Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Oct 5, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #2,116 of 4,312
Wow! Alright, definitely need to audition the Diana Phi :) thanks again! is the superconductor cable a must in your opinion? It's not exactly a cheap cable lol...
Focal Clear. I found them to be better than the Utopia. Plenty of kick, but everything comes together buttery smooth. Best open backs in the market in my view and not so expensive.

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #2,119 of 4,312
If you have an opportunity to audition the Diana Phi be warned, you may shortly thereafter find that your bank balance has decreased accordingly... so plan ahead :wink:

As far as the Superconductor being a must, no, your heart & brain are musts..... a kidney you could sacrifice though !

On the serious side of audio-insanity however, I can only speak on behalf of myself and in my case what was a must was a much longer cable... and ideally one which could directly access the DMP-Z1's Pentaconn to benefit from that balanced connection and the enhanced power output.

Comparing the supplied stock cable to the Superconductor doesn't reveal the supplied cable to be obviously deficient in any specific area, conversely it shows the $$$ cable does indeed enhance the overall delivery presenting an even bigger picture in all respects of sonic presentation. BUT... take that with a grain of salt as this may also be a result of the fact that the Superconductor is utilising the Pentaconn's balanced output circuitry.

Being fully aware of the above consideration I made an elaborate series of premium grade adaptors so that I could also use both of the ABYSS cables completely separate from the headphones in various combinations.
Used purely as line level interconnects in various configurations within my audio system/s, as well as allowing them to be connected (almost) directly to my power amplifiers, enabled me to establish how they intrinsically sounded, the adaptors also gave me the flexibility to drive the Diana Phi from various power amplifier outputs, using the terminals which are typically for connecting to loudspeakers.

When used as interconnects in this manner the differences were easier to ascertain as both cables could be fed from the same output source and directly compared, which interestingly enough showed a much larger margin between their individual sonic deliveries.
In this scenario the Superconductor proved to be significantly more complete and fulsome sounding, carry more weight and tone without losing the extended definition of the stock cable.

On another relevant note, and without intending to derail this into a Diana Phi focussed thread.....

My experiments with driving Diana Phi directly from numerous types of rather exotic and high fidelity power amplifiers (50w p/ch. push-pull & 8w p/ch. single ended tube), 15w p.ch. & 40w p/ch. Class A solid state) were equally educational, in comparison to them being driven solely from the DMP-Z1's outputs.
One would perhaps expect that grunty amplifiers with upwards of 33 times more raw output (not withstanding the Diana Phi's 32 ohm load impedance being presented to them) would walk right over the DMP-Z1, at least in certain respects where high peak current is demanded as in the case of electronica with prodigious and extended low frequency bass etc....

However this was not entirely the case at all, and certainly not in all instances.

The DMP-Z1 in high gain mode acquits itself extraordinarily well, presenting masses of information which extends to the extremes of audibility without curtailing or foreshortening perspective, and with a beautifully fine grained sonic rendering (think Kodachrome 64 if you've ever shot film in a camera !).

What I found it to lack ever so slightly, and to be honest I am a proper task master when it comes to bass..!.. was quite surprisingly most apparent when driving the Diana Phi from my fully customed Silbatone Reference 300 amp running NOS Western Electric 300B's which is an other-worldly tube amp, quite unlike any others of it's ilk.
It was the only amp at my disposal which fully maintained the entirely grainless, expansive sonic texture and absolutely deep blackness of the DMP-Z1's presentation, whilst adding in a healthy dose of DMT psychedelia ethereal gravitas & enhanced bass power plus spacial detailing.

Each of the other amps I tried were notable in their various commissioning of sonic elements, which ultimately detracted from the finely balanced completeness and zen-like presentation of the DMP-Z1.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #2,121 of 4,312
To be sure to be sure, everybody needs at least one pair of Sennheisers (I have 4 pairs !).... but IMHO the 800S are plainly lacking in sonic terms, my money's waiting on the Senn 888
The 800S Anniversary is different than the regular 800S. IMO, it has different and improved build with tweaks here and there, and it also sound like an matured/upgraded 800S when A/B

I would love to have S888 or whatever S999 lol

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #2,122 of 4,312
You can use the AC preferred mode to have the DMP-Z1 be driven directly by the PSU instead of batteries preferred mode, which is basically using the PSU as a chargers and the battery is supplying the power sources

This is the adapters that I bought from amazon. It has others as a package as well
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797KK3NT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
“...the battery is supplying the power sources”, does it mean the PSU keep on charging the battery?

