1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by inseconds99, Dec 11, 2015.
First

Back
139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148
150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159
Next

Last
  1. xformulax
    If you wanted to feed a tube amp AND a SS amp (say vali and magni) with a mimby signal, whats the best way to accomplish this? I think I read the schiit sys can work "backwards" as far as 1 in / 2 out with the volume knob cranked? (basically I have a stack incoming, and thinking about adding the vali 2 as well for specific cans.)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. Mshenay Contributor
    It sure can work two ways, I use it backwards and forwards often. I also have both a solid state and tube amp for my various headphones, but I recommend splitting your Dac into multiple amps with the SYS rather than feeding multiple amp into the SYS and switching between them. This is because the SYS is a variable resistor and I would add a resistor before the amp, not after,

But I guess if you set it to it's least resistive setting it should be fine the problem though is you have to feed the headphone out into a pre amp soooo logistically it would be messy

The other question you have to face is what do you set the amps to? If you set them to their max output and use the SYS to control volume it will degrade the sound quality. More gain equals more noise and feeding MAX gain and MAX Noise into a resistor will only help you control the decibels of the output. You'll still have max noise even with less db's

What I do is use my SYS to feed my DAC into two amps, and my amps are at the font of my system and I control volume from there. Since the Dac has only 1 output setting there's no risk of increased noise and I keep the SYS at it's least resistive setting

What you COULD do is maybe use the Pre Out of your Vali 2 to feed into the Magni and use the Magni with everything. Many really like using a Tube Preamp with a Solid State amp. The Pre out of the Vali 2 should again be a fixed output and have less noise than using the loudest output of the Headphone Out but even then you have two resistive loads in your signal. So either run each amp seperate with a SYS inbetween your DAC and each amp, hit the switch on the sys to switch between the two amps. OR Use the Vali 2 as your Pre Amp between your Dac and a Magni and run everything with the Magni

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  3. Keno18
    I asked that question of Schiit tech support and they said the SYS can be used that way, but they pointed to a FAQ answer that says just use a split-er or "Y" connector and connect both amps at the same time to the output of the mimby. I used an ifi nano BL instead of the mimby but the split-er worked perfectly for me. Both amps work without interference.

4. Mshenay Contributor
    Good idea too, will all schiit amps work this way with all Schiit Dacs? Though I suppose when you upgrade your DAC the Gumby or Better you'll get multiple Line Outs. Still will other amps from them work without interference via said "Y" connector. If so then that's a great solution! Though @xformulax I would suggest that if you intend to own products other than schiit that only have a single output you invest in the SYS just to be safe, but if your going to stick with schiit for a while Y Cable awaaaay

5. Keno18
    No mention was made of any particular combination to avoid, the tech didn't know what combination of equipment I was referring to, he seemed to imply it didn't matter.

6. riffrafff
    That's what I do. I detect no difference in SQ. My Schiit-chain looks like this:

CPU->Eitr->Mimby->Loki Mini->y-cables->Magni 3 and Vali 2->those into->SYS (2-into-1, and then into my active near-field speakers on my desk).

The SYS, in this configuration, always has its "volume" pot maxed out.

IMGP6977.JPG

An earlier photo I took for someone asking about the Y-cables:
    20180820_173439.jpg

7. xformulax
    Thanks for the detailed response.

Thanks, I have reached out to info@schiit.com with the same question and I'm waiting for reply.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. xformulax
    Thanks for the photos, very helpful, this sounds like the exact scenario (minus the LOKI) that I was thinking of. Can you look at this diagram and verify the statements are true (and the connections?) You can ignore the TOSlink/HT setup in blue. And I wouldn't even need the SYS if I just wanted the monitors on the MAGNI?
    SCHIIT STACK.PNG

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    CrownLands and riffrafff like this.
  9. riffrafff
    Yep, looks good. :thumbsup:

10. ScubaMan2017
    The SYS box is a dandy switch. Schiit's site emphasizes that it's a passive switch that can work backwards (an expensive option). See FAQ number 8 on their site. I have INPUT-1 going to a radio several meters away... INPUT-2 going to a ModiMB. You want (a source) >>> SYS >>> amp1 + amp2. Should work w/o issue. My 2 cents (from the cheap seats)...

11. Jacobh
    If you just want to split a signal as described, as both Schiit support and other posters have said a RCA Y-cable is fine and there will be no noticeable signal degradation. If you want to switch and only feed one at a time, then you need a switch. You can use a backwards SYS for this if you like the look, but you can find cheaper switches if you only want to switch.

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  12. ScubaMan2017
    Well, I ordered my first tube amp... yep, a Vali. I noticed the Lyr’s on backorder until at least the end of October.

NOW I understand a bit more of what @xformulax & @riffrafff were discussing about routing audio to various amp/pre-amp destinations. I tried making those RCA Y-splitter on the cheap, with scrap coxial cable - without success. I don’t want a tangle of 75 ohm cable tucked behind my little silver boxes. Answer: Amazon Basics.... even with the Canadian dollar at what it is, my cables will cost $7-10/piece + shipping.

Cables. Y-splitters. Grandma’s NOS. Yep, time to hit the garage sales, and those ghoulish “contents sales” about town. If I want to keep my costs down, I might even visit a pawn shop (first time for me). :ksc75smile:

13. xformulax
    Nice, I actually found these that I had from a clearance set of long RCA's I got for my subwoofers a few years back. My only concern is if they're rotated and the ground touches each other? I'll likely get the wyvern y-cable on amazon so I won't have to worry about it, or plasti-dip spray the "body" of the connectors.
    download (1).jpg

14. Keno18
    Take a look at Monoprice on Amazon, I'm ordering mine for about $5.50 per cable and Monoprice is recommended by Schiit Audio.
    BTW: Congrats on the Vali, good choice.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  15. ScubaMan2017
    Eerie connection! And plastic sprayon insulator!? Nice.
    My wife muses that all my hobbies are expensive: SCUBA, telescopes, chainsaws, bushcraft knives,... It’ll either be Amazon Basics or Monoprice.

First

Back
139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148
150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159
Next

Last