Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 9, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #2,281 of 3,690
The Senns are a much better match for the Vali. They are high impedance (relatively efficient though), so the noise floor isn’t as big a deal. The pop is also likely less loud.

Ultimately it comes down to what sounds good to you and any quality of life features an amp provides.

:astonished::astonished::astonished:Agree, the Senns are delightful HPs. If it is only a pop, when the relay engages, that would be part of the "Tube experience" to which I am very new and wouldn't even think it odd, until someone mentions how annoying it has become. Everything pops and cracks and sizzles on my system...due to dry air and static electricity. It is not like I can light up a flourecent tube, but just part off 1948 wiring standards...heck, I am lucky the power even works some days...

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #2,282 of 3,690
If unplugging a headphone jack is going to stress you out, might I suggest listening to speakers. At least you would not have to lift those heavy objects and put them over your ears :smile_phones:

Now, seriously, I have the Vali 2 here beside of me, and I have heard a click and a pop as the amplifier engages, but the Heavenly sound in my Sennheisers is so luxurious with the Telefunken E88CC-TK tube, a little click or a pop, even a sizzle when my static electric charges disapate by touching the volume control are so very minor, by comparison to the Music I get to hear, I am wondering if my Vali 2 is special?
I never said unplugging the headphones would stress me out. Please don't put words into my mouth. I don't like to plug and unplug something unnecessarily because it adds wear to the parts.

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #2,283 of 3,690
I never said unplugging the headphones would stress me out. Please don't put words into my mouth. I don't like to plug and unplug something unnecessarily because it adds wear to the parts.

Seriously? Do you know what it means? Yes, that plugging in and unplugging has been noted as the leading cause of cable failure throughout the Music industry.

Road Manager for a number of Rock and/or Polish Dance Groups has noted that failure-rates in the industry are those damn (His words, not mine) plugs "They are always failing...sometimes we can only plug and unplug them once each day..." Some entrepreneurs should rescue live Music and the whole darn Industry and invent a better headphone plug.

It was placed in this context as if the passage just prior might not be taken seriously. You see that is how written English works, like hyperbole. "might I suggest listening to speakers. At least you would not have to lift those heavy objects and put them over your ears :smile_phones:"

If that premise sounds reasonable, as is to be taken seriously, then YES, I put words in your mouth, and I might add, in a rather eloquent way of doing so...And the emoji---universal sign that I am just joking with you. Are we clear now?

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #2,284 of 3,690
I just picked up a Vali 2 and a Modi to use at work. For the weekend I have them set up at home, and I just noticed that after I turned on the Vali, after 15 seconds or so, there's a lot pop in the headphones. I know that there's a delay in output while the tube warms up, but is the loud pop normal?

Yes it is. It depends on the sensitivity of the headphones and the tube used.

Yes, it's normal. So far, my headphones have been undamaged by the pop.

It's one of the quirks of this unit. I've been told it's a relay on the board. It's harmless. I get some relief from it by turning the volume 'pot all the way down. My HD650 clones make an unpleasant pop (I prefer my Magni3 headphone-amp,... it makes a gentle click). Re: Hot boxes! Wait until you start feeling all the heat given off by these little aluminium boxes! Yeesh. Again, Schiit-Support assured me this is well within safe limits. I think you'll enjoy the Vali. Welcome, eh. :flag_ca:

Dec 11, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #2,285 of 3,690
It's one of the quirks of this unit. I've been told it's a relay on the board. It's harmless. I get some relief from it by turning the volume 'pot all the way down. My HD650 clones make an unpleasant pop (I prefer my Magni3 headphone-amp,... it makes a gentle click). Re: Hot boxes! Wait until you start feeling all the heat given off by these little aluminium boxes! Yeesh. Again, Schiit-Support assured me this is well within safe limits. I think you'll enjoy the Vali. Welcome, eh. :flag_ca:
I noticed how warm it gets. Surprisingly, the tube is the coolest part of the unit.

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #2,287 of 3,690
Received from Amazon today a Genelex Gold Lion that I ordered. Fair warning: the tube was shipped in its tube box, inside a small plastic bag, which was placed in a padded yellow envelope. Luckily, the tube was OK and the tube box was unmarked. This is in contrast to Tube Depot, which always ships tubes in sturdy boxes.

As for the tube's sound quality, it's not too different from the EH 6CG7 I was using, same warm signature. The Gold Lion is noticeably smoother, however.

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #2,288 of 3,690
Received from Amazon today a Genelex Gold Lion that I ordered. Fair warning: the tube was shipped in its tube box, inside a small plastic bag, which was placed in a padded yellow envelope. Luckily, the tube was OK and the tube box was unmarked. This is in contrast to Tube Depot, which always ships tubes in sturdy boxes.

As for the tube's sound quality, it's not too different from the EH 6CG7 I was using, same warm signature. The Gold Lion is noticeably smoother, however.
How do you find the low-end bass? I found it to be lacking.

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #2,290 of 3,690
Sub'd

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #2,291 of 3,690
I just rolled in an Electro-Harmonix 6922. The noise I experienced on high output with the stock tube has vanished and the highs are definitely sweeter. First roll. Lived with a rough stock tube for too long. I don't see needing to go any further at this point. What a nice sweet sounding tube. The tube was a gift, but if vivatubes.com sorts all their tubes this well, I'll probably go looking for them next time I want to experiment. Of course, this is all after about 10 minutes of listening and the tube could still prove to be short lived, but it's a very nice honeymoon right now.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #2,292 of 3,690
I just rolled in an Electro-Harmonix 6922. The noise I experienced on high output with the stock tube has vanished and the highs are definitely sweeter. First roll. Lived with a rough stock tube for too long. I don't see needing to go any further at this point. What a nice sweet sounding tube. The tube was a gift, but if vivatubes.com sorts all their tubes this well, I'll probably go looking for them next time I want to experiment. Of course, this is all after about 10 minutes of listening and the tube could still prove to be short lived, but it's a very nice honeymoon right now.
What Headphones are you using? I am on AKG K702, and still struggling with EH 6922 - after the first couple of days it still sounds too forward, bright, and shrill; too harsh mids and tizzy trebble in many recordings, compared to the stock tube which became sweet and engaging after a while. Could not listen to anything - was coming back to the stock after15 min. Only after several days and forced attempts it maybe starts slowly mellowing a little bit, but still prefer the stock tube. Never any noise.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #2,293 of 3,690
What Headphones are you using? I am on AKG K702, and still struggling with EH 6922 - after the first couple of days it still sounds too forward, bright, and shrill; too harsh mids and tizzy trebble in many recordings, compared to the stock tube which became sweet and engaging after a while. Could not listen to anything - was coming back to the stock after15 min. Only after several days and forced attempts it maybe starts slowly mellowing a little bit, but still prefer the stock tube. Never any noise.

...the much mellower AKG K612.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #2,294 of 3,690
The EH is not a bad tube. Same with the JJ 6922. That said some NOS tubes that are better for mot much more. Try getting a 12AU7 adapter, ther are many really good 12AU7 tubes around for under $20. RCA, Sylvania, GE, Tung-Sol etc and European tubes as well. Try some, you will really enjoy trying different tubes to find your perfect match.

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #2,295 of 3,690

I am testing a JJ 6SN7 ($15.95 Tubedepot) with an adapter on my Vali 2, but I have found it was harsh compared to a new "Telefunken" E88CC-TK, which I just found out are made by JJ, probably in the same factory. Fortunately, the adapter and 6SN7 will work nicely with the Valhalla 2 which is on my wishlist...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back