1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by inseconds99, Dec 11, 2015.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last
  1. painted klown
    I cannot compare the Vali 2 to the Asgard 2, as I have never heard the Asgard 2, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

In regards to low Z cans, I can confirm that the Vali 2 does an excellent job with them. All of my 'phones (aside from the HD-650) are also low Z and the Vali 2 has no problems with them.

As noted earlier ITT, when using low Z cans on high gain mode, there is a slight low level hum that can be heard. To my ears, the hum sounds more like an electrical/60 second cycle type of hum, than what I would consider amp noise, if that makes sense.

The hum does not change volume with the amp. It remains at the same low level no matter the volume setting (even completely turned down). I am not sure of the hum in inherent in the tube, amp design, or possibly even something that power conditioning could take care of. Having said that, I didn't even notice the hum until it was mentioned by another user, and I went back to listen for it. It really is a non-issue IMO, especially because it disappears completely when in low gain mode (which you would be using for low Z 'phones anyway) and I cannot hear it at all (with either gain setting) on my 650.

Specs according to the Schiit website are as follows:

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db, 5Hz-150KHz, -3dB
    Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 1300mW RMS per channel
    Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1000mW RMS per channel
    Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 650mW RMS per channel
    Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 270mW RMS per channel
    Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 140mW RMS per channel
    THD: <0.03%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS, low gain 
    IMD: <0.05%, CCIR, low gain
    SNR: >99db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS, low gain
    Crosstalk: -68dB, 20Hz-20KHz

Output Impedance: 1.2 ohms in low gain mode, 5.8 ohms in high gain mode
    Gain: 5 (14dB) or 1.25 (2dB)

Topology: Tube voltage gain with convolved bipolar current mode inverter and discrete bipolar class AB output stage
    Protection: delayed start and fast shut-down with muting relay
    Power Supply: wall wart with 24VAC and 6VAC outputs, regulated HV and LV rails for tube and bipolar components, 6V AC heater 
    Power Consumption: 9W

Size: 5 x 3.5 x 2.75”
    Weight: 1 lb

Hope that helps! [​IMG]

-Dave

2. Capt369

Yes, thanks for your input. I may just order one, they give you a couple weeks to listen to it and then can be sent back if it doesn`t better the asgard in some respect. I emailed Nick at schiit to get his input.

3. rgmffn

I'm not sure anyone can tell you accurately what experiences you can expect.  So much depends on your equipment, your preferred style of music, and what sound signature you like.  To be sure, me thinks you're gonna have to try it for yourself.  Just think of it this way, just think of all the fun you'll have. [​IMG]

I don't have the Vali 2... yet, but I do have the org Vali and the Asgard 2, at the moment.  Can you let us know what Nick has to say, if possible. You can paraphrase.  I, as well as others I'm sure, would be interested. 

4. dmallen
    Hi all, got the Vali 2 yesterday. Setup is MAC mini, toslink to Brifrost DAC and Vali 2. First impressions this little tube amp is awesome. I have listened with Hifiman HE-400s and HD650's. Got a few IEM's (Westone 4R and Shure SE535) to try out soon, but enjoying the open cans too much at the moment. I took some pics but as a new starter to this site not allow to post them yet. As for distortion... none.

Like to also give 10/10 to Schiit for there service. Very helpful, emails get quick replies and even with a small change in my order, done... no problems.

5. Capt369

I will.

6. bigro

The Lyr 2 Is a Tube Hybrid, Just as the Vali 2 is. Tubes on the input side and solid state on the output side.The Valhalla is an all tube amplifier. The Lyr 2 Has Monster Power Compared to the Vali 2. That is one Amp I would like to try.

The Asgard 2 is a gem of an amp. My buddy rmoody has one and it is very impressive. At this Point I do not have the need for an Asgard 2 but I sure as hell would love to have one.  The Vali 2 for a change of pace, sure. It s a pretty inexpensive way to get some of that tube goodness and it's not like taking a step down in quality. Be aware you will more than likely disturb you inner peace as you try to figure you which one you like better. 

7. Capt369

I had a Cary SLI-80 on my big rig before I had to sell it so I know the tube sound in a big way and I love it'

8. sheldaze
    I agree with what others have had to say - it will be hard to tell, your tastes and if you will like the tube sound from the Vali 2. However:

1. Vali 2 will have zero issues with the cans you have listed - no impedance mismatch problems. My Grado headphones are low impedance, and I really dug the sound: m9XX > Vali 2 > SR60i
    2. I would not recommend the Vali 2 (or any tube amplifier) for use with the Fostex TH-X00. This is such a lush sounding headphone, by its nature, such that no additives are necessary or in my opinion helpful. This is quite different from an impedance mismatch issue, or a softening of the treble or bass - the Vali 2 does not do those things. But it is still a tube. The TH-X00 sounds great from a sharp, solid-state, low impedance source. Your Asgard 2 likely sounds fantastic with this headphone. I'm currently using it straight from my Grace Design m9XX into the TH-X00 cans.

9. Capt369

Right, I probably wouldn't use it with th xoo or the x2 but I would be curious as to how it pairs with he400s.

10. sheldaze
    Just plugged mine in - no problems [​IMG]

Definitely the HE-400S are one of the pairs of headphones you should try to see if you like the tube sound! Subtle though, like when I tried it with my HE-1000.

11. Capt369
    Before I buy the vali 2, I'll wait to see if someone has both the asgard2 and the valid 2 to get their impressions.

12. bboris77
    Hi Jason,

You guys did a really good job with the Vali 2. I am absolutely blown away with the sound quality even with the stock tubes, especially when used in combination with planar headphones (T50RPmkIII). I know this tube rolling is a slippery slope, so I wonder what kind of improvement or changes to the sound signature one can expect with the 6CG7 tubes. Would you be able to tell us which specific tube Mike has been using? I was planning to order the new production Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 Golds. Honestly though, it's hard to imagine that one can further improve the sound signature of the Vali 2. I guess it's a matter of personal taste at that point.

13. lvince95
    If you don't mind me asking, what changes does the Vali 2 bring with the Fostex? Was the bass boomy, or maybe treble too rolled off or mids too lush?

14. sheldaze
    Nope.

The Vali 2 has none of the adverse reactions that would come from an impedance mismatch (boom), or a "lush" usage of tubes (rolled off) - you can add lush tubes and roll on your own. With the stock tube, I'm finding sound to be quite clear across the entire frequency spectrum. Nothing truly added or taken away, but it is still a tube - hard to explain until you hear it. The tube character just adds nothing to the signature of the TH-X00, which is already very nice and enjoyable. I think you'll find a few more impressions in the Fostex thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/791071/the-official-massdrop-fostex-th-x00-owners-impressions-and-discussions-thread/30#post_12175231

You may need to scroll up a few posts from the link above...

jfoxvol and lvince95 like this.
  15. MrPanda
    Would the Electro-Harmonix 6CG7  work in a Vali 2? Thanks

First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last