Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Feb 2, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #3,196 of 4,305
Most definitely a new Walkman as a successor to the WM1 series. You can see the teaser picture that every Signature Series product is present except for the WM1 Walkmans.

Feb 2, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #3,197 of 4,305
DMP-Z1 owners, what do you think about the idea of an Android-based DMP? I disliked Android-based DAP mainly because of battery life but then the DMP is much bigger so I don't know.

Feb 2, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #3,198 of 4,305
Thanks. I’m missing it a lot, but I was having a conversation with my brother last night, telling him the parts that have gone wrong & him explaining how components get warm inside & I think I need to reduce my daily usage a bit. Averaging 8 - 13 hours a day, is probably why the parts have failed ??
Your usage time should be OK, but you could ask the question to Sony. if the issue was temperature related, I think you should have noticed your DMP getting very hot during usage, like hotter than when some batteries get warm during charging? Unless you used to play music in a really hot temperature environment, with the DMP under direct sun light while charging the battery, I think it was just bad luck :)

Feb 2, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #3,199 of 4,305
Thanks. I’m missing it a lot, but I was having a conversation with my brother last night, telling him the parts that have gone wrong & him explaining how components get warm inside & I think I need to reduce my daily usage a bit. Averaging 8 - 13 hours a day, is probably why the parts have failed ??
I highly doubt it has anything to do with your usage, although I don't own the DMP-Z1 Sony products generally run pretty cool compared to some other brands. It is actually scary how hot some amps can run.
They would definitely warn you if there was a risk of overheating from overuse, apart from the general recommendation of not placing it directly on top of another appliance etc.
I know it's different tech but I ran my Walkman 24/7 until I hit the recommended 200hrs leaving it on the charger and it was barely above room temperature.

Feb 2, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #3,200 of 4,305
DMP-Z1 owners, what do you think about the idea of an Android-based DMP? I disliked Android-based DAP mainly because of battery life but then the DMP is much bigger so I don't know.
Apart of battery life, I dislike the additional processing demand of a Android system and the undesirable effects in the noice. But that is something a bit subjective. More objectively, I dislike that future versions of apps may not be supported, which combined with the lack of systems updates (e.g. version update and security patches) may reduce the life of the device.

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #3,201 of 4,305
Your usage time should be OK, but you could ask the question to Sony. if the issue was temperature related, I think you should have noticed your DMP getting very hot during usage, like hotter than when some batteries get warm during charging? Unless you used to play music in a really hot temperature environment, with the DMP under direct sun light while charging the battery, I think it was just bad luck :)

I will ask them in my next correspondence ( & just received further txt / e mail to say it’s taking longer than expected & apologies for that. ) As I’d posted yesterday, if anything, it always felt quite cold to touch, certainly never felt hot. It’s probably as you suggest.
I highly doubt it has anything to do with your usage, although I don't own the DMP-Z1 Sony products generally run pretty cool compared to some other brands. It is actually scary how hot some amps can run.
They would definitely warn you if there was a risk of overheating from overuse, apart from the general recommendation of not placing it directly on top of another appliance etc.
I know it's different tech but I ran my Walkman 24/7 until I hit the recommended 200hrs leaving it on the charger and it was barely above room temperature.

As I’ve said above. I think at this moment in time, I think I’m more anxious about the further delay. I’ll just be happy to get it back. It’s kept away from other appliances, positioned at my side. I treat it like a baby, especially given it’s expense.

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #3,202 of 4,305
Most definitely a new Walkman as a successor to the WM1 series. You can see the teaser picture that every Signature Series product is present except for the WM1 Walkmans.

Without doubt, but I hope Sony are going to take us by surprise with other exciting products……? As we all know, Sony don’t stand still with technology & I would hope, “next level of sound” indicates that ??

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #3,203 of 4,305
Without doubt, but I hope Sony are going to take us by surprise with other exciting products……? As we all know, Sony don’t stand still with technology & I would hope, “next level of sound” indicates that ??

I'd like Sony to try their hands at a top end record player since vinyl is making a come back and that's the piece that's missing in their Signature line up.

Feb 3, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #3,204 of 4,305
I'd like Sony to try their hands at a top end record player since vinyl is making a come back and that's the piece that's missing in their Signature line up.

I’m going to stick my neck out here & say this is going to be a range of new Signature products, not just new Walkman’s. Why put pictures of current products, unless everything was going to be overhauled ? It doesn’t quite add up to me ?? Also, what’s in the image to the left of the picture, if you blow the picture up, there’s something black with dials, or is this just for image purposes??

Feb 3, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #3,205 of 4,305
I’m going to stick my neck out here & say this is going to be a range of new Signature products, not just new Walkman’s. Why put pictures of current products, unless everything was going to be overhauled ? It doesn’t quite add up to me ?? Also, what’s in the image to the left of the picture, if you blow the picture up, there’s something black with dials, or is this just for image purposes??

What doesn't add up is why put pictures of all signature series items except the 1A/Z Walkman players? This, combined with the two recent FCC filings, leds me almost certainly to beileve that it has to be about successors to WM1A and WM1Z.

WM1A: ICX-1277
WM1Z: ICX-1278
(DMP-Z1: ICX-1300)

Recent FCC filings were done for:
ICX-1298
ICX-1299

Feb 3, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #3,206 of 4,305
Feb 3, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #3,209 of 4,305
That costs more than the DMP-Z1 😂
Only the RRP. In reality the price has dropped below the DMP-Z1, at least in Japan.

They are very nice near field active speakers, but at that price point like a lot of Signature products makes them extremely niche.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #3,210 of 4,305
I think DMP-Z1 is the true walkman 40 years hommage product and it will be a limited edition prosuct

Users who are viewing this thread

Back