Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Dec 20, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #3,002 of 4,312
Peeps I haven't had the time to do a back to back analysis of the DMP vs the M17 it was just a preliminary one on the output level of both units I will do after I'm back from my trip end of this week.

However last night I was only listening to the M17 with both my headphones (I only have 2) Rai Penta and Z1R. The Z1R really sounds much like a different pair of headphones on the M17 vs the DMP, bass is cleaner not deeper, treble is slightly more forward and the overall sound signature is more on the neutral side than when it's paired with the DMP-Z1

I am actually quite surprised the M17 has really changed the sound signature of the Z1R to a more accurate and relaxed at the same time rather than just a relaxed golden sound with the DMP.

I think the pairing of the 2 is really good and almost believe the DMP is not a good match for the Z1R. I also felt the Rai Penta sounds much better on the DMP than the Fiio M11 Plus and the M17. My head is spinning lol I think DMP needs a different set of Headphones than the Z1R which is what I had from day one. This is an expensive Hobby another headphone in the future 😅

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #3,003 of 4,312
Peeps I haven't had the time to do a back to back analysis of the DMP vs the M17 it was just a preliminary one on the output level of both units I will do after I'm back from my trip end of this week.

However last night I was only listening to the M17 with both my headphones (I only have 2) Rai Penta and Z1R. The Z1R really sounds much like a different pair of headphones on the M17 vs the DMP, bass is cleaner not deeper, treble is slightly more forward and the overall sound signature is more on the neutral side than when it's paired with the DMP-Z1

I am actually quite surprised the M17 has really changed the sound signature of the Z1R to a more accurate and relaxed at the same time rather than just a relaxed golden sound with the DMP.

I think the pairing of the 2 is really good and almost believe the DMP is not a good match for the Z1R. I also felt the Rai Penta sounds much better on the DMP than the Fiio M11 Plus and the M17. My head is spinning lol I think DMP needs a different set of Headphones than the Z1R which is what I had from day one. This is an expensive Hobby another headphone in the future 😅
You mean MDR or IER when you sau Z1R ?

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #3,005 of 4,312
MDR-Z1R I don't have the IER
Curiously i found mu MDR-Z1R most of the times very accurate and reference grade with clean bass, excellent detail retrieval than the IER-Z1R.

My MDR-Z1R is #500-something

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #3,006 of 4,312
Curiously i found mu MDR-Z1R most of the times very accurate and reference grade with clean bass, excellent detail retrieval than the IER-Z1R.

My MDR-Z1R is #500-something
My sn no is 9667. Oh I love the MDR just saying I am really liking it more on the M17 than the DMP and thinking of getting a different headphone to try on the DMP maybe the Meze Liric

Dec 20, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #3,007 of 4,312
However last night I was only listening to the M17 with both my headphones (I only have 2) Rai Penta and Z1R. The Z1R really sounds much like a different pair of headphones on the M17 vs the DMP

I think the pairing of the 2 is really good and almost believe the DMP is not a good match for the Z1R. I also felt the Rai Penta sounds much better on the DMP than the Fiio M11 Plus and the M17. My head is spinning lol I think DMP needs a different set of Headphones than the Z1R which is what I had from day one.

I have a love / hate ( Strong word ! ) relationship with my Sony MDR-Z1R’s. I don’t find them to be a good match with the DMP. I’ve come to the conclusion, that even with the DMP-Z1 you have to find the right match. Don’t get me wrong, nothing sounds bad, but getting the right headphone for your tastes will make the enjoyment & experience so much more rewarding.

Anyway, enjoy your new M17.

Dec 20, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #3,008 of 4,312
100% Agree with @Rob49 about Sony MDR-Z1R paired with DMP. I parted with my MDR back in March 2021 after two years of love relationship and moved with planars. In September I re-purchased the MDRs and returned them the very same day. LOL. To me, it was a waste of DMP paired with MDRs as I couldn't hear the same level of details that Hifiman HE1000V2 were retrieving (highly recommend to try them, if you haven't!. IMHO, MDRs do not let DMP bloom due to its "dark" tonality, lacking openness.

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #3,009 of 4,312
100% Agree with @Rob49 about Sony MDR-Z1R paired with DMP. I parted with my MDR back in March 2021 after two years of love relationship and moved with planars. In September I re-purchased the MDRs and returned them the very same day. LOL. To me, it was a waste of DMP paired with MDRs as I couldn't hear the same level of details that Hifiman HE1000V2 were retrieving (highly recommend to try them, if you haven't!. IMHO, MDRs do not let DMP bloom due to its "dark" tonality, lacking openness.
The M17 paired with the MDR is so good that I am not sure I will be pairing it anymore with the DMP at least it wont be my preferred choice. I will keep the MDR as I got an extremely good deal when I bought the DMP and it sounds fantastic with the M17.

When I free up some funds I am going to be looking into another headphone for the DMP....I prefer closed back never tried planers in my life!

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #3,011 of 4,312

Opposite for me - I haven't found any planars I like on the DMP except the Final Audio D8000 Pro, mostly because it doesn't sound like a planar. I just don't like the sound of planars and if looking for detail retravel the Focal Clear is fine with me or I'll go with a STAX.

Still loving my DMP and MDR pairing though.

Dec 23, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #3,012 of 4,312

Try the HD800s. It is a great combo with DMP.

Dec 24, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #3,014 of 4,312

Users who are viewing this thread

Back