Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Oct 13, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #2,131 of 4,311
How does the DMP-Z1 perform with two almost-full 1TB micro SD cards?

Any slow downs?
How many songs can it index?

Oct 17, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #2,133 of 4,311
After a long wait, the HDPLEX300W LPSU has finally arrived! I can’t wait for my listening session tonight. Over 20 lbs!

73414A70-941E-4D7F-822F-493071046FA5.jpeg

Oct 19, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #2,136 of 4,311
Lately I've been thinking that the DMP-Z1 could have also looked great in white chassis with grey/silver volume pot

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #2,137 of 4,311
Lately I've been thinking that the DMP-Z1 could have also looked great in white chassis with grey/silver volume pot
That would make it look too cheap. You gotta go and see them silver with grey vol pot amp or DAC, vs DMP next to it in person. Picture never done it justices

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #2,139 of 4,311
Oct 19, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #2,140 of 4,311
That would kill the look entirely. No way

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #2,141 of 4,311
Neither, but I can offer the following.
You're likely aware that the Phi is the immediate kin to the über fidelity 1266 whilst the V2 is quite specifically voiced to be more forgiving and thus suit less than premium amplification/sources.

DMP-Z1 is most certainly in the upper echelon of premium amplification/sources and effortlessly drives the Phi especially in high gain mode, with absolutely no traces of hardness, strain or sibilant edge whilst simultaneously delivering an iron fist in velvet glove bottom end...

I first ventured into the ABYSS with the Diana V1 and DMP-Z1, the breadth and depth of delivery was far beyond my expectations and almost verged on disbelief at times, such was the intensely satisfying involvement of music with which I was extremely familiar having either recorded, produced and/or mixed.

The Phi simply upped the ante and multiplied the returns...what makes this pair totally bananas is that together they make essentially no concessions to a complete end-game audio system AND can move with you wherever you need to be** :beerchug:

**For the extra added funk-tionality, I still gotta get me a Van Nuys though !
I took your advice mate, got a Diana Phi on the way :D can’t wait to hear this combo for myself!

Oct 19, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #2,142 of 4,311
I don't think that colour scheme would match the rest of the signature series lineup. Interesting though
I thought white glossy/glass-like. See the pioneer XDP-30R in white and picture that in a DMP-Z1

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #2,143 of 4,311
I took your advice mate, got a Diana Phi on the way :D can’t wait to hear this combo for myself!
You're obviously a man of exquisite tastes! :beerchug:

The the truth is that we all have very different tastes, but I do hope you find the pairing as ridiculously enjoyable as I.

One thing is certain, they take quite a few dozen hours to come fully on song.. Joe at Abyss told me to give them a good and proper thrashing (not exactly his words, but much to that effect!!) before the diaphragms get into stride and they sound their best.

I gotta say that he was on point too, I most certainly noticed overall improvements and greater bass presence with depth charge like dymanics... If and when called upon!

IMHO the pairing is truly reference class, as in ne plus ultra Mastering Grade:musical_score:

Oct 20, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #2,144 of 4,311
You're obviously a man of exquisite tastes! :beerchug:

The the truth is that we all have very different tastes, but I do hope you find the pairing as ridiculously enjoyable as I.

One thing is certain, they take quite a few dozen hours to come fully on song.. Joe at Abyss told me to give them a good and proper thrashing (not exactly his words, but much to that effect!!) before the diaphragms get into stride and they sound their best.

I gotta say that he was on point too, I most certainly noticed overall improvements and greater bass presence with depth charge like dymanics... If and when called upon!

IMHO the pairing is truly reference class, as in ne plus ultra Mastering Grade:musical_score:

Noted and thank you for the advice :) I bought a used pair that are approximately 6 months old, so I am hoping that they are somewhat broken in already, however I will give them my own run in to make sure!

Unfortunately the stock cable that’s coming with my Phi is terminated in XLR, so I’ve bought a Woo Audio XLR4 to 4.4mm adapter. But eventually I’d like to replace the cable with either another stock one with 4.4mm termination, or a superconductor :wink:

Nov 5, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #2,145 of 4,311
@coolhand well, you were right my friend. The Diana Phi sounds incredible with the DMP-Z1 :)

The headphones arrived earlier today and I only had access to an A&K Kann Alpha for the first hour or two of listening. My initial impression of the headphone was a little underwhelming as I felt they sound rather thin and lifeless. But once I switched from the Kann Alpha to the DMP, it was like listening to a completely different headphone. Incredible note weight, detail, bass, vocals, treble, the works!

I’m surprised how well the DMP drives the Diana Phi. I’ve got the volume knob at about 11 o’clock in high gain and that’s pushing my limit to how loud I can listen.

I’ll share more impressions in the coming days, but just wanted to say a big thank you for your recommendation :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back