too strong with a pressure effect), I will be curious to see how they do

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #607 of 1,494
Same here as far as the XM3s go, can't wait for my AirPods Pro to come in tomorrow but it seems that once again Apple "did the math" and worked hard on the fit as that's really THE prerequisite. For Sony the fit was clearly an afterthought based on the dozens of complaints.

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #608 of 1,494
I picked up a pair of Apple Airpod Pros today and first impressions are fantastic. I used them on the tube (London's noisy underground train system) and I found the ANC is actually better than what I get on the XM3. The Sony's are very good but for my personal situation where it's just for travelling and outdoor convenience, the Airpods are a keeper as I'm also embedded into the Apple ecosystem. I am going to try and return the Sony's as I bought them less than 14 days ago.

I have also found the Airpod Pros to be more comfortable too and easier to manage. The case itself is so much smaller than the Sony too.

I'll be taking a flight next week so hopefully the ANC will be just as good on an aeroplane as on a train. I've never liked the previous Apple headphone products (including Beats) but these are particularly good for my needs.

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #609 of 1,494
I posted my impressions of the WF-1000MX3s much earlier in the thread - to recap, I had them for about a week and decided to return them. In their case I didn't like the sound with the ANC on as much as with it off (the bass seemed to distort a bit too much for my tastes), but felt they did a pretty decent job of iso with it off. The big issue for me with those was call quality, just not as good as the Airpod G2, which is important for me as I frequently use those for work conference calls.

Just picked up the Airpods Pro. This is a tricky one as I don't have those on hand to compare against, but the sound is pretty similar from what I recall. I think the bass is maybe a bit cleaned up vs. the 1000XM3 with ANC on, but with it off they seem anemic so I'll only be listening to these with it active. On the whole a bit more positive, esp. on the ergo front. Haven't tried call quality but yet but I imagine it should be at least at good as the regular Airpods. They had these available to listen to at the Apple store so if you're at all curious you can try before you buy.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #611 of 1,494
I posted my impressions of the WF-1000MX3s much earlier in the thread - to recap, I had them for about a week and decided to return them. In their case I didn't like the sound with the ANC on as much as with it off (the bass seemed to distort a bit too much for my tastes), but felt they did a pretty decent job of iso with it off. The big issue for me with those was call quality, just not as good as the Airpod G2, which is important for me as I frequently use those for work conference calls.

Just picked up the Airpods Pro. This is a tricky one as I don't have those on hand to compare against, but the sound is pretty similar from what I recall. I think the bass is maybe a bit cleaned up vs. the 1000XM3 with ANC on, but with it off they seem anemic so I'll only be listening to these with it active. On the whole a bit more positive, esp. on the ergo front. Haven't tried call quality but yet but I imagine it should be at least at good as the regular Airpods. They had these available to listen to at the Apple store so if you're at all curious you can try before you buy.
Interesting, it's the first thing I noticed. I think the most noticeable difference so far is the improvement in bass tightness with the airpod pro.

I can't wait for one youtube reviewer to do a mic quality test. He did one with Bose NC 700 with ambient noise added, and the result was impressive.

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #612 of 1,494
20191031_103357357_iOS.jpg

Just got the AirPods Pro today. Quick impressions:
* AirPods Pro has a typical V-shaped sound - slightly boosted bass and treble is raised a bit. The treble can get a bit shrilled depending on the song. It sounds noticeably better with ANC on rather than off, strangely, and soundstage is a bit boxed in. In general it's a good enough signature for a pair of True Wireless Earbuds and is not offensive to my ears, maybe even a bit too much bass for my preference in fact.
However you shouldn't forget that iOS doesn't have a system wide EQ, whereas the WF-1000XM3 does when programmed via the Sony app. If you don't like the sound of the AirPods Pro, you are stuck with it. Whereas if you spend a bit of time EQing the M3, you should get it to sound very close to what you want.
* The touch control on the AirPods Pro absolutely sucks - probably the worst of all TWE I've ever tried. That stem is just not in the right position to be squeezed and there is no tactile feedback, and the only sound that alerts you is a tiny "click". Apple probably expects you to either use Hey Siri or the Apple Watch to control playback.
* Comfort is good - it doesn't require a deep insert so it feels a bit weird when switching from the M3, they are also very light, so you kinda don't even know if they are seated properly or not, actually feels a little weird without the weighty assurance. The eartips are proprietary - if they fit you you are good, if not, you are out of luck as you won't be tip rolling. There's also a metal filter on the eartips, I wonder if removing it will change the sound, but since I don't have any replacements I can't take that risk....
* Features - as expected, full Apple integration will give you the best no fuss pairing experience, just flip the case open and it pairs magically. Video/audio sync is spot on, it even syncs up with games (advantage of having everything in house). If you watch movies and game on your phone, hard to beat this.
* Case - AirPods Pro definitely have the better case - smaller with wireless charging, holds about the same charges etc.

tl;dr AirPod Pros or M3 is going to depend on your usage. For music I think M3 is still better, if you use a bit of everything on your phone and you are an iPhone user, then the AirPods Pro is worth a look, but you have to watch out for the trappings like no EQ and no tip rolling.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #613 of 1,494
Just got mine too and other than the slightly shrilled treble indeed they are superior to the WF-1000xm3 in everything else. Fit, comfort, size, mics, controls (zero problems here with the stem control), weight, ANC (tested with a "cabin noise" video played at full volume on my speakers), transparency mode. One slight niggle is that in Android you can't toggle between Ambient/Off/ANC like on the Sony, it can be done in iOS though.

As for SQ, yes the treble can be a bit shrill but the soundstage and imaging is better to my ears. I'm also not a big fan of the Sony's recessed mids and highs.

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #614 of 1,494
Again if you don't like how the M3 sounds out of the box - use the EQ presets, they are there for a reason.

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #615 of 1,494
Had done that obviously but that only goes so far. That was not my main problem with the XM3s though, that would have been the terrible fit like so many others here and elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back