Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Sep 13, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #2,941 of 3,690
Hi guys, just wanna say that I put the recently arrived LCD-X to the test with my Vali 2+ (gold EH6922 tube) to the test, and I absolutely love how the X sounds off it.

The Vali 2+ is just the gift that keeps on giving. :)

I'd choose it over any $100-$150 SS amp any day of the week.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #2,942 of 3,690
Hi guys, just wanna say that I put the recently arrived LCD-X to the test with my Vali 2+ (gold EH6922 tube) to the test, and I absolutely love how the X sounds off it.

The Vali 2+ is just the gift that keeps on giving. :)

I'd choose it over any $100-$150 SS amp any day of the week.
Nice! I’ve had mixed results with the EH tubes depending on the headphones. Often I find them a bit bright. But the Vali 2 / 2+ is such a great little amp!

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #2,943 of 3,690
Nice! I’ve had mixed results with the EH tubes depending on the headphones. Often I find them a bit bright. But the Vali 2 / 2+ is such a great little amp!
Well I got the Gold pin 6922 because I was told they are the warmest/smoothest... I wanted something that contrast a typical neutral SS amp sound.,

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #2,944 of 3,690
I had to send mine back for warranty repair. Has anyone else had to use their warranty repair? They received it last week, but I haven't heard a peep since. Do they reply with updates? Is their repair service normally fairly quick? I suppose with the pandemic part shortages, all bets are off this time around.

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #2,945 of 3,690
I had to send mine back for warranty repair. Has anyone else had to use their warranty repair? They received it last week, but I haven't heard a peep since. Do they reply with updates? Is their repair service normally fairly quick? I suppose with the pandemic part shortages, all bets are off this time around.
In my experience, they reply promptly to emails.

Sep 16, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #2,946 of 3,690
Based on a friend's reccomendation I picked up a some 6h8c tubes from Taobao. Based on the markings they seem to be 1957 Fotons. They were pretty cheap around USD 20 including shipping to Malaysia.

I wasn't expecting much but I was super surprised. These tubes have a really wide sound stage. Separation and vocals are also really good. I'm comparing against the Telefunken E188CC and the HG 6n23p and the Fotons (at least to my ears) sound better than the 2 of them. The Telefunken sound stage is certainly smaller than the Fotons.

On another note I didn't compare other aspects such as details etc but will probably listen more over the next few days.

Here's a link to the store in case anyone is interested.

https://m.tb.cn/h.fbRjfPV?sm=8a2adc

Attachments

• IMG_20210916_153549371-01.jpeg
    IMG_20210916_153549371-01.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Sep 16, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #2,947 of 3,690
Based on a friend's reccomendation I picked up a some 6h8c tubes from Taobao. Based on the markings they seem to be 1957 Fotons. They were pretty cheap around USD 20 including shipping to Malaysia.

I wasn't expecting much but I was super surprised. These tubes have a really wide sound stage. Separation and vocals are also really good. I'm comparing against the Telefunken E188CC and the HG 6n23p and the Fotons (at least to my ears) sound better than the 2 of them. The Telefunken sound stage is certainly smaller than the Fotons.

On another note I didn't compare other aspects such as details etc but will probably listen more over the next few days.

The '50's Fotons are one of my favorite tubes. Bettered in some respects by other tubes, but unfailingly musical and always seem to get my toe tapping.

Fellow Head-Fi'er @Deyan makes a very nice 1-piece adapter. Below is for a 7N7, but I imagine he can do the same with a 6SN7 socket.

Vali and Frank.jpg

Sep 16, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #2,948 of 3,690

I get an error going to that link. Have you got the full URL?

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #2,950 of 3,690
PSA:

Absolutely do not leave your headphones plugged in when you turn the Vali 2+ on. In fact, I wouldn't even plug them in for several minutes.

My new Vali 2+ developed a static scratch sound when adjusting the volume. Schiit wanted me to send it in and they replaced the volume pot. However, the problem still remained in my repaired unit. So, since DC on the pot can cause a scratchy sound, I tested my Vali 2+ quite extensively.

Upon turn on, and even after the mute relay has disengaged, the Vali 2+ throws over 3 v (not 3 mV, but 3 whole volts) of DC offset regardless of tube used. It takes about 10 minutes to get the DC offset under 2 mV. Since my Vali 2+ was serviced and tested, I am to assume mine isn't defective and this is how the circuit works.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #2,951 of 3,690
PSA:

Absolutely do not leave your headphones plugged in when you turn the Vali 2+ on. In fact, I wouldn't even plug them in for several minutes.

