Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Mar 10, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #2,386 of 3,690
I haven't exactly been around the tube block myself, but this is first I've heard about any variants of the mouse ear.

There's the version we're all familiar with, and then the glass-less version that Robert has. It may sound really good but it's not rated for very many hours. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #2,387 of 3,690
I'm LMAO. He's had that tube listed for well over 6 months now. Perhaps in another 6 months the automatic price drops will take it down to $5, which is still probably more than it's worth. :relaxed:
Are you talking about the bangy tube or the three hole mouse-ears dated 8/51?

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #2,388 of 3,690
Are you talking about the bangy tube or the three hole mouse-ears dated 8/51?

I'm LMAO at the BangyBang tube. For that matter, I LMAO at all of BangyBang's tubes. It's just unfortunate that unknowing people perpetuate his continuing fraud by sending him money.

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #2,389 of 3,690
I'm LMAO at the BangyBang tube. For that matter, I LMAO at all of BangyBang's tubes. It's just unfortunate that unknowing people perpetuate his continuing fraud by sending him money.
Bill-what do you know about very early Mouse-ears--three hole black plates marked "H 8/51" sold as Hytron Mouse-ears?

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #2,390 of 3,690
Bill-what do you know about very early Mouse-ears--three hole black plates marked "H 8/51" sold as Hytron Mouse-ears?

Nothing, sorry.

I am learning about 1578's though if that doesn't help as little. :slight_smile:

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #2,391 of 3,690
I have a dumb question. I'm thinking of getting a Vali 2 from the current B-stock and wondering if the tube gets very hot or could burn somebody. My toddler uses my desk sometimes and I won't get it if there's any chance he could get hurt from the tube.

Sorry again if that's a dumb question. I've obviously never owned a tube amp!

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #2,392 of 3,690
I have a dumb question. I'm thinking of getting a Vali 2 from the current B-stock and wondering if the tube gets very hot or could burn somebody. My toddler uses my desk sometimes and I won't get it if there's any chance he could get hurt from the tube.

There are tube amps and there are tube amps. :relaxed: The 211 tubes I had in some amps a while back would remove your skin with even a momentary touch at full operating temperature. The 9-pin tube in a Vali 2 won't get hot enough to cause burns, even with a toddlers tender skin. It'll get uncomfortable enough to be in contact with long before any damage is done. There *is* the glass/toddler factor though, and a tube's broken glass will cut just as easily as any other broken glass....

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #2,393 of 3,690

That's NOT a dumb question. The Vali's tube is warm to the touch. I wouldn't pull it out with my bare hands (while its running)... in my case, I'd be concerned about dropping the tube. They're built like a thick-walled incandescent light bulb. If you use the same precautions as attempting to unscrew a 'lit' bulb, you (and your child) will be safe. And the glowing tube isn't blazing like a flare. It's an orange glow. The biggest concern I'd have is one leaving tubes rolling around on the floor and your child sticks it into her mouth!

My Vali's stock tube's firmly anchored in place.Your child will have to be given quite a bit of unsupervised time (and dexterous, upper-body-strength) with this amp to wiggle it free. :ksc75smile:

There are tube amps and there are tube amps. :relaxed: The 211 tubes I had in some amps a while back would remove your skin with even a momentary touch at full operating temperature. The 9-pin tube in a Vali 2 won't get hot enough to cause burns, even with a toddlers tender skin. It'll get uncomfortable enough to be in contact with long before any damage is done. There *is* the glass/toddler factor though, and a tube's broken glass will cut just as easily as any other broken glass....
@bcowen 's right on the money. I suspect Schiit Audio chose this particular tube (valve?) for its physical & operating characteristics.

Welcome to the thread, @Rwit :smile_phones:

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #2,394 of 3,690
That's NOT a dumb question. The Vali's tube is warm to the touch. I wouldn't pull it out with my bare hands (while its running)... in my case, I'd be concerned about dropping the tube. They're built like a thick-walled incandescent light bulb. If you use the same precautions as attempting to unscrew a 'lit' bulb, you (and your child) will be safe. And the glowing tube isn't blazing like a flare. It's an orange glow. The biggest concern I'd have is one leaving tubes rolling around on the floor and your child sticks it into her mouth!

My Vali's stock tube's firmly anchored in place.Your child will have to be given quite a bit of unsupervised time (and dexterous, upper-body-strength) with this amp to wiggle it free. :ksc75smile:

@bcowen 's right on the money. I suspect Schiit Audio chose this particular tube (valve?) for its physical & operating characteristics.

And using a nine-pin socket saver will lift the tube out of the chassis enough to cool itself better.

Mar 19, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #2,395 of 3,690

and price and availability

Mar 19, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #2,396 of 3,690

whoops, i didn't do that quite right !

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #2,397 of 3,690
Thank you for all of the advice. I decided to buy the Vali 2 from B-stock. Unlike my Fulla 2 (which drives my computer speakers) it won't be on all the time, will be far enough back on the desk he can't reach it, and he is always supervised when sitting at the desk anyway. I'll just have to teach him not to play with daddy's toys :)

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #2,398 of 3,690
I'll just have to teach him not to play with daddy's toys :)

Good luck with that part. Just wait until he's a teenager. :relaxed:

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #2,399 of 3,690
Good luck with that part. Just wait until he's a teenager. :relaxed:
I bought my own teenager a Modi->Vali 2 combo (w/ Pyst interconnects). He uses it daily.

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #2,400 of 3,690
Thank you for all of the advice. I decided to buy the Vali 2 from B-stock. Unlike my Fulla 2 (which drives my computer speakers) it won't be on all the time, will be far enough back on the desk he can't reach it, and he is always supervised when sitting at the desk anyway. I'll just have to teach him not to play with daddy's toys :)
burning isnt as big of a danger as cutting from broken tubes. my little one tried to lunge and grab my lyr 3 tube and cracked it. thankfully he did not cut himself. but i did removing the broken tube! daddy was not happy.... daddy also ditched tubes at home because of the little beasts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back