Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Mar 27, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #2,416 of 3,690
One day I'll jump on this "stack" thing all you kids keep talking about. I'm still using my Fiio X3 as a DAC being fed from my old laptop running Daphile. Probably best to keep that old laptop as far away from those glass RF antennas as possible

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #2,417 of 3,690
The Vali on high gain has a rather high output impedance (5.8 I think) means I'm going to have to run it on low when using my Nightowl because its only 25 ohms.

Is the ratio 1/6 or 1/8 of the headphone impedance?

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #2,418 of 3,690
One day I'll jump on this "stack" thing all you kids keep talking about. I'm still using my Fiio X3 as a DAC being fed from my old laptop running Daphile. Probably best to keep that old laptop as far away from those glass RF antennas as possible
Pssh. It's a gateway drug of sorts. I have my stack... and... now I'm looking at a Valhalla2 & an Asgard2 & perched on top of a multibit Gungnir DAC.

I'm doing ugly, wonderful external mods to my Vali 2. It's a wonderful little toaster. Awful photos on the Vali Tube Rolling thread. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #2,419 of 3,690
I need to put black electrical tape over the LEDs on my Schiit stack as well. I guess it never really bothered me that much at night but the darker the better so I will be putting some on tonight.

Mar 27, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #2,421 of 3,690
The Vali on high gain has a rather high output impedance (5.8 I think) means I'm going to have to run it on low when using my Nightowl because its only 25 ohms.

Is the ratio 1/6 or 1/8 of the headphone impedance?

1/8 is the mainstream preference. It all depends on how it sounds though ultimately.

Mar 27, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #2,422 of 3,690

The 21st century is awaiting, Dad.

:stuck_out_tongue::kissing_smiling_eyes:

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #2,424 of 3,690
1/8 is the mainstream preference. It all depends on how it sounds though ultimately.

Thanks, I thought it was 1/6 so I'm glad I know what it is now.

Yeah, I'll have to just hear what they sound like but I feel like 25 ohms in to a 5.8 amp output will sound a bit off.

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #2,425 of 3,690
Well I've been using the Vali for a couple of hours now and first impressions are pretty good. Has the larger soundstage I over the Magni3 which I was expecting and overall the resolution is also good though I feel the Magni3 is a touch better in that department.

As for the headphones I was surprised that my LCD-2C sounds really quite good since I was never a fan of planars and hybrid amps. I also thought my Nightowl might sound to dark but not so, they sound pretty much the same on the Vali as with the Magni3 in terms of brightness which is a big plus. I haven't used the Elear yet but their times coming.

So overall I'm liking this little amp and can't wait to start tube rolling so if anyone has some suggestions as to which ones are the best let me know.

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #2,426 of 3,690
Well I've been using the Vali for a couple of hours now and first impressions are pretty good. Has the larger soundstage I over the Magni3 which I was expecting and overall the resolution is also good though I feel the Magni3 is a touch better in that department.

As for the headphones I was surprised that my LCD-2C sounds really quite good since I was never a fan of planars and hybrid amps. I also thought my Nightowl might sound to dark but not so, they sound pretty much the same on the Vali as with the Magni3 in terms of brightness which is a big plus. I haven't used the Elear yet but their times coming.

So overall I'm liking this little amp and can't wait to start tube rolling so if anyone has some suggestions as to which ones are the best let me know.

Get a 60's Telefunken 6DJ8 and call it done. :relaxed:

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #2,428 of 3,690
Thanks for the suggestion. There's a RCA 6CG7 on TubeDepot that I might get.. I don't really want to go over $50 for now so I'll keep looking around but the RCA clear top might be the one I get.

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #2,429 of 3,690
Greetings, all. I joined the Vali 2 and Magni Multibit party this week, and I’ve enjoyed it so far.

I just ordered from Tube Depot: a Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB tube (balances triodes), a 6SN7 to 6922 Adapter, and a 9 Pin Socket Saver.

Two questions: is that all I need to connect the tube to the Vali 2, and do I have to remove the chassis to install the socket saver and adapter? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #2,430 of 3,690
You know there is no "done", stop getting the poor guy's hopes up.

I was trying to be nice helpful non-enabling lying full of it misleading pragmatic. Didn't work? :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back