My new Vali 2+ developed a static scratch sound when adjusting the volume. Schiit wanted me to send it in and they replaced the volume pot. However, the problem still remained in my repaired unit. So, since DC on the pot can cause a scratchy sound, I tested my Vali 2+ quite extensively.

Upon turn on, and even after the mute relay has disengaged, the Vali 2+ throws over 3 v (not 3 mV, but 3 whole volts) of DC offset regardless of tube used. It takes about 10 minutes to get the DC offset under 2 mV. Since my Vali 2+ was serviced and tested, I am to assume mine isn't defective and this is how the circuit works.

I haven’t had any problems with my 2+, but curious I measured mine using a Sennheiser cable and a voltmeter to see what I would get. I plugged in the amp to power only (no input connected, volume all the way down to reduce the influence of any static on the inputs). Using the “Canada” stock tube I got with it, I plugged in the cable and put the voltmeter probes on the headphone end and flipped the power switch.

When the muting relay clicked the most I saw on any of the channels (I measured several times power cycling the amp) was between 50-100 mV that dwindled down to zero within seconds. At the longest it was between 2-3 seconds until it was down to 15 mV or so and reduced all the way down to zero (0 mV) in a further 2-3 seconds. Everything was at room temp when I first powered up the amp.

Granted, I don’t know how it is supposed to be, but going by those results I think that your unit still is wonky.

Edit: Before the muting relay clicked there was no voltage present, the meter registered just the same as when the probes were not touching anything.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #2,952 of 3,690
I haven’t had any problems with my 2+, but curious I measured mine using a Sennheiser cable and a voltmeter to see what I would get. I plugged in the amp to power only (no input connected, volume all the way down to reduce the influence of any static on the inputs). Using the “Canada” stock tube I got with it, I plugged in the cable and put the voltmeter probes on the headphone end and flipped the power switch.

When the muting relay clicked the most I saw on any of the channels (I measured several times power cycling the amp) was between 50-100 mV that dwindled down to zero within seconds. At the longest it was between 2-3 seconds until it was down to 15 mV or so and reduced all the way down to zero (0 mV) in a further 2-3 seconds. Everything was at room temp when I first powered up the amp.

Granted, I don’t know how it is supposed to be, but going by those results I think that your unit still is wonky.

Edit: Before the muting relay clicked there was no voltage present, the meter registered just the same as when the probes were not touching anything.
On my amp, as soon as the muting relay disengages, the DC goes from a few mV and then spikes. The first time I measured it, I had my multimeter set to 200 mV sensitivity, and it maxed it out and couldn't even give me a reading. The next time I set it to 2 V sensitivity, and I got readings above 2 v. It comes down quickly after this, but it still takes several minutes to get the points where I'd ever plug a headphone into the jack. It never gets to 0 mV. It has at least 1-2 mV at all times. I emailed Schiit again today and we'll see what they say. I did ask them to confirm if this is still defective, and if so, I wanted a new until sent to me in exchange.

Sep 19, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #2,953 of 3,690
On my amp, as soon as the muting relay disengages, the DC goes from a few mV and then spikes. The first time I measured it, I had my multimeter set to 200 mV sensitivity, and it maxed it out and couldn't even give me a reading. The next time I set it to 2 V sensitivity, and I got readings above 2 v. It comes down quickly after this, but it still takes several minutes to get the points where I'd ever plug a headphone into the jack. It never gets to 0 mV. It has at least 1-2 mV at all times. I emailed Schiit again today and we'll see what they say. I did ask them to confirm if this is still defective, and if so, I wanted a new until sent to me in exchange.
That really don't sound normal. I'd think you'd absolutely qualify for an exchange

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #2,954 of 3,690
Pulled out my little Schiit stack from storage and I am shocked how good the HifiMan Arya's sound with the Vali 2. And that on LOW GAIN with the volume at only 12 o'clock. The Loki also adds some nice bass to the Arya with the low frequency at 3 o'clock. The other components are the Schiit Modi Multibit DAC and the Eitr DDC.
20210902_164334_HDR.jpg

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #2,955 of 3,690
Question : I have a Vali 2+ feeding powered speakers and like it. I bought a 1950’s Magnavox stereo tube amp and had it rebuilt as a power amp (the preamp was for phono, I play CDs or PC files.) So I need a preamp and volume control for the tube amp. Thinking to use the Vali temporarily but I’ll eventually buy a new pre, either another Vali or a Saga. Has anyone compared the Vali 2+ to a Saga? I know the Saga adds inputs and a remote, I’m more interested in sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back