Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jan 9, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #2,326 of 3,690
Thanks everyone for great feedback on cables. I’m going to try 6922 tube and see if that reduces noise, then try to reevaluate if I went to invest in cables.

Post your thoughts about the tube, eh. My Vali sometimes gets a VERY quiet, whooshing background noise. If I use the stock tube ~4h/day... it'll last me ~3 years. Psshhh. Good enough. :ksc75smile:

Installed Pyst cables in my son's Modi -> Vali setup. They look and work great.

The Monoprice seem to stiff.
I used some no-name super cheap (but not stiff) cables for my other sons Modi -> Magni setup.

I like the spartan look. The Amazon Basics (Monoprice) are stiff as all hell. Gentle flexing & rubber-bands made them behave! The Y-splitter's metal was very soft, so they need to be pinched to get a firm connection. Amazon dot ca sell them in packs of 3.... Huh?! Weird. Re: Pyst cables. They look nice -- and tasty.... :triportsad: Since I have house-panthers, we have to cover all the cables with cable-tubes & electrician's tape.

Jan 11, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #2,327 of 3,690
After researching and reading and watching a lot of reviews, I visited the Schiiter this morning and had the chance to try out the Modi 3, Modi 3 Multibit, Magni 3 and Vali 2 stacks and compare them to the Fulla 2 using my new Grado GW100s in wired mode. I first tried using the SurfacePads with the beta streaming Euro service but it took awhile to navigate and get some songs on both stacks that were the same so I could compare and contrast each stack. I wound up using The Beatles Norwegian Wood, Thelonious Monk Straight No Chaser from the streaming service, and finally, from my own MacBook Pro, about five of my recordings of my son’s Jazz drum kit conservatory audition videos recorded in stereo HD. He’s a Jazz Drumkit performance major at CalPoly SLO, so I know these really well and the audio is uncompressed MOV 16bit/192.

The first stack I setup was the Modi 3 and Magni 3 and I was super impressed. It was really a lot better than the Fulla 2. Full and very bright and airy with the Grado GW100s. But then I setup the Modi 3 Multibit and Vali 2 and was shocked at how different it really sounded. Even with the same headphones, same recordings, and same volume levels, it was like I was listening to color TV instead of black and white. Especially on the Jazz audition videos, I could not believe what I was hearing. I could actually hear the slide and finger work on the standup bass, the actual percussion of the fingers on the piano, and the distinctly different techniques of my son’s sticks in the different pieces. It was like I was live in our garage, not listening to a video recording. These are well recorded stereo recordings in 16/192 and uncompressed. I could place the piano, bass and drums from left to right in the stereo field. I never could hear that before in these recordings, but now they just popped out. It’s a very different experience.

After about 35 minutes of listening back and forth, I was sold. I purchased the Modi 3 Multibit and Vali 2 combo with some patch cables.

I do have some comments on the Schiiter and demo room. First, the layout is really nice and I love that they had each station setup in the most appropriate way. However, the SurfacePads are not the most user friendly or stable devices. Each time they are started up, you have to fiddle with the audio source, at least in the beta steaming software for the Euro service they are working on.

Second, the idea of using the streaming service with HD versions of songs is really great! But there were problems playing back some of the songs and the switching from one song to another was pretty slow. The service or the app crashed multiple times. I had much better results using my own MacBook Pro connected to the demo station equipment. And also I was more familiar with what I thought to be the quality and source material. That helped a LOT during the back and forth between the two stacks.

Third, the coffee was pretty good. I have a Jura E9, which is very similar to the machine in the Schiiter. I usually have a medium roast but the dark roast they provided is tasty too! I took mine for the road.

Fourth, the folks were really helpful and friendly and they did their best to answer a lot of questions and did not try to sell me anything. That is a great user experience when trying to figure out if and what to buy.

So far, a great product and well worth the effort to learn about the systems. Next up, learning about tubes-- there are several good threads here so I will be busy for awhile, and listening to the music.