Oct 5, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #2,123 of 4,312
“...the battery is supplying the power sources”, does it mean the PSU keep on charging the battery?
There are 2 modes. In the battery preferred mode, the PSU is charging the batteries. This mode is recommended to use with stock power supplies as it was designed for the player

Using External power supply, I recommend AC preferred mode

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #2,124 of 4,312
I had a concerning moment with my DMP just the other day. Had it connected via unbalanced 3.5mm to rca going into my Luxman amplifier. Using high gain with the volume knob at the 12 mark. After about 2 hours of listening, I paused the music then the player froze for about 1 minute. The screen went black and it showed the Sony splash screen. Suggesting it restarted.

Sounds like it had overheated but the player was only slightly warm to the touch. I've been running low gain since as I don't want to recreate the moment.

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #2,125 of 4,312
I had a concerning moment with my DMP just the other day. Had it connected via unbalanced 3.5mm to rca going into my Luxman amplifier. Using high gain with the volume knob at the 12 mark. After about 2 hours of listening, I paused the music then the player froze for about 1 minute. The screen went black and it showed the Sony splash screen. Suggesting it restarted.

Sounds like it had overheated but the player was only slightly warm to the touch. I've been running low gain since as I don't want to recreate the moment.

Sony Walkman OS players shouldn't restart because of overheating. It most probably just froze from something firmware related and then restarted, that's what they usually do when something like that happens. I wouldn't worry about it.

The best you can do to make sure you can prevent this would be to do a factory reset. But I wouldn't think about that unless this becomes a regular occurrence.

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #2,126 of 4,312
Sony Walkman OS players shouldn't restart because of overheating. It most probably just froze from something firmware related and then restarted, that's what they usually do when something like that happens. I wouldn't worry about it.

The best you can do to make sure you can prevent this would be to do a factory reset. But I wouldn't think about that unless this becomes a regular occurrence.
That sounds more likely. Makes me think when we'll see another firmware update.

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #2,127 of 4,312
That sounds more likely. Makes me think when we'll see another firmware update.

It should arrive by the end of the year, if they still intend on releasing firmware updates. Or maybe a bit into the beginning of the next year, as the virus situation delayed lots of things in general.

Oct 11, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #2,128 of 4,312
Neither, but I can offer the following.
You're likely aware that the Phi is the immediate kin to the über fidelity 1266 whilst the V2 is quite specifically voiced to be more forgiving and thus suit less than premium amplification/sources.

DMP-Z1 is most certainly in the upper echelon of premium amplification/sources and effortlessly drives the Phi especially in high gain mode, with absolutely no traces of hardness, strain or sibilant edge whilst simultaneously delivering an iron fist in velvet glove bottom end...

I first ventured into the ABYSS with the Diana V1 and DMP-Z1, the breadth and depth of delivery was far beyond my expectations and almost verged on disbelief at times, such was the intensely satisfying involvement of music with which I was extremely familiar having either recorded, produced and/or mixed.

The Phi simply upped the ante and multiplied the returns...what makes this pair totally bananas is that together they make essentially no concessions to a complete end-game audio system AND can move with you wherever you need to be** :beerchug:

**For the extra added funk-tionality, I still gotta get me a Van Nuys though !
Thanks for sharing, I have been seriously considering DMP Z1 but was wary about its driving power and compatibility with hard to drive headphones. (compared with desktop amp). This is reassuring.

Oct 11, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #2,129 of 4,312
Thanks for sharing, I have been seriously considering DMP Z1 but was wary about its driving power and compatibility with hard to drive headphones. (compared with desktop amp). This is reassuring.
The TPA headphones amp chips inside the DMP is capable of very high voltage and current delivery. However, the only ways to know if such a large purchase would be justified, is to get to listen to it yourself and on the headphones you prefer. Period.

Nothing would matter, if it doesn’t sound right and satisfy your own preferences after all

Oct 12, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #2,130 of 4,312
The TPA headphones amp chips inside the DMP is capable of very high voltage and current delivery. However, the only ways to know if such a large purchase would be justified, is to get to listen to it yourself and on the headphones you prefer. Period.

Nothing would matter, if it doesn’t sound right and satisfy your own preferences after all
I agree. I have so many things on my wishlist I hope to try first hand. The problem is that I stay in a rather small town with no access to all these high end audiophile stuff locally. I used to have a lot of travelling opportunities but after COVID, this is no longer feasible. Therefore I rely a lot on sharing like this to plan my purchases (which has to be done all online and returning bought merchandise is troublesome).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back