Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Aug 11, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #106 of 4,310
This is objectively false if you look at what else is in the DMP-Z1 outside of the DAC/AMP chip that everyone is so fixated on.

What about the completely new FT-caps and OS-cons they co-developed? The new solder formula? New chassis technique? The batteries? Remember all these things plays a critical part in all the Walkmans since the ZX1 thus far and is crucial to improvements in each generation. They admitted their S-Master is currently not up to standard and is working on it, but instead of sitting on their rear it didn't stop them from improving all the other parts in the system which could potentially have a positive effect and testing out those effects in a show-off piece of what they have learned. This whole "boo-hoo it's an AKM DAC chip and TI opamp what nonsense Sony is playing everyone a fool" is objectively unfair to the Walkman team if you look at the whole picture, instead of focusing on a couple of trees in the forest.

They can claim to have co-developing those above. But they already existed

Capacitors are existed. You just need to find them.
Solders are existed (mundorf) is one of those silver-gold solder, and I know people who love it. I, myself, love Silver solder from Oyaide.
Chassis ? My cook top has those glass aluminum finish (perhaps, it is the Seethrough glass finish for aluminum and wood plank that are new)
Kimber wires are existed
Batteries ? Every DIY people, or every engineers, simply knows that Battery can be a good power source. However, a properly designed Linear Power Supply with good components can’t be beat

Ofcourse, everything play a crucial role in the final performances, and the people who is approaching this level of spending money. They are very sensible, let’s just say, before fancy components, do a properly design first. No one care about what they use as (off the shelves DAC) just as long as they disclose Why/what lead them in doing so.

Again, the TT2 from Chord Dave is cheaper, and they are sticking to their own heritage of in house technology. This, is worth supporting for

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #107 of 4,310
Isn't that the point of developing products that they sound good, irrespective of the combination of parts / technologies etc. I totally agree that price on DMP is way out of whack but the exercise may not be. If anything out of this effort leeks into new products down the road for better sound, I am all for it while fully acknowledging that DMP is not something I am remotely interested in (at current prices).
In my opinion, Sony will not sell many units of DMP and the prices will remain high but they will bring something more sensible (pricing / feature wise) which may become a great DAP / DAC / AMP combo..

That is just an excuse. Sony had been, and is known to be a market leading company with innovations and the power to do things that others can not. They are being out done by a smaller company, Chord !

You probably don’t know (because it sound good market). Google Hi-fi man

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #108 of 4,310
I can absolutely go buy one and.......... I figure I’ll be buying the Z1R IEMs.......but I’m currently having a custom table made for the TA amp.

I have no use for the DMP-Z1!

I know this doesn’t sound too audiophile but..... I guess I don’t even care if it sounds 20% better than the TA. I realize it’s a statement product and more like what a race car is to auto manufactures. Just call me blue collar? I’d probably pay $2999 on the used market just to fondle it....lol?

Frankly I don’t care how it sounds. Though that gold bling volume knob is the cat’s meow.

Exactly in same position as you. DMP is not my gig and love my TA as it is now. If a new version

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #109 of 4,310
This is objectively false if you look at what else is in the DMP-Z1 outside of the DAC/AMP chip that everyone is so fixated on.

What about the completely new FT-caps and OS-cons they co-developed? The new solder formula? New chassis technique? The batteries? Remember all these things plays a critical part in all the Walkmans since the ZX1 thus far and is crucial to improvements in each generation. They admitted their S-Master is currently not up to standard and is working on it, but instead of sitting on their rear it didn't stop them from improving all the other parts in the system which could potentially have a positive effect and testing out those effects in a show-off piece of what they have learned. This whole "boo-hoo it's an AKM DAC chip and TI opamp what nonsense Sony is playing everyone a fool" is objectively unfair to the Walkman team if you look at the whole picture, instead of focusing on a couple of trees in the forest.

I understand your point.

But I can never imagine a Rolls Royce flagship car using Toyota's engine.
I also can't imagine a Ferrari flagship car using Toyota's engine.

Nor I can imagine a Patek Philippe flagship watch using Casio mechanism!

It's a shame that a company like SONY who originated Redbook is using other companies' DAC chip for their flagship.
Putting so much effort in other parts do not justify using a generic engine for their flagship.

They should have perfected S-Master first.

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #110 of 4,310
I think Sony will release an app like AK connect to allow for an easier navigation as that screen is simply not large enough to navigate potentially 1 TB of music file (256 GB internal plus two 512 GB microSD).
Back on the unit, I hate the part of myself who is even thinking about placing a deposit on this unit. I have always been a guy into portable audio, I never liked the idea of setting behind my desk, it reminds me too much of work, and as a result even at home I try to stay away from my table, I know this is not a psychology forum!

