*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Mar 17, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #2,327 of 2,577

You would always want the minimum amount of gain for more granular volume control.

The volume pot is not digital, it is not discontinuous, One might want the minimum amount of gain for the best SNR, however, the gain in headphone amps is pretty low. The Magni2 has a gain of only1.5 (3 dB) on the low setting, this is not a microphone preamp. I wouldn't lose sleep over this, unless I was busy listening to music and couldn't sleep.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #2,328 of 2,577
  The volume pot is not digital, it is not discontinuous, One might want the minimum amount of gain for the best SNR, however, the gain in headphone amps is pretty low. The Magni2 has a gain of only1.5 (3 dB) on the low setting, this is not a microphone preamp. I wouldn't lose sleep over this, unless I was busy listening to music and couldn't sleep.

Nobody is losing sleep over this, I'm just stating facts.

The power level of Magni 2 is far too much for sensitive IEM's and more sensitive headphones as many have said which is why I opted to not get it. Its pretty obvious too when you see 1+W RMS / channel and most larger headphones are using 200MW (peak) with max power handling of like 500mw.
Personally I think that if they do a Magni 3 they should tone its power down a bit, because their bigger Amps have even more power, and those with really demanding expensive headphones would be willing to spend more for an Amp anyway. While those of us with lower power IEM's and headphones are unable to really buy anything past the Fulla 2 since the power is so intense.

Personally I ended up getting the Ultimate Ears adapter to reduce power output for my IEM's because even on the Fulla2 my Panasonic RP-HD10's are already beyond what is "acceptable" volume at about 15% on the POT of the Fulla2.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #2,329 of 2,577

Nobody is losing sleep over this, I'm just stating facts.

The power level of Magni 2 is far too much for sensitive IEM's and more sensitive headphones as many have said which is why I opted to not get it. Its pretty obvious too when you see 1+W RMS / channel and most larger headphones are using 200MW (peak) with max power handling of like 500mw.
Personally I think that if they do a Magni 3 they should tone its power down a bit, because their bigger Amps have even more power, and those with really demanding expensive headphones would be willing to spend more for an Amp anyway. While those of us with lower power IEM's and headphones are unable to really buy anything past the Fulla 2 since the power is so intense.

Personally I ended up getting the Ultimate Ears adapter to reduce power output for my IEM's because even on the Fulla2 my Panasonic RP-HD10's are already beyond what is "acceptable" volume at about 15% on the POT of the Fulla2.

Sounds like you could use an LPAD to reduce the power delivered to your IEMs. Essentially each channel has two resistors that connect between the amp and your IEMs/cans. The ratio of the resistors works to attenuate the output of the amp and maintain impedances. I don't know is anyone makes this for headphones with a selection of attenuation factors and impedances. You can find these in stereo rheostat form for loudspeakers but they are designed for 8 Ohm loads. You might be able to adapt one for your use, only the 8 Ohms would waste a lot of power and keep your Amp warm, unless it's a class A (Asgard 2) and it might actually cool off the Amp a drop..

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #2,330 of 2,577

Sounds like you could use an LPAD to reduce the power delivered to your IEMs. Essentially each channel has two resistors that connect between the amp and your IEMs/cans. The ratio of the resistors works to attenuate the output of the amp and maintain impedances. I don't know is anyone makes this for headphones with a selection of attenuation factors and impedances. You can find these in stereo rheostat form for loudspeakers but they are designed for 8 Ohm loads. You might be able to adapt one for your use, only the 8 Ohms would waste a lot of power and keep your Amp warm, unless it's a class A (Asgard 2) and it might actually cool off the Amp a drop..

Like I said I have a in-line resistor now from Ultimate Ears

http://pro.ultimateears.com/adjustable-ambient-filters-236

It actually works really well.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2,331 of 2,577
Funnily enough I find the Magni 2 better than the Fulla 2 for efficient IEMs. There's much less channel imbalance on the Magni 2 and a lower noise floor. I have no issues powering my efficient KZ ZS3 just under my regular listening volume while the Fulla 2 required me to have the volume just over my preferred listening level to get out of channel imbalance territory.

I thought it might be because the Fulla 2 has a higher gain setting than the Magni 2's low gain option, but the Magni 2 had a lot more power, so maybe that's not it...

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2,332 of 2,577
  Like I said I have a in-line resistor now from Ultimate Ears

http://pro.ultimateears.com/adjustable-ambient-filters-236

It actually works really well.

They don't say what's in there. If it's a single resistor it's value can possibly wreak audio havoc with a transducer that has a varying impedance curve. It might also lower the damping ratio, some transducers might not behave well as a result. If it works for you, then you're good to go. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #2,335 of 2,577
  The UE Buffer Jack is probably a quality product. I opted for a different solution, on the inputs: http://www.head-fi.org/t/640783/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier/2235#post_13254036

Yes I actually read your post before I decided to go with the Ultimate ears one. Especially since it works easily with any headphones

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #2,336 of 2,577
Yes I actually read your post before I decided to go with the Ultimate ears one. Especially since it works easily with any headphones

I actually have a SYS between my Mimby and Vali 2, this way I can lower the volume going into the amp for my sensitive cans and have it going at full power for my harder to drive ones.

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #2,337 of 2,577
So any thoughts about using a JDS Labs ODAC with a Magni 2 Uber with the Q701 and HD650?

I may get a Modi 2 eventually as well, but I have a perfectly good ODAC already laying around.

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #2,340 of 2,577

Do it then!
ODAC is really good from everything I have read.

Magni 2 Uber has been ordered! It's been a while since I had a desktop headphone amp. 

I am also bidding on a Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6xx on ebay right now. It includes the regularly supplied cable, plus some kind of upgrade cable. Seller didn't list details on the cable, but whatever. Right now it's at $255 and ends in a few hours. It's also been a while since I had an HD650. Had one a few years ago along with a Headroom amp/dac but had to sell it all when I ran into a small money problem and had other priorities. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back