Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Dec 18, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #2,986 of 4,310
So last night I did a brief comparison by plugging the M17 to the AC with the included charger. I set the DMP at 12 o'clock I usually listen to the DMP at the 11 o'clock position max and it's plenty for me with any headphones. I put the M17 at 60 volume level which is half of its 120 level.

There was absolutely zero difference in sound level output between the 2 both seemed equally loud, turning the knob on both units further than that did not make a difference either as both scaled the same in volume for the sake of my hearing I left them at the half way position 60 M17 and 12 o'clock DMP.

Also the DMP was set to Low Output and the M17 was at the highest level which can be activated when it's plugged into the wall and.......there you go specs mean nothing as both were as loud in similar volume position. I did all my listening with the MDR-Z1R I don't know how much of a difference will there be with harder to drive headphones.

The M17 gets quite warm and with the the highest output level activated by plugging it into the AC power the charger is not capable to keep it charging while playing at 60 volume level, the battery level kept falling and it went dead after a few hours as I fell asleep and woke up with the battery dead. The Sony as we know is cool as a cucumber no matter how loud and how many hours or days it's playing.

Sound signature of course they are different is one better than the other can't say and too early and it will boil down to personal taste, but I will do a detailed comparison in a few days. I doubt either will come out a winner but more of a difference in sonic signature like any other audio devices Speakers Amplifiers Cables, Power cords etc.

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,987 of 4,310
Well I’ve reached the 1.000 hours mark ( 2 - 3 hours more really, if not for the two audio calculations, not calculating ! ) after just 4 months & 21 days.

I’ve basically just been letting my DMP play in alphabetical order from “I” onwards & am back to “C” at present - the song, “Revelation” at the 1.000 hour mark was apt & spooky !

I’ve literally ( almost ) listened to my entire music collection. I’ve never done that with any device I own.

Here’s to the next 1.000 hours…..

Attachments

• D30C0F47-35B4-4CAA-A64D-8E97FBBAAACC.jpeg
    D30C0F47-35B4-4CAA-A64D-8E97FBBAAACC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • D6A092F1-732A-483A-A1D8-5381F5F28585.jpeg
    D6A092F1-732A-483A-A1D8-5381F5F28585.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #2,988 of 4,310
Well I’ve reached the 1.000 hours mark ( 2 - 3 hours more really, if not for the two audio calculations, not calculating ! ) after just 4 months & 21 days.

I’ve basically just been letting my DMP play in alphabetical order from “I” onwards & am back to “C” at present - the song, “Revelation” at the 1.000 hour mark was apt & spooky !

I’ve literally ( almost ) listened to my entire music collection. I’ve never done that with any device I own.

Here’s to the next 1.000 hours…..
bro do u have a life 😅 just kidding..

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #2,990 of 4,310
It would seem like you've fallen for marketing buzzwords.

There are no amps that can amplify without any colouration - they don't exists in the real world as there's no perfect "gain wire" and you can't make one no matter how hard you try. There are only technology which minimizes the distortion as much as possible (eg feed forward/feed back loop).

The TAAA chip in the M17 still has a distortion of 0.003% THD, that's colouration.

The only claim you can make is whether that colouration is audible. Many people will argue anything below one decimal point is inaudible to the human ear already, in which case, neither the colouration of the DMP-Z1 or the M17 should be audible in the first place.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #2,992 of 4,310
It would seem like you've fallen for marketing buzzwords.

There are no amps that can amplify without any colouration - they don't exists in the real world as there's no perfect "gain wire" and you can't make one no matter how hard you try. There are only technology which minimizes the distortion as much as possible (eg feed forward/feed back loop).

The TAAA chip in the M17 still has a distortion of 0.003% THD, that's colouration.

The only claim you can make is whether that colouration is audible. Many people will argue anything below one decimal point is inaudible to the human ear already, in which case, neither the colouration of the DMP-Z1 or the M17 should be audible in the first place.
Totally agree my Devialet Expert Pro Dual has probably the lowest distortion level of any amp in the world is it the best sound wise no but is it very good yes. I have had probably 6 Amplifiers in the last 5 years I am thinking of changing the Devialet again this is my second pair just to try another amp. Specs mean nothing all amps have different sound signatures also depends whats a good match for the rest of ur system and my Chromatic Brains, lmao

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #2,993 of 4,310
So last night I did a brief comparison by plugging the M17 to the AC with the included charger. I set the DMP at 12 o'clock I usually listen to the DMP at the 11 o'clock position max and it's plenty for me with any headphones. I put the M17 at 60 volume level which is half of its 120 level.

There was absolutely zero difference in sound level output between the 2 both seemed equally loud, turning the knob on both units further than that did not make a difference either as both scaled the same in volume for the sake of my hearing I left them at the half way position 60 M17 and 12 o'clock DMP.

Also the DMP was set to Low Output and the M17 was at the highest level which can be activated when it's plugged into the wall and.......there you go specs mean nothing as both were as loud in similar volume position. I did all my listening with the MDR-Z1R I don't know how much of a difference will there be with harder to drive headphones.

The M17 gets quite warm and with the the highest output level activated by plugging it into the AC power the charger is not capable to keep it charging while playing at 60 volume level, the battery level kept falling and it went dead after a few hours as I fell asleep and woke up with the battery dead. The Sony as we know is cool as a cucumber no matter how loud and how many hours or days it's playing.

Sound signature of course they are different is one better than the other can't say and too early and it will boil down to personal taste, but I will do a detailed comparison in a few days. I doubt either will come out a winner but more of a difference in sonic signature like any other audio devices Speakers Amplifiers Cables, Power cords etc.
Make pics of both d vices sise by side

Dec 19, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #2,995 of 4,310
@cat3600 thank you for your impressions so far. How are you finding the M17 tonality? Is it similar to DMP?
I haven't been home 24 hours my wife and me are visiting friends and just trying to enjoy our Christmas time off and partying lol. I put the M17 on repeat before I left after Christmas I will do some serious listening once back

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #2,997 of 4,310
What @cat3600 described of the same feeling of colume with the same headphones. Makes sense with fiio’s specs of the two high gain modes at 16-Ohm load the M17 outputs 1500mW just like the DMP.

And DMP may di the same as the M17, headphones that require more current get leas voltage and visceversa , HPs that need more volrage get less current. So like @cat3600 specs / values dont really matter

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #2,998 of 4,310
image.jpg
One of my favorite DSD apbums to tewt I v get you hing. From dynamics to soundstage to bass and detail retrieval

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #3,000 of 4,310

Users who are viewing this thread

Back