Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 25, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #2,296 of 3,690
The EH is not a bad tube. Same with the JJ 6922. That said some NOS tubes that are better for mot much more. Try getting a 12AU7 adapter, ther are many really good 12AU7 tubes around for under $20. RCA, Sylvania, GE, Tung-Sol etc and European tubes as well. Try some, you will really enjoy trying different tubes to find your perfect match.
Thank you for your encouragement. I have already ordered adapters for 6C8G and 5670 and NOS Reflektor 6N23P. Will also do for 6SN7. A lot of fun awaiting...

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #2,297 of 3,690
My Schiit Vali after 10 months of great sounding developed hum in 250 Ohm phones. It is still on warranty but live far from US and sending one to America (where it was bought) would be too expensive. Any recommendations?

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #2,298 of 3,690
My Schiit Vali after 10 months of great sounding developed hum in 250 Ohm phones. It is still on warranty but live far from US and sending one to America (where it was bought) would be too expensive. Any recommendations?

Perhaps try a different tube.

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2,299 of 3,690
Perhaps try a different tube.

+1 on buying a different tube. My stock tube developed a hum within 90 days, especially on high output, and a new tube has recently solved that problem. It is likely not the solid state hardware. It's the cheap tubes they include stock. Get something that has been more carefully matched and higher quality, and it is likely your problem will go away for less than $20.

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #2,305 of 3,690
Hey guys, I've been having a balance problem with my Vali 2. The left channel is significantly louder than the right channel in high gain and slightly louder in low gain. I've tried multiple tubes and I'm not sure what happened. For the cabling, I am using the interpose rigid cross-connect. Has anyone had this problem before? Thank you.

Dec 30, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #2,306 of 3,690
Hey guys, I've been having a balance problem with my Vali 2. The left channel is significantly louder than the right channel in high gain and slightly louder in low gain. I've tried multiple tubes and I'm not sure what happened. For the cabling, I am using the interpose rigid cross-connect. Has anyone had this problem before? Thank you.

That sounds like something to ask Schiit about. Aren't they in California?

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #2,307 of 3,690
Dec 30, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #2,308 of 3,690
Thank you!

@RickB I know it's a slippery question, can you describe the characteristics of those 2 tubes? If I were to pick one of them up (here in Ontario, Canada... using CDN dollars), I'd be using them while I listen to orchestras, solo-guitar, and/or classical piano.

Maybe with some Disturbed salted in for that ready-for-metal-disco-vibe.... :ksc75smile:

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #2,309 of 3,690
@RickB I know it's a slippery question, can you describe the characteristics of those 2 tubes? If I were to pick one of them up (here in Ontario, Canada... using CDN dollars), I'd be using them while I listen to orchestras, solo-guitar, and/or classical piano.

Maybe with some Disturbed salted in for that ready-for-metal-disco-vibe.... :ksc75smile:

I'm not very good at describing sound, but I would characterize the tubes as this: they both have a warm, smooth sound. The 6CG7 is a little brighter, a little more V shaped, while the Gold Lion is more mid-centric. Also, the GL is smoother than the 6CG7. Not by a lot, but by a noticeable amount.

As for what to pick for classical music, I don't know as that is not a genre I am very familiar with. But, hopefully my descriptions can be a guide.

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #2,310 of 3,690
Does anyone have any good cable recommendations for between the Vali 2 and the Modi? I dug out some old RCA cables that are probably 20 years old. Currently I'm going from Dell Inspiron Laptop via Schiit supplied USB cable to Modi and then old red-white RCA cables to Vali 2. Is there a more optimal cable setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back