Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Mar 3, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #1,876 of 3,690
  I am looking at a possible Vali 2 acquisition. Based on the previous post, I am wondering if other people would characterize their Vali 2 as bright. It could potentially influence my decision. Many thanks for the feedback.

It's only as bright as the tube you use in it. I wasn't a fan of the stock tube. I wouldn't call it bright. I thought it was a little harsh. You want warmth? Use a 6922 or 7308 tube made in the Heerlen factory. I preferred the sound of the German tubes which I think are more accurate and precise. My favorite are the Siemens CCa gray shield tubes from the very early 60's. I used Sennheiser HD 650 cans and did not think the Vali 2 was bright.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #1,877 of 3,690
It's all relative I guess. In this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/838448/want-to-try-a-tube-amp-schiit-fulla-2-vali-2/15#post_13311134) the poster says it's less bright stock than the Fulla 2.

I can only say for me the Vali with stock tubes was brighter than the X-Cans with Sovtek 6922s and similar to my solid state amp. It's definitely not overly bright, but i also wouldn't call it warm stock. I still prefer it to my solid state (on aesthetics alone) and have high hopes for the 6sn7 giving me the sound I like.

I have a JAN Phillips 6922 that I pulled from my X-cans so I'll give that a go when I get a chance as well.

This is with a HD580 and 650.

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #1,881 of 3,690
  I am looking at a possible Vali 2 acquisition. Based on the previous post, I am wondering if other people would characterize their Vali 2 as bright. It could potentially influence my decision. Many thanks for the feedback.

Compared to pure solid state, it is not bright. This is with either the stock tube, or any other tube I've tried (3 or 4 different ones at this point). 

It is not syrupy tube warm, however. 

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #1,882 of 3,690
I'm currently considering to buy the Vali 2 or the Little Dot Mk II but I can't really find any proper comparisons. Could anybody explain to me what differences there could be in their sound signature? Thanks!

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #1,883 of 3,690
I'm currently considering to buy the Vali 2 or the Little Dot Mk II but I can't really find any proper comparisons. Could anybody explain to me what differences there could be in their sound signature? Thanks! 

With all the normal caveats of sound being personal.

I have not heard any of the little dots, but have read a lot trying to answer a similar question. From what I understand the MKII should sound more like what you think about as a stereotypical "tube" sound. Generally that means the treble will be rolled off and the mids will be a little pronounced and "syrupy". This does not mean less detailed necessarily, I think it's more about decay.

The Vali should be more neutral with a little hint of the stereotypical tube sound.

More objectively there are other things to consider. Both offer pre-amp capabilities and variable gain. The Little Dots seem more susceptible noise and ground loops. The Vali has a big wall wart where the Little Dot has a standard power cord (like for a computer). Rolling tubes in the Vali only requires one tube (so it's cheaper and you don't have to worry about matches tubes), but it probably has slightly less of an impact on the sound. They are different sizes and look very different. While I've heard good things about Little Dot service if you buy from their authorized representative, dealing with warranty service in the US will be easier with Schiit and they have a 15 day return window (with restocking fee).

I should also add the Vali will work better with low impedance headphones and can put out a lot more power for low impedance but inefficient headphones like planars.

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #1,884 of 3,690
With all the normal caveats of sound being personal.

I have not heard any of the little dots, but have read a lot trying to answer a similar question. From what I understand the MKII should sound more like what you think about as a stereotypical "tube" sound. Generally that means the treble will be rolled off and the mids will be a little pronounced and "syrupy". This does not mean less detailed necessarily, I think it's more about decay.

The Vali should be more neutral with a little hint of the stereotypical tube sound.

More objectively there are other things to consider. Both offer pre-amp capabilities and variable gain. The Little Dots seem more susceptible noise and ground loops. The Vali has a big wall wart where the Little Dot has a standard power cord (like for a computer). Rolling tubes in the Vali only requires one tube (so it's cheaper and you don't have to worry about matches tubes), but it probably has slightly less of an impact on the sound. They are different sizes and look very different. While I've heard good things about Little Dot service if you buy from their authorized representative, dealing with warranty service in the US will be easier with Schiit and they have a 15 day return window (with restocking fee).

I should also add the Vali will work better with low impedance headphones and can put out a lot more power for low impedance but inefficient headphones like planars.

Vali2 (& Modi MB) sounds very good with HE500. Plenty of juice to drive them on low gain too.

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #1,885 of 3,690
So my 6SN7 to ECC88 adapter came in and either the adapter or the tube is bad, but I'm not sure how to tell since I only have one of each. Any suggestions?

The tube lights up, but I only get sound out of one channel and a buzzing (that changes if I touch the base of the tube/adapter) in the other channel. It also looks like the adapter could fit into the Vali in two orientations (since there are two gaps).

On the positive side the 6N3 adapters seem to work and I'm enjoying a GE 5670w more than the stock tube so far.

This is what the bottom of the adapter looks like:

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #1,886 of 3,690
So my 6SN7 to ECC88 adapter came in and either the adapter or the tube is bad, but I'm not sure how to tell since I only have one of each. Any suggestions?

The tube lights up, but I only get sound out of one channel and a buzzing (that changes if I touch the base of the tube/adapter) in the other channel. It also looks like the adapter could fit into the Vali in two orientations (since there are two gaps).

On the positive side the 6N3 adapters seem to work and I'm enjoying a GE 5670w more than the stock tube so far.

This is what the bottom of the adapter looks like:

I'm a tube novice, but it seems odd that the adapter only has 8 pins instead of 9 

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #1,887 of 3,690
Looking at the pin outs, I can't see how this can possibly work.  The ebay listing I purchased it from has 9 pins in the picture, so unfortunately it looks like I got a dud.  Hopefully the seller will just send a new one and I'm only out a few weeks waiting.  At least the 6N3 adapters seem fine.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,888 of 3,690
So, I'm not sure if it's only recently come up or it's because my Teaks are easier to drive than my HD650's, but I definitely have a rather distracting hum from my Vali whether in low or high gain mode. It is much less noticeable on my 650's, which may well be why I haven't noticed it until the last couple weeks when I really started listening with my Teaks. I looked back in this thread and found a few comments about it but wasn't sure if there were any causes or fixes identified. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back