Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Mar 21, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #2,401 of 3,690
Fellow tube rollers, if you have purchased a 6SN7 to 6922 adapters from Tube Depot, you will have noticed that the pins are longer than the socket saver is deep, leaving exposed pins. I have ordered a bag of 11mm rubber o-rings (nine-pines are 12mm across) so a couple of o-rings should conceal the pins.JPG pins and protect against something getting in there and shorting out your amp

Mar 23, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #2,402 of 3,690
Fellow tube rollers, if you have purchased a 6SN7 to 6922 adapters from Tube Depot, you will have noticed that the pins are longer than the socket saver is deep, leaving exposed pins. I have ordered a bag of 11mm rubber o-rings (nine-pines are 12mm across) so a couple of o-rings should conceal the pins and protect against something getting in there and shorting out your amp
My knee-jerk reaction would be to snip them to size. And then use plyers to straighten them out. I wonder how successful I’d be? :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #2,403 of 3,690
My knee-jerk reaction would be to snip them to size. And then use plyers to straighten them out. I wonder how successful I’d be? :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
Before I ordered the o-rings, I search high and low for my good diagonal cutters, because the one I had were dull.
You know as soon as I ordered them, I found the diagonal cutters and trimmed them, but I still see daylight between them and the socket savers, so one o-ring should allow the adapter to seat better.

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #2,404 of 3,690
Before I ordered the o-rings, I search high and low for my good diagonal cutters, because the one I had were dull.
You know as soon as I ordered them, I found the diagonal cutters and trimmed them, but I still see daylight between them and the socket savers, so one o-ring should allow the adapter to seat better.
The O-ring fix is the way to go. I'll go to a local plumbing supply store to sort myself out (no chopping copper pins).

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #2,405 of 3,690
The O-ring fix is the way to go. I'll go to a local plumbing supply store to sort myself out (no chopping copper pins).
I was concerned that they may have a core and would need to have ends soldered to work, but they are solid core pins and it was an easy trim.

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #2,406 of 3,690
Several good rca for schiit stacks I've heard of includes the schiit pyst cables, monoprice cables, and the intropose rigid cross connect which I use personally.
The monoprice are a good bargain but I like the intropose because it looks nice. GL :)

How well does the Intropose work with the Vali 2? I'm assuming you're using it to connect a Modi of some flavor - I thought I saw a comment somewhere that it didn't quite line up with a Vali like it does with a Magni. I'm specifically running a Vali 2 with a Modi 3 (not sure if the ports moved between Modi models).

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #2,407 of 3,690
How well does the Intropose work with the Vali 2? I'm assuming you're using it to connect a Modi of some flavor - I thought I saw a comment somewhere that it didn't quite line up with a Vali like it does with a Magni. I'm specifically running a Vali 2 with a Modi 3 (not sure if the ports moved between Modi models).

Thanks!
It's about the same as any other cable but it looks cooler and it keeps it stacked perfectly.

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #2,408 of 3,690
OK, great thanks. I thought I read somewhere that the Vali using that cable-bracket wasn't quite aligned (sounds like the Magni and Vali ports are in the same position).

Oh yeah, it was a review right from their site (see below), but the buyer qualified it might be due to their install, so maybe it's nothing :)

Highly Recommend This
swotchnollie on Oct 17, 2018
It's the same price as the cables from Schiit iirc but takes up much less space.
Unless you wanted to put your equipment side by side instead of stacking it I believe this is the better option.

Using it with a Modi 3 + Vali 2, not exactly a perfect fit but it's not noticeable unless you look for it and still works great.
Comes with 4 rubber feet to help fill that gap that the connector creates between the equipment.
For this particular setup they're about 1mm too short to fill the gap perfectly and the Vali 2 is offset by about 2mm but I don't find that to be an issue since everything still works.

Might fiddle around with it some time to see if the alignment is user error.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #2,409 of 3,690
OK, great thanks. I thought I read somewhere that the Vali using that cable-bracket wasn't quite aligned (sounds like the Magni and Vali ports are in the same position).

Oh yeah, it was a review right from their site (see below), but the buyer qualified it might be due to their install, so maybe it's nothing :)

Highly Recommend This
swotchnollie on Oct 17, 2018
It's the same price as the cables from Schiit iirc but takes up much less space.
Unless you wanted to put your equipment side by side instead of stacking it I believe this is the better option.