Jan 11, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #2,328 of 3,690
After researching and reading and watching a lot of reviews, I visited the Schiiter this morning and had the chance to try out the Modi 3, Modi 3 Multibit, Magni 3 and Vali 2 stacks and compare them to the Fulla 2 using my new Grado GW100s in wired mode. I first tried using the SurfacePads with the beta streaming Euro service but it took awhile to navigate and get some songs on both stacks that were the same so I could compare and contrast each stack. I wound up using The Beatles Norwegian Wood, Thelonious Monk Straight No Chaser from the streaming service, and finally, from my own MacBook Pro, about five of my recordings of my son’s Jazz drum kit conservatory audition videos recorded in stereo HD. He’s a Jazz Drumkit performance major at CalPoly SLO, so I know these really well and the audio is uncompressed MOV 16bit/192.

The first stack I setup was the Modi 3 and Magni 3 and I was super impressed. It was really a lot better than the Fulla 2. Full and very bright and airy with the Grado GW100s. But then I setup the Modi 3 Multibit and Vali 2 and was shocked at how different it really sounded. Even with the same headphones, same recordings, and same volume levels, it was like I was listening to color TV instead of black and white. Especially on the Jazz audition videos, I could not believe what I was hearing. I could actually hear the slide and finger work on the standup bass, the actual percussion of the fingers on the piano, and the distinctly different techniques of my son’s sticks in the different pieces. It was like I was live in our garage, not listening to a video recording. These are well recorded stereo recordings in 16/192 and uncompressed. I could place the piano, bass and drums from left to right in the stereo field. I never could hear that before in these recordings, but now they just popped out. It’s a very different experience.

After about 35 minutes of listening back and forth, I was sold. I purchased the Modi 3 Multibit and Vali 2 combo with some patch cables.

I do have some comments on the Schiiter and demo room. First, the layout is really nice and I love that they had each station setup in the most appropriate way. However, the SurfacePads are not the most user friendly or stable devices. Each time they are started up, you have to fiddle with the audio source, at least in the beta steaming software for the Euro service they are working on.

Second, the idea of using the streaming service with HD versions of songs is really great! But there were problems playing back some of the songs and the switching from one song to another was pretty slow. The service or the app crashed multiple times. I had much better results using my own MacBook Pro connected to the demo station equipment. And also I was more familiar with what I thought to be the quality and source material. That helped a LOT during the back and forth between the two stacks.

Third, the coffee was pretty good. I have a Jura E9, which is very similar to the machine in the Schiiter. I usually have a medium roast but the dark roast they provided is tasty too! I took mine for the road.

Fourth, the folks were really helpful and friendly and they did their best to answer a lot of questions and did not try to sell me anything. That is a great user experience when trying to figure out if and what to buy.

So far, a great product and well worth the effort to learn about the systems. Next up, learning about tubes-- there are several good threads here so I will be busy for awhile, and listening to the music.
Welcome to the rabbit hole. :)