I actually can see myself using a device like this, but at the current conversion rate, 13000 AUD, I can purchase a second hand chord Dave!

using an iPAD or iPhone app to select the music will be a nice turn-around the "very small" screen. But it will have to use BlueTooth since the Z1 do not have WiFi ( and therefore NO Tidal/qobuz streaming :frowning2:((

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #111 of 4,310
I also think that DMP-Z1's design is something very stupid... or something designed by a person who knows nothing about HiFi.
Why are they showing the gold-plated volume?

Is that the most important or critical component in DAC / DAP?

Ferrari car is showing their beautiful engine through a glass cover... because engine is the most important component for a car ... and also something differentiate Ferrari from other generic car companies.
I feel it's very reasonable that Ferrari is proudly showing their engine.

But why a gold-plated volume for DMP-Z1? Because it's the most expensive component? or maybe a gold-plated volume looks good?

I have to say that the designer who designed DMP-Z1 has a very childish design philosophy ... or has no idea how DAC / DAP works.

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #113 of 4,310
I also think that DMP-Z1's design is something very stupid... or something designed by a person who knows nothing about HiFi.
Why are they showing the gold-plated volume?

Is that the most important or critical component in DAC / DAP?

Ferrari car is showing their beautiful engine through a glass cover... because engine is the most important component for a car ... and also something differentiate Ferrari from other generic car companies.
I feel it's very reasonable that Ferrari is proudly showing their engine.

But why a gold-plated volume for DMP-Z1? Because it's the most expensive component? or maybe a gold-plated volume looks good?

I have to say that the designer who designed DMP-Z1 has a very childish design philosophy ... or has no idea how DAC / DAP works.

I’m pretty sure the analog volume knob is a crucial part. You’ll notice Woo Audio has it always as an option to upgrade. Pretty sure it has a dynamic effect on an analog output. The window IS a little toy like. But again Japan has it’s own style. Seeing the windows in Tokyo across the side of buildings which are simply walkway platforms is part of their aesthetic. Tokyo is probably the most beautiful city I have ever seen!

The Japanese like windows into things. At least there are no diamonds sparkling inside that window. At least it does not have a giant 24 karat dollar sign mounted on top. Lol.

We have moved from the stripped down functionality of cold aluminum to rap star jewelry in audio fashion!

But maybe all this has a function and I should eat my words?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #115 of 4,310
Chord DAC's are proudly showing the FPGA with WTA algorithm inside and Pulse Array DAC through a glass rid.
The FPGA and the Pulse Array DAC are the core components of their DAC so I feel the external design is consistent with their product design.

But a gold-plated volume for a DAC!? Give me a break!

Well I’m pretty sure that this look has no concern for the Westen Market. If you were to see the introduction to the release it was shown who their marketing strategy is aimed at. It’s not remotely Head-Fi. If anything we are way down on the list. So trying to judge the equipment look from a Western standpoint is fruitless.

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #116 of 4,310
Well I’m pretty sure that this look has no concern for the Westen Market. If you were to see the introduction to the release it was shown who their marketing strategy is aimed at. It’s not remotely Head-Fi. If anything we are way down on the list. So trying to judge the equipment look from a Western standpoint is fruitless.
I’m a Japanese living in Japan and used to a big fan of SONY but now having difficulty understanding their design philosophy...

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #118 of 4,310
using an iPAD or iPhone app to select the music will be a nice turn-around the "very small" screen. But it will have to use BlueTooth since the Z1 do not have WiFi ( and therefore NO Tidal/qobuz streaming :frowning2:((

Mm..yup an app to remote DMP Z1 would have been a nice feature. Shame.....although with bluetooth streaming and USB, Tidal is still streamable/playable on the DMP Z1. Native playback is still preferable.
——————————

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #119 of 4,310
I’m a Japanese living in Japan and used to a big fan of SONY but now having difficulty understanding their design philosophy...

Oh man, that's how I feel exactly. I have been a Sony fanboy since 1992 and have just about all of their digital audio players starting with the X1060 all the way to the first three signature products as well as the original S-Master Pro amp (now broken) STR-DA9000ES. Hell I still even hold on to my cassette Walkman, Discmen and Minidisc and a freaking "Pocket Vaio". Like you and @Whitigir , I also feel that Sony has lost their way in term of the design philosophy. I get it that they want to bling out their product by using the RK50, but it such an opportunity loss for them to use off the shelf DAC and even worst....a run-off-the mill OPA headphone circuit. We are not even talking about an op-amp based headphones module with a discrete buffer here people. I think the only thing I found interesting about the DMP-Z1 is the independence batteries to power both analog and digital boards. Perhaps they want to be like Linnn products....nothing but integrated circuits and charge way premium for it. I'm a passionated Sony fanboy and they are heading in the wrong direction here with the Z1.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #120 of 4,310
Mm...silly to condemn the Z1 without hearing it first. Give it a proper audition with the best headphones you guys have (or what is available) and then pass judgment. First rule of this hobby.

Who cares what goes into it? The only thing that matters is what it can do to your headfi listening experience and enjoyment. Can it deliver?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back