Using it with a Modi 3 + Vali 2, not exactly a perfect fit but it's not noticeable unless you look for it and still works great.
Comes with 4 rubber feet to help fill that gap that the connector creates between the equipment.
For this particular setup they're about 1mm too short to fill the gap perfectly and the Vali 2 is offset by about 2mm but I don't find that to be an issue since everything still works.

Might fiddle around with it some time to see if the alignment is user error.

For a perfect fit, make your own cables. Not necessarily cheaper, but you can get the exact size you need. :slight_smile:

Schiit2.jpg

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #2,410 of 3,690
For a perfect fit, make your own cables. Not necessarily cheaper, but you can get the exact size you need. :slight_smile:

Nice, yeah, that would be a fun project, I'm a software engineer / super tinkerer - in fact, I have some speaker pins coming from Amazon tomorrow to make some good, specific sized speaker connection for my new desktop speakers (which sounds fantastic behind the Modi 3 + Vali 2).

I'm currently using a pretty nice set of RCA cables, just looking to reduce my Schiit footprint :D

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #2,411 of 3,690
Nice, yeah, that would be a fun project, I'm a software engineer / super tinkerer - in fact, I have some speaker pins coming from Amazon tomorrow to make some good, specific sized speaker connection for my new desktop speakers (which sounds fantastic behind the Modi 3 + Vali 2).

I'm currently using a pretty nice set of RCA cables, just looking to reduce my Schiit footprint :D

I had the same problem when I started my pile of Schiit. Had a number of good interconnects laying around, but they were all 1 meter or longer and it looked like a rat's nest. So I made those out of cable with OCC copper wire and foamed Teflon dielectric, and it's super flexible which was a big bonus.

Mar 26, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #2,412 of 3,690
I had the same problem when I started my pile of Schiit. Had a number of good interconnects laying around, but they were all 1 meter or longer and it looked like a rat's nest. So I made those out of cable with OCC copper wire and foamed Teflon dielectric, and it's super flexible which was a big bonus.

How's that saying go… A clean stack is the sign of a sick mind…
:ksc75smile:

Mar 27, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #2,413 of 3,690
I ordered a Vali 2 yesterday so I looking forward to hearing how it sounds with my Schiit stack. I have the original but this will be a much better upgrade to that. I know my dynamic headphones will sound good but I'm not a huge fan of planars and hybrid amps so I'll see how the 2C sounds with it.

I see people talking about cables and I've used the Monoprice ones for a few years now and feel they work great, plus I save a bit of money which is hard to do in this game.

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #2,414 of 3,690
I ordered a Vali 2 yesterday so I looking forward to hearing how it sounds with my Schiit stack. I have the original but this will be a much better upgrade to that. I know my dynamic headphones will sound good but I'm not a huge fan of planars and hybrid amps so I'll see how the 2C sounds with it.

I see people talking about cables and I've used the Monoprice ones for a few years now and feel they work great, plus I save a bit of money which is hard to do in this game.

Monoprice is good for the budget end of cables. I have several myself and have not had a bad experience. Like all cables, debates seem to boil down to preference and priority. I replaced all my USB cables with Monoprice because the cable seems more robust, the connections make a better fit. But, without setting off another chapter in the cable debate, I simply don't see much advantage in data cables being high-priced. Signal cables are a bit different, because of shielding noise, so a better quality wire and better connections are worthwhile. Cablesforless.com has a listing for SPDIF Coaxials, on close-out for less than a dollar each, and from the photo, they look identical to the one I paid $24 for from Bluejeans cables.

Speaker wires--when my Advents were new, their inventor Henry Kloss stated on the paper stapled to the back of the speaker, that a 'good quality lamp cord' would be needed to connect his loudspeakers to the receiver. I have a good quality run of US-made Belden cables for my speakers, and they sound great. Nothing fancy, no exotic geometry, or oval designs, just good copper wire, well-shielded and properly terminated. Probably the best "wire money" I have spent was for replacement cables for the Senn 6XX headphones.

Massdrop substitutes a cheap and inferior cable for the stock Sennheiser wire, and I found the Massdrop cables were not even connected inside the plastic molded plug... Because the signal is so critical from the amplifier to transducers, this would be where an investment in a custom replacement cable would make the most sense.

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #2,415 of 3,690
How's that saying go… A clean stack is the sign of a sick mind…
:ksc75smile:

If that's true, I likely have the cleanest stack in all of Schiitdom. :smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back