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #2,329 of 3,690
+1 on buying a different tube. My stock tube developed a hum within 90 days, especially on high output, and a new tube has recently solved that problem. It is likely not the solid state hardware. It's the cheap tubes they include stock. Get something that has been more carefully matched and higher quality, and it is likely your problem will go away for less than $20.
I too found that the stock tube (Unlabeled but similar in appearance to 6N1P Sovtek NOS) sounded good, but it was picking up the wireless remote telemetry from my Heart Pacemaker. The alternative tubes I own, a $48 new production Telefunken, a new 6SN7 from JJ (the same factory in Slovakia) and a NOS Sovtek 6H8C did not have the 70bpm back-beat built-in. I have a vintage Tung-sol "Mouse-ears" on the way (6SN7). I suggest you invest in both a "socket-saver" and a 6SN7 adapter to fit the e88cc socket in the Vali 2. I have found 6SN7 to have a more expansive soundstage, more detail, and better overall SQ than the smaller sized tubes. Welcome to Tube-rolling. My personal preference is using Headphones to get the full potential of each tube I am listening to.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #2,330 of 3,690
L
I too found that the stock tube (Unlabeled but similar in appearance to 6N1P Sovtek NOS) sounded good, but it was picking up the wireless remote telemetry from my Heart Pacemaker. The alternative tubes I own, a $48 new production Telefunken, a new 6SN7 from JJ (the same factory in Slovakia) and a NOS Sovtek 6H8C did not have the 70bpm back-beat built-in. I have a vintage Tung-sol "Mouse-ears" on the way (6SN7). I suggest you invest in both a "socket-saver" and a 6SN7 adapter to fit the e88cc socket in the Vali 2. I have found 6SN7 to have a more expansive soundstage, more detail, and better overall SQ than the smaller sized tubes. Welcome to Tube-rolling. My personal preference is using Headphones to get the full potential of each tube I am listening to.
I'll be interested in your take on the sound of the "mouse ears".

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #2,331 of 3,690
Does anyone have any good cable recommendations for between the Vali 2 and the Modi? I dug out some old RCA cables that are probably 20 years old. Currently I'm going from Dell Inspiron Laptop via Schiit supplied USB cable to Modi and then old red-white RCA cables to Vali 2. Is there a more optimal cable setup?
A cable, if properly terminated, will conduct a signal from terminal to terminal. A cable cannot improve upon the sound quality of the signal, the exception being interference from adjacent electronics, which will impart noise. So if you have a cable that is 20 years old, and connectors are free of corrosion, and don't have a broken wire in the connectors, they should perform properly. (No, I am not trying to say that some cables are better than others, or the opposite--that all cables are the same) The PYST are exceptional because they are designed by Schiit for the very purpose intended. The short length exposes less wire to RF interference, or the "antenna effect". In this application the wires might seem "stiff" and cause thestack to not sit properly atop each other. This may be a better solution. introprose.myshopify.com/products/rca-crossconnect-for-schiit-stack

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #2,332 of 3,690

Welcome to Head-Fi. You are now a newly minted, fellow, Schiit-Head! I envy you - I can’t visit the Schiitr (yet). Perhaps for my 50th birthday celebration...

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #2,333 of 3,690
L

I'll be interested in your take on the sound of the "mouse ears".
You were my motivation to go with the socket-saver/6SN7 converter combination, and this Tung-Sol is really my first "vintage" tube. I am so glad I purchased it, and it really wasn't that expensive ($8) The sound is Delicious, very musical and I was listening to Norah Jones and not a trace of the sibilance I have to hear on the Sovtek 6SN7 tube. It is already my favorite tube and has replaced the new production JJ-brand 6SN7 which was starting to settle down. The difference between a 6922-class tube and the 6SN7 is a mouse-ears.JPG remarkable improvement in the depth of the Soundstage. It just seems broader and more detailed. I admit it looks odd, such a big tube on such a small package, but looks don't affect SQ

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #2,334 of 3,690
You were my motivation to go with the socket-saver/6SN7 converter combination, and this Tung-Sol is really my first "vintage" tube. I am so glad I purchased it, and it really wasn't that expensive ($8) The sound is Delicious, very musical and I was listening to Norah Jones and not a trace of the sibilance I have to hear on the Sovtek 6SN7 tube. It is already my favorite tube and has replaced the new production JJ-brand 6SN7 which was starting to settle down. The difference between a 6299-class tube and the 6SN7 is a remarkable improvement in the depth of the Soundstage. It just seems broader and more detailed. I admit it looks odd, such a big tube on such a small package, but looks don't affect SQ
I'm glad you're enjoying the tube. There's always the element of self-doubt when making a recommendation. Yes, it may be funny looking but I see it as distinctive. The more I read, the more I see that the 6sn7 in general is one of the best tubes for audio.

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #2,335 of 3,690
The last one I bought took 16-days to come from Hong Kong not bad if you want to experience a 6SN7 tube on the Vali.

www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-6SN7-6n8p-CV181-TO-ECC88-6922-6DJ8-tube-adapter-CNC-Copper-body-/191186405190

made from copper and well worth the $6 more, IMHO.

I also wish to apologize to this vendor for a comment I had made about his fine product.
1. I was wrong, I was comparing apples to oranges.
2. I said that his adapter took 3 weeks, it was 16-days, which is really pretty fast...a parcel from Russia takes over a month.
3. The cheaper version is functional, but this piece is metal vs. plastic.

Many of his customers come from these forums, so my comments shed a bad light upon him.
I am sorry.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #2,336 of 3,690
I was thinking of purchasing the Schiit Vali 2 for my ESS 422H headphones. Would this not suffer from these issues listed below?

I have previously purchased the Little Dot MKII but it had a hum that would get louder the higher you raised the volume and if I did not use a cheater plug would pickup mouse/beeping/opening of windows and GPU noise from the computer no matter of what wall outlet used in the room. My DAC is the JDS Labs OL DAC.

Jan 14, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #2,337 of 3,690
I was thinking of purchasing the Schiit Vali 2 for my ESS 422H headphones. Would this not suffer from these issues listed below?

I have previously purchased the Little Dot MKII but it had a hum that would get louder the higher you raised the volume and if I did not use a cheater plug would pickup mouse/beeping/opening of windows and GPU noise from the computer no matter of what wall outlet used in the room. My DAC is the JDS Labs OL DAC.

Not familiar Little Dot, and I have not experienced problems with Vali 2. In the one case when I had any noise--it was with the 6N1P stock tube picking up my heart pacemaker telemetry. A different tube is a black background, so problem solved.

Welcome to tube rolling on the Vali 2.

Jan 14, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #2,338 of 3,690

That sounds like a ground loop issue. It's possible it's caused by the Little Dot and swapping out with a different amp would resolve it, but you should probably try to address it in your current setup.

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #2,339 of 3,690
Not familiar Little Dot, and I have not experienced problems with Vali 2. In the one case when I had any noise--it was with the 6N1P stock tube picking up my heart pacemaker telemetry. A different tube is a black background, so problem solved.

Welcome to tube rolling on the Vali 2.

As far as I know, the stock tube is 6BZ7/6BQ7A on the Vali 2. The 6N1P is a Russian tube that is stock on the Valhalla 2.

Jan 14, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #2,340 of 3,690
As far as I know, the stock tube is 6BZ7/6BQ7A on the Vali 2. The 6N1P is a Russian tube that is stock on the Valhalla 2.
No dispute that is what the page says, The stock tube is very similar to a Sovtek 6N1P in my case and although that is what is supplied the pins accept a 6922, e88cc, size tubes and other 9-pin variants. The essential difference is even shown in the photograph on the Vali 2 page--see the four red glows? well, that is unique to the Russian version. The 6N1P has a higher plate voltage which doesn't affect its performance except for long life. Mine was also microphonic--another trait of many Russian e88cc, 6922 variants "Vali 2 is supplied with a single NOS 6BZ7 tube, which can be swapped for the same tubes we use in Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2—feel free to use virtually any ECC88, 6922, 6DJ8, 2492,"--Vali 2
" 6N1P dual triode input, 6N6P dual triode output, 1 each per channel. 6N1Ps rollable to 6DJ8, E88CC, 6922, 6BZ7, and similar types." When in doubt, remember Schiit chose the stock tubes based on supply and markets, so I am glad it was a good sounding tube, not as good as the New Production Telefunken which was not microphonic. The Russian tubeRU-6N1P_JSC-Voskhod-1.jpg pictured is a $9 but the Schiit tube is not marked, so in quantity, it may be a $4 tube